PDA

View Full Version : Irritated with Customer Service

deb9654
03-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Grrr.... This is just so Irritating. I placed an order with Jerry's Artarama and it came last week. They made a mistake on one of the open stock pastels...sent the wrong one. It's $1.51. I called to let them know and got their voice mail. It was during the hours they were open, but I figured they were busy so I left a message with my contact info, order number, etc., asking how they'd like to handle the return and letting them know that I do want the one I ordered. I received no return call last week. Figuring they my be really busy, I decided to wait until Monday and see what happened.

Yesterday I got home from work and there was no message from them. I called again. Same voice mail. Left another detailed message. Got home today and still no response. Called yet again and left my 3rd message. I told them that I was pretty surprised that they seem to be willing to lose a customer over one pastel and that how soon they respond to my last message to them will determine if I ever order from them again. I also mentioned that I'm an active member of WC and will post about my experience. That was an hour ago and still no response.

So I'm done with them! I usually use Dick Blick because their customer service is exceptional but Jerry's was having a sale. I'd rather pay a few bucks more than be treated badly.

Thanks for listening. :D

Lynndidj
03-10-2010, 06:40 PM
So irritating - poor customer service will kill a business for me. And, ironically, I just received an e-mail today from Jerry's talking about their new commitment to service and price, etc.

Lynn

deb9654
03-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Pretty funny! I just did one more thing. Filled out the form on their website and included what has happened so far. It says I should hear something in 24 hours. I'll believe that when I see it! :D

Donna T
03-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Deb, I have tried twice now to get Jerry's to respond to my plea to have my email address fixed on their end. When I try to place an order and give them my address it says it's "already in use" and won't accept it. I'm not a computer genius but it would probably take someone about a minute to reset this. My 24 hours is up today ... I'm still waiting too!

allydoodle
03-10-2010, 07:26 PM
Deb,

I have ordered from ASW and I think they are affiliated with Jerry's - not sure, but I think so. Anyway, on the few times I've had a problem with an order with ASW (normally they've been pretty good), I never go to Customer Service Voice Mail. I go straight to the order desk, and get my problem resolved there. They always answer that phone because they love taking orders! I find that if I just go into my issue/problem, and not ask for Customer Service, they just take care of it and any replacement ships right away. I wonder if Jerry's works the same way - it is worth a try. I guess the moral of the story is never leave a message if you can get a live person. In any case, you shouldn't have to go through this to resolve an issue, it's poor customer service, and it's not worth buying from anyone if you can't reach them to solve a problem.

FYI, I just placed an order with Dakota Art in Washington State, and thus far they were a pleasure to deal with. They had to partial ship my order (some items were not in stock), and I only paid for freight once. My remaining items are supposed to be at my house tomorrow according to the online UPS tracker. They just might be my new favorite art store. I've also ordered from Dick Blick, and they've always been a pleasure to deal with too. Good luck - I hope you resolve your issue.

robertsloan2
03-10-2010, 07:36 PM
I believe it. They may be trying to improve it but they have a long way to go to begin to come close to the service Blick or Dakota have.

Chris, yes, phoning the order number does help to get an actual person and get problems straightened out.

I found out what the deal is with ASW and Jerry's -- they share a customer service center and are owned by brothers, but are two separate businesses. At least that's what I heard. I too was shocked to get the "Jerry's Artarama" call center when I was phoning ASW.

I haven't had a problem with Jerry's per se, but I know it's the same system and I don't really expect much from their customer service, which is a lot of why I keep going to Blick and now Dakota.

Potoma
03-10-2010, 07:39 PM
I gave up calling to ask about product info, wrote them, and still haven't heard back.

saramathewson
03-10-2010, 09:41 PM
How annoying! when I had a problem with an order from Dakota they wre very helpful. unfortunately I never got back to them about the two pastels they owed me because I had been in the hospital and then recovering and forgot about it until just now. that was several months ago so I'm not sure I would stil be able to get them. i will have to see. they sent me a list of what I should have gotten and I wrote down what I did get so I could compare. I just keep forgetting to find that list as I have moved two times since then--ugh!

Sara

CM Neidhofer
03-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Dealing with Jerry's in person was never any better. We had..I stress HAD..one of their stores in Englewood, CO. I was so happy when I heard they would be opening. But, in all the times I went there, only once did they have what I wanted. They could order it, didn't know how long it would take to get and leave my name and number and they would call me when it came it. Needless to say, and not surprising, the last time I drove by there, they were out of business.

robertsloan2
03-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Yeah. I only found out when I broke the sticks that my Art Spectrum Pure Tones set had two duplicate colors -- and so presumably two colors missing from the set. I'm not going to bother trying to go through all that for two pastels on a Clearance set anyway, they're sold out of the set. I just put two useful colors on my next Blick order in the basket (which is usually my shopping list) and will put the spares away -- they're blues so I'll get to them eventually, I use blues on large areas.

ourcassidy!
03-11-2010, 12:21 AM
For my $$ one can't beat Blick's Customer Service! I placed an order for a class that I attend. One member decided after the order came she didn't want the two sets of colored pencils she had ordered. I called blicks and explained. I felt terrible, but I didn't need them as I already had the same. These items were placed on my Credit Card...anyway they came thru like champs and were very kind about returning the items.

I have been in probably 3 different Blick stores and find the stock rather thin in 2 of them. The Boston store was great, the Berkeley, Oakland stores rather small, but did have good supplies of products that I am sure the majority of folks need. No Amprasand Aquaboard, nor any Pastel Boards...etc. But given the fact that they are a franchise (so I am told) and owned seperately I think do pretty well.

Pam

PETE K
03-11-2010, 01:34 AM
Ok They are the same. same co. same customer service. same wherehouse same computer system. just different names. You need to stay on the phone untill someone answers and they do close about 4:30 or 5pm never leave a message no one ever gets back to you by phone. the whole place works on e mails. there customer service people are very nice you just got to get them. there is not that many of them. and they do both companys. and one stick they will only give you a credit back on your card. if it's something larger they just send you it out new if damaged. you don't even send it back. and as for Blick they take it back yes with no problems but you pay the freight if its not damaged. I find you will go back to them just like i do. unless you have deep pockets and don't mind paying quite a bit more on your orders. well that just my view on it.

granddad
03-11-2010, 09:49 AM
I had a bad experience with Jerry's also. Though emails not on the phone. Finially gave up trying to get a response. I guess its really easy to delete a email and not say anything about it. But like Pete said, eventually, I'll go back, sooner or later.. James

allydoodle
03-11-2010, 11:45 AM
Ok They are the same. same co. same customer service. same wherehouse same computer system. just different names

Pete,

I thought so. For all the times I've ordered from ASW, their customer service was fine. Recently I ordered a 50 piece Mount Visions Landscape set. It comes in two boxes, but I only received one. The packing list said the order was shipped complete. I called, explained my dilema, they said the would ship out the missing box, but they then discovered the were out of stock (I guess their stock count is a little messed up, if they didn't have the other half of the item). Anyway, the replacement box wasn't due in until the end of March, and I did not want to wait, so they said to return the one box I had, they paid the freight to return it (after I asked them to), and credited my Visa for the item and the return freight. Really not a problem, and they were very nice. Sometimes their prices are cheaper, so it is worth it. I probably will use them again.

Another thing - last year I purchase some Pan Pastels from them, and one of the colors in the set was broken (a 5 piece dark values set). They sent me out a replacement and told me to keep the broken set - maybe donate it to a club. I ended up giving it to my good friend and mentor to try. I thought that was nice. You just have to keep in mind that a REAL LIVE BREATHING PERSON :lol: is much better than email or phone messages, at least with this company!

blickguy
03-11-2010, 04:02 PM
For my $$ one can't beat Blick's Customer Service! I placed an order for a class that I attend.

But given the fact that they are a franchise (so I am told) and owned seperately I think do pretty well.

Pam

Thanks for the kind words about our service. Dick Blick Retail has only company owned stores. Our retail division, however, does stock and price stores differently than our on-line business does. As an example, we carry over 60,000 items in our distribution center, but our largest "A" model stores are under 30,000.

westcoast_Mike
03-11-2010, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the kind words about our service. Dick Blick Retail...

Well there you have part of the equation. Blick does monitor this site and try to respond to any comments regarding themselves. This is not the first time I've seen them do so either. With Dakota you do get a Liver person when you call and they do make good right away. That is a big part of the reason I patronize both.

Sonni
03-12-2010, 08:30 PM
For $1.51 I'd use the errant pastel and forget about it.

deb9654
03-12-2010, 09:21 PM
I understand forgetting about it, but it's not the first time with Jerry's but it will be the last. I ended up calling them and using the order line to get a live person. Supposedly they are sending the new pastel.

I know they are associated with ASW and I had a terrible experience with them during Christmas of 2008. I had the week off and planned to paint my brains out. I needed some supplies and ordered them in plenty of time to get them well before my vacation. When they didn't come, I called and was told they were in the middle of inventory and my order would not be shipped for another week.. When I said to just cancel it, I was told that they were in middle of the shipping process and it was too late to cancel it. They wrecked my painting vacation and needless to say, I haven't ordered from them since.

So while it's only $1.51, I'm sick of rude treatment. Jerry's has received a lot of business from me and if they can't do the customer service well, the will not get anymore of it. I'm sticking with Dick Blick, no matter where the sales are!