PDA

View Full Version : Lighting

Elinor
09-18-2002, 03:33 PM
Just curious about what lighting you guys use. I need to get some lights for evening painting but just not sure. Some give off a very orange hue and others are too cool. I have been doing most of my work during the day in natural light.

maverick
09-18-2002, 03:43 PM
My lighting is terrible, but I did switch to using a compact fluorescent bulb. During the day, I have light coming in from outside, plus the bulb. It's not bright enough at night with the bulb alone for my liking. I'd like to get one of those natural light lamps some day. I photograph my work outside in the shade. I'm always impressed with how much better my paintings look in natural light.

KarenU
09-18-2002, 04:20 PM
I have a big window on one of my studio walls, so I get alot of natural light during the day. I also have 5 can lights in the ceiling of my studio. Right now they are just regular bulbs, which cast a funny color, I'm going to switch them over to the natural light bulbs if I can find them.

Elinor
09-20-2002, 08:24 PM
Thanks Karen and Maverick

I never seem to be happy with my lighting at night and its amazing how it affects colors.

KarenU
09-20-2002, 09:48 PM
Absolutely....I completely agree about the nighttime lighting...that's why I'm going to try and switch over to the natural light lightbulbs.

DFGray
09-21-2002, 12:43 AM
Hi
In the studio I use full spectrum tubes in a flouestent fixture above my easle, and halogen spot.
the more light the better, a pastel that looks good under bright lights will look good under less but not vice versa, and will be seen in a gallery with halogen spot lights.
regards
Dan

chookbrown
09-21-2002, 09:45 AM
Hi, I use an OTT Lite - True color or full spectrum light. I usually like to work at night so this gives me great lighting to work in.

This is the one I use for flatwork and at the moment I have been turning the head upwards to shine on my easel but will be installing some of their overhead lights as soon as I can get someone to do it!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2002/ott1.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2002/ott2.jpg

This is a link (http://www.ott-lite.com/) to their website for info on their products. You can also get them at most art stores.

Colleen :D

maverick
09-21-2002, 09:45 AM
Dan just reminded me. I do have 5 halogen spot lights on a track in my home office. It almost runs the entire length of one wall where I hang my framed pieces to look at. I also have another track of 2 mini flood lights that I can adjust, and 8 pot lights in the ceiling. Too bad I can't work with pastels in there. I'm afraid of getting dust in the carpet. Otherwise it would make a great studio.

I got the halogen track lighting at my local home center (where they wear those orange aprons ;))

Elinor
09-21-2002, 07:40 PM
Colleen & Dan thanks for your help and thanks Colleen for posting the picture. I will check out that site also.

Maverick is it possible to cover your carpet with a plastic tarp or something while you work? But I guess if its an office you would have your cp in there as well and dont need any dust getting into that.

Karen I think I will also look into the natural or full spectrum lights as well.