PDA

View Full Version : PSA prospectus

Deborah Secor
03-11-2010, 08:45 PM
http://www.pastelsocietyofamerica.org/2010%20Prospectus.pdf

Here's a link to the PSA prospectus. They're accepting digital entries for the first time, too! :thumbsup:

Anyone plan to enter this year? It's the best of the best of the best!
Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
03-11-2010, 08:54 PM
Are you?

Deborah Secor
03-11-2010, 08:58 PM
I might...but I'm not sure yet.

You?

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
03-11-2010, 09:00 PM
Very cool :thumbsup:

I'm considering ... not sure what to enter :o

robertsloan2
03-11-2010, 09:46 PM
That would be very cool, but I don't think my pastels are good enough yet for a competition on that scale this year. Also, I don't live anywhere near there. If I got accepted, how would I deliver uncrated art to the place on time on the right day and pick it up on the right day? Or does that safe art transport company do that for entrants who are out of town?

Deborah Secor
03-11-2010, 10:56 PM
Yes, they're the shipping agent. You send your painting to them, they uncrate it, deliver it, pick it up (if it doesn't sell) and reship it to you. For a price. Last time I did it the cost was over $100 and that was a few years back!

Deborah

PeggyB
03-12-2010, 01:17 PM
I was told by someone who lives on the west coast that unless you know someone who lives in NYC or thereabout willing to deliver the work for you, that you should be prepared to spend between $200 - $250 (including entry, shipping and handling fees) to participate in this show. Obviously the closer to the city you live the less the shipping fee will be, but the entry and handling fees are set. I'm not interested in spending that much money just to say I've had work in any show at this time in my life (retirement income just doesn't go very far these days.)

However, as Deborah said, this is perhaps the best of the best or at least the one that may have the largest number of entries in the competition (not all societies advertise exactly how many entries they receive so I can't say for certain they really do have the most, but I suspect it is the most at PSA).

Peggy

robertsloan2
03-12-2010, 03:19 PM
Thanks! It's good to know that if I reach a point where I think my best is comparable, I could do it -- at that investment. It would take my saving up for the expenses in order to handle it, setting aside that money as soon as I did the entry fees. But it's good to know that shipping company handles it that well. I'd also have to frame my work in order to do it, that'd cost too.

I'm not ready this year, but maybe once I'm a self supporting author it may be feasible. It's cool to dream, but I think I'd want to know my work was consistently in a category with the winners to invest that much, not just send stuff and hope and then find out that there is a difference between "decent leisure painter" and "the best professionals out there." I think if the work stood on its own it wouldn't matter that I was a leisure painter.

Am I right about that, or do they look at the artist's curriculum vitae too in deciding who is included and who wins?

Deborah Secor
03-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Nope, Robert, as you can see there's no request for a CV or anything else. They judge on the quality of the work presented, not your credentials.

Yikes, Peggy! I guess I shouldn't be surprised, since it is NYC and nothing is inexpensive in the city. I'm sure it's more than worth it for the folks who enter, though. I mean, you're playing with the 'big kids'! :wink2:

Deborah