PDA

View Full Version : Turpinoid in the green can

IMaybe
03-07-2010, 05:27 PM
:o I just wanted to ask about the Turpinoid Natural in the green can----Do you use it? Does it damage paper? or leave oily stains? I use the blue can, but was sent a green one by mistake form the catalogue I sent to-----and I kept it to clean bushes for oils----I had read something here on WC about the green can' s use for melting pastels for an underpainting---and can't remember if it was a yea' or a nay! Does any of you rememeber that thread? Or have experiance with that? I will bet Deborah Secor has!! I beleive that she has tried many things when it comes to art, and knows the outcome! (Love your Gouche blog, BTW!) Anyway, thanks for your help.

Deborah Secor
03-07-2010, 05:45 PM
Um, well, yeah, Ida, I have used it. (Egad, am I that predictable? :lol:) It left nasty oily stains on my paper and I never bought it again, but that was a looo-ooo-ooong time ago. I think it was even before using Wallis paper--probably in the Ersta era, so others might have discovered ways to use it that I don't know. (Thanks--glad you like the gouache blog! :))

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
03-07-2010, 05:48 PM
I've been told over and over again, never to use it, even the oil painters tell you not to.

robertsloan2
03-07-2010, 11:17 PM
I have the Turpenoid Natural and bought it with delight since it wasn't toxic and was biodegradable and all that. When it arrived I read the fine print on the can that I couldn't use it as a painting medium unless it was less than 25% of the mix!

Well, when I use turpentine for a wash on pastels or for a wash in oils, either way, it's more like 75% turps and 25% paint to get a thin wash. From that point I treated it as "cleaning fluid."

It's great cleaning fluid. I keep it around to get paint stains and pastel blotches off my drafting table, my arm, furniture, anything. It'll take up nearly irreducible stains and it's wonderful for brush cleaning. I just treat it as a Citrus Cleaner rather than something to paint with.

Odorless turpenoid is good for washes though and not quite as nasty as actual turpentine.

saramathewson
03-08-2010, 12:09 PM
I bought it thinking the same as Robert and the main thing that I noticed when using it(full strength) was that it took forever to dry. Like over a week or something ridiculous like that. so, I haven't used it since. Once it dried it was fine though.

Sara

westcoast_Mike
03-08-2010, 03:05 PM
Avoid it. The advice I received from Richard McKinley on it is that you'll wind up with a gummy mess.

IMaybe
03-08-2010, 07:27 PM
:) Thanks to all of you! I thought it may be trouble! It does make the oils brushes feel clean, and limber and look shinny so I guess the job for it will be brush-cleaning! Westcoast Mike, Thanks for your imput---If Richard has tried it, and finds it a gooey mess, that's all I need to hear. RobertSloane: I will ask you, tho, are you telling me its not good to use to thin oils at all? Someone said for a thin oil stain, it takes forever to dry---so I guess thats out, as well.

I do have the turpinoid in the blue can, and have used it on Wallis and its great----and for cleaning oil brushes, too. I am so glad I asked you all about this, thanks.

Kirin
04-05-2010, 11:24 PM
I currently use this as I am allergic to most turpentines and mineral spirits, leaving me one very very sad painter. I use it with water mixable oils as a thinner, and it works marvelously. I've had no problems with it, either in drying time or "gummy-ness". The only downfall I can find is the orangy scent is a little nauseatingly sickly sweet.

DAK723
04-06-2010, 01:23 PM
I will ask you, tho, are you telling me its not good to use to thin oils at all? Someone said for a thin oil stain, it takes forever to dry---so I guess thats out, as well.

As Robert mentioned, it is not recommended to thin oils, unless you use only a small amount (25% or less of your medium).

From the manufacturer's website:

Turpenoid Natural® is an extremely effective nontoxic brush cleaner and gentle brush conditioner which rinses out with plain water. Brushes are reconditioned when cleaned with Turpenoid Natural®. It is non-flammable, does not irritate skin or eyes and does not emit harmful vapors. It is an effective painting medium when used within recommended guidelines. Now, artists seeking safer choices, as well as students, seniors and those unable to enjoy the pleasures of oil painting because of problems with traditional solvents, have a new safe alternative. Not recommended with Damar Varnish or crystals. Use in paint mediums should not exceed 25% to ensure proper drying time. Do not use Turpenoid Natural® to create washes, glazes or to “wet” canvas before painting.

Don