PDA

View Full Version : The March Oil Pastel Challenge!!!

GOSH
03-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Hello! Fashionably late but arriving in style.
:cool:
I hope you enjoy this months' choices. As usual, you can manipulate the images to suit your style and imagination.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Mar-2010/143278-SSPX1099.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Mar-2010/143278-SSPX0762.jpg (My favorite...)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Mar-2010/143278-SSPX0876.jpg

Have Fun! :wave:

Pat Isaac
03-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Thanks so much for filling in Gosh. Here is the challenge everyone....great pics.

Pat

GOSH
03-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Thanks, Pat. The two trucking pictures were taken by RG but he was kind enough to let me use them this month.

robertsloan2
03-03-2010, 04:46 PM
Thanks for filling in, Gosh! Great pictures, I'm really looking forward to this one.

MaryThompson
03-03-2010, 04:57 PM
It's going to be hard to choose! Do I pick the one that's easier and I have a chance of doing well? Or do I pick the prettiest one, that's also the most challenging?

Life's full of difficult choices. :lol:

truck driver
03-03-2010, 05:18 PM
It's going to be hard to choose! Do I pick the one that's easier and I have a chance of doing well? Or do I pick the prettiest one, that's also the most challenging?

Life's full of difficult choices. :lol:
pick both ... sometimes the ones you think are difficult are easy. and well sometimes the reverse is true as well..

Thank you Gosh for filling in with very little warning... as in 3:30 p.m on the 2nd.

RG

oldrockchick
03-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Hooray for the new challenge... some interstingly different refs here.. love the sunset. .. will do at least one for sure.

Thanks for filling in GOSH :)

GOSH
03-03-2010, 07:14 PM
You're welcome. :wave:

GOSH
03-04-2010, 04:38 AM
You're welcome. :wave:

So...the photo is bad but this is what it has been done so far The apples are not the nice jewel-jelly color I wanted them to be and I need to correct the dish too. Hopefully finished by tomorrow, Senneliers (numbers are a mystery), 11"x14", pre-primed canvas on board.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2010/143278-SSPX1102.jpg

bchlvr
03-04-2010, 05:33 AM
Nice apples Gosh...they have a nice glow.

marionh
03-04-2010, 06:40 AM
Thanks for hosting GOSH. I'm definitely going to join in this month. I like the sunset and then the apples, so will try to do two.

I did start one last month, but only just. May finish that one as well.

truck driver
03-04-2010, 07:07 AM
some background on the two pictures that I took, hey its obvious which ones..

the sunset was taken at a rest area headed north bound on I5 aprox 60 miles north of the california oregon state line.

The second one is taken on a backroads run through southern oregon headed towards Medford,or from Bend,or the river is the world famous Rouge river. I'm rather proud of that picture that is a long winding 2 lane stretch not an easy pull..

RG

robertsloan2
03-04-2010, 07:45 AM
Nice apples, Gosh! Can't wait to see the next version. I think you got the wood very well too. You're tempting me to try them in my Senneliers.

RG, the first one with the mirror is so striking. I'm amazed you didn't get any blurring on it, that is beautiful. I guess if it's a rest area that makes sense, you were stopped. The second one was gorgeous too. I'm a bit intimidated by doing vehicles though, so might not dare try that one.

Pat Isaac
03-04-2010, 07:57 AM
Great start on the apples, Gosh.

Pat

truck driver
03-04-2010, 05:46 PM
Nice apples, Gosh! Can't wait to see the next version. I think you got the wood very well too. You're tempting me to try them in my Senneliers.

RG, the first one with the mirror is so striking. I'm amazed you didn't get any blurring on it, that is beautiful. I guess if it's a rest area that makes sense, you were stopped. The second one was gorgeous too. I'm a bit intimidated by doing vehicles though, so might not dare try that one.

The one with the mirror, was driving in oregon at 55 mph down a 2 lane back country road. Not on a major highway. It is really hard to take a picture in a mirror and get it to look like that.... while driving an 18 wheeler..

RG

GOSH
03-04-2010, 11:16 PM
I'm almost finished with the mirrored landscape so I can go back and return to the apples. The mirrored landscape is easier. The sunset is lovely and it whispers watercolor. Will be posting the results as soon as possible...perhaps tonight...

GOSH
03-05-2010, 11:38 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Mar-2010/143278-SSPX1105.jpg

Photo doesn't do it justice. It's an easier photo than you may think.

Pat Isaac
03-06-2010, 08:23 AM
Good job with the mirrored landscape, Gosh. It does appear to be a difficilt subject, but you have handled it well.

Pat

GOSH
03-06-2010, 08:46 AM
Good job with the mirrored landscape, Gosh. It does appear to be a difficilt subject, but you have handled it well.

Pat

Thank you, Pat. The subject is rather easy against all perceived notions. It would be harder if it was only trees and shrubs. The hardest was the brackets and the image was cropped unintentionally. I forgot: Senneliers, primed canvas on board, 11"x14".

marionh
03-08-2010, 03:48 AM
I've started on the apples- that plate is a real challenge:evil:

Here are some progress shots 22x30 on reverse side of ingress 150g dark greyish beige paper. Usual mixture of pastels starting with DR artist OPs and then overlaying with neopastels and senneliers.

Where I am at at the moment - stage 3
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Mar-2010/42113-apples_on_white_plate_stage_3_800x600.JPG

Stage 1 - underpainting
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Mar-2010/42113-apples_on_white_plate_stage_1_800x600.JPG

Stage 2 - making it look 'real'
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Mar-2010/42113-apples_on_white_plate_stage_2_800x600.JPG

It's an experiment using the dark paper and not blending.
But I think I should have underpainted the forms first with white (maybe I need some guoache for use on paper?). I am resisting the urge to blend but I think I may loose this battle:lol:

Pat Isaac
03-08-2010, 07:53 AM
Nice start, Marion. Yes, ellipses can be a challenge, at least I always find them to be. Right now I think the blue is a little intense. Curious..why are you resistiing blending?

Pat

marionh
03-08-2010, 08:47 AM
Thanks Pat.
Yes there is still much work to do on the plate.

I was trying cross hatching as a way to keep it lively. It's a technique that bypasses me as I just don't get it, but when I see work done that way I love the light airy feeling it usually has. I'm loosing the battle and think that my next pass at it will be blending LOL

VladK
03-08-2010, 10:07 AM
Gosh, nice works, especially mirrored lanscape, which seems tricky to me.

Marion, love your colors and style, and thank you for showing WIP

rsatish
03-08-2010, 11:09 PM
Thanks Gosh for the beautiful photos. Just finished with the apples one, c&c are welcome. It is done on canson mi-teintes water color paper
-Ram.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Mar-2010/215875-P1010471.JPG

Pat Isaac
03-09-2010, 08:01 AM
Nicely done....good color and textures. Like that wood grain.

Pat

GOSH
03-11-2010, 12:49 AM
marionh- Good Work! Perhaps blending areas to show more intense color while leaving the unblended to create the shade?
Vladk- Thank You. Not tricky at all, it's just 3 landscapes into 1.
rsatish- You succeeded with showing the candy red of the apples real well! Nice plate. To me, it was deceiving in its simplicity: it's actually quite hard to get the plate right with how the apples are set up. On top of that the perspective lines of the wood...I took the picture in a hurry because it was raining.

rsatish
03-11-2010, 01:18 AM
Thanks Pat.
Thanks Gosh.

That was really encouraging, considering I am new and raw. The photo was brilliant, it had a very happy feel to it. I will be trying the sunset photo next, this time I will use under-painting in acrylic just to try the technique.

Scarefishcrow
03-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Thank you Gosh for filling in with very little warning... as in 3:30 p.m on the 2nd.

RG

GOSH, that goes a thousand fold more from me. You and RG have been so very helpful while I have been trying to get my bearings. It is deeply appreciated and one of the many reasons this place is so special.

Marion: Your take on the apples is great. In fact I started to say the back two looked like they were sitting on the table only to realize looking back at the ref img that THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO LOOK LIKE THAT! Duh!:o

Ram: Nice to meet you. You may be "new and raw" but your work doesn't seem to show you to be either of those things. You handled the color and textures well and I compliment you on your work!

GOSH: What can I say? As usual your work shines. I was quickly scrolling through the thread and as I zipped past the "truck" painting, for a second I thought it was the ref img!!
You really captured the sense of motion and took a complex looking image and interpreted it wonderfully! (Again, thanks for your short notice filling in. Greatly appreciated!)

BILL
:heart: :heart: :music: :music: :heart: :heart:

GOSH
03-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Thank you, Bill and welcome back!:clap:

gakinme
03-11-2010, 11:37 PM
Gosh, thank you for hosting the challenge and thank you to RG for two of the photos.

RG, driving and taking photos are so dangerous together. I hope it is not through the Redwood Forest of highway 1 that you took that photo. The roads are so winding.

Gosh, I also almost thought your rear mirror reflection piece a photo. Very realistic.

Marion, Ram, great apples there.

I tried the third photo.

Fabriano Tiziano 9x12 inch charcoal toned paper
Gallery Oil Pastel
Pentel Oil Pastel

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2010/86669-op_marchchallenge2001_prog.jpg

Crechat39
03-12-2010, 05:02 AM
Can't possibly do the apples after the pictures here but the mirror intrigues me so that is what I will attempt I think. At the moment I'm working on a big bunch of flowers for my art class. Definitely not me but you have to try don't you.

Pat Isaac
03-12-2010, 07:40 AM
Really like the sunset feeling of your landscape, Sandra. Beautiful sky.

Pat

truck driver
03-12-2010, 01:00 PM
I have to tell you all something.. The painting of the landscape with the mirrors Gosh did.... Well, the photo comes where near doing it justice.... In my ever so humble opinion..... Its much better than the photo.. Bill can attest to how lively and colorful Gosh's artwork is... this is really great.

RG

VladK
03-12-2010, 02:46 PM
Ram, I like you apples a lot - nice bright colors.
Sandra - great landscape, you did a good choice on paper's background.
I also started one (just pencil sketch;) ), but don't know when finish

robertsloan2
03-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Wow!

Marion, I love your Colourist apples. Your stage three looks good and all it needs now is stage four. That's so lively and colorful, I love it!

Ram, your apples look so bright and true, they're in a completely different style and gorgeous.

Sandra, your truck stop sunset came out so great. I commented on the All Media Sketch thread on it too, but have to say it again here -- that sky is lovely.

Gosh... oh wow I love what you did with the landscape and mirror. That's close to what I was picturing, but I was afraid to get going on it, sure I'd screw it up. You got it so fantastic.

Crechat, don't be afraid to try the apples after others have done them fantastic well. I'd still love to see your version and I'll bet you bring something to it that no one else does.

I sketched the apples today in my sketchbook, focusing on getting the ellipses of the plate right and arranging them the same, trying to get the sizes and more or less shapes of the fruit right in graphite. I had to do some tinkering in Gimp with levels in order to make the lines visible, then did a bucket fill of pure white on it when I'd darkened it enough you could see the lines on gray paper. Sure enough, they showed. The original scan looks like white paper, it's hilarious.

But at least on this you can see my lines. I think I'll try them in Senneliers.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Mar-2010/70184-Apples_Sketch.jpg

Scarefishcrow
03-12-2010, 05:53 PM
Sandra, nice work and colors on your painting.

Vlad, look forward to your work.

Robert, sketch is off to a great start!

And RG, you are absolutely correct. The digital images are light years away from the vivid colors and beautiful work that GOSH does. Having seen some of her work IRL, it just cannot be depicted in the digtal photos!

BILL
:heart: :music: :heart:

rsatish
03-13-2010, 05:28 AM
Thanks all for the comments. I highly appreciate.
Here is my version of the landscape. It was tough for me as I am not good at landscapes. I did underpainting in acrylic and then used pentel pastels to complete it. It is done on Canson Mi-Teintes paper. As usual c&c are most welcome.

-Ram
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Mar-2010/215875-P1010472.JPG

rsatish
03-13-2010, 05:32 AM
Gosh, thank you for hosting the challenge and thank you to RG for two of the photos.

RG, driving and taking photos are so dangerous together. I hope it is not through the Redwood Forest of highway 1 that you took that photo. The roads are so winding.

Gosh, I also almost thought your rear mirror reflection piece a photo. Very realistic.

Marion, Ram, great apples there.

I tried the third photo.

Fabriano Tiziano 9x12 inch charcoal toned paper
Gallery Oil Pastel
Pentel Oil Pastel

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2010/86669-op_marchchallenge2001_prog.jpg

Sandra, I like your version, it has lot of style and simplicity.

-Ram

oldrockchick
03-13-2010, 07:51 AM
raqtish I love the way you have made the light come through the trees onto the truck.. I love the colours in the sky. It isn't easy workign with ahrder Ops so well done you.

Sandra- nice and dreamy impression

MaryThompson
03-13-2010, 10:19 AM
My rendition of the apples. Any help with capturing the sense of distance better on a white plate will be appreciated. :cool: It's always funny to me that to paint something white, you paint it other colors. I learned that it my very first art class and it still blows my mind.

7" x 10"
Holbein OP (except for the gray-green on the table and the gray-red on the plate, which are Senneliers)
Colourfix tan paper

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Mar-2010/214994-apples_031310_4web.jpg

Thanks!

Pat Isaac
03-13-2010, 11:39 AM
Beautiiful color in your landscape, Ram. The sky almost has a VanGogh feel to it.
Mary, nice job on the apples and good reflected color on the plate. I'd add some wood grain to the foreground to give it some dimension and that might help with the plate.

Pat

gakinme
03-14-2010, 02:31 PM
Thank you, Pat, Bill, Robert, Ram, Lin, for your comment on my piece.

Ram, I was actually wondering what it would look like if I painted the entire sky without leaving the texture of the paper underneath. You showed me with your piece. Very good colored sky.

Mary, the first two apples look so real, especially the one on the viewer's right.

MaryThompson
03-14-2010, 07:42 PM
Thanks everyone!

oldrockchick
03-17-2010, 08:42 AM
Here is my version of the sunset trucks. I'm not at all happy with the orad part. I didn't like the road in the originla ref as it led out of the picture. It wasn't feasible to take it out as trucks need road, they can't just sit in a grassy field. For some reason I couldnt' make the semi-circle look 'flat'.

Oh well, it's too full now to alter. It won't take any more layers. I used mostly Senns for the top layers.

I used DRs for the bottom layer and pressed it in with a shaper.

I used some Senns irridescent pink, blue and white in the sky.

'Sunset on Trucks'
A4 orange card coated with clear colourfix
DRs a couple of Neos and Senns
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2010/179312-OP_Mar_Sunrise_Trunks.jpg

Pat Isaac
03-17-2010, 09:33 AM
Lovely sky, Lin. The irridescents worked well for you. I think maybe the semi circle needs to be flatter.

Pat

oldrockchick
03-17-2010, 09:48 AM
Lovely sky, Lin. The irridescents worked well for you. I think maybe the semi circle needs to be flatter.

Pat

yer I know it just isn't right.... not much I can do now unless I scrape it all off... I just look at it and imagine there's a hill :lol:

VladK
03-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Wow, such a great paintings here!

Robert, nice start, go Sennelier! Apples ask for them:wink2:
Ram, beautiful colors and movement in the sky
Mary, well done
Lin, great landscape. Btw, I also use Senns for the upper layers, they are more oily and some of them are transparent which adds depth to you colors.

oldrockchick
03-20-2010, 10:07 AM
Hi

I have done so many divfferent versions of fruit and veg in various challenges I wanted to do something different to the usual 'food on a plate' thing.

I may have mentioned but in my sketchbook I have been doing a series of studies where I use a square paper cut out and place it on a section of something and concentrate the detail from that section.

I decided to try this. I cut out a pice of murano paper to a square and founf a nice section I liked and came up with this.

'Apples'
9" x 9"
Murano paper, burgundy red, coated with clear colourifx.
Neos under and Senns on top
They look a lot better from a distance, when doen like this.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Mar-2010/179312-OP_March_Apples_sq_fin.jpg

Pat Isaac
03-20-2010, 01:54 PM
Great crop, Lin. Nice color on the apples.

Pat

Spice3514
03-21-2010, 08:05 AM
Hi Lin, I like those apples very much, this crop really appeals to me. Good idea!
Brenda

VladK
03-22-2010, 12:45 AM
Lin, great work on apples and good crop.

Here is my truck stop landscape on 9x12 canson pastel paper, smooth side.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Mar-2010/204616-IMG_3253.JPG

I decided to make it more romantic:wink2:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Mar-2010/204616-IMG_3256.JPG

Pat Isaac
03-22-2010, 07:12 AM
Nice touch, Vlad. I do like the addition of the figures.

Pat

oldrockchick
03-22-2010, 08:36 AM
Vlad - I like the addition of the figures. It makes me think of a poster for an American drive-in - for some odd reason although logic makes me question why there would be trucks there lol.

hollyga
03-22-2010, 08:58 AM
Lin, love your apples - everything about them - composition, colors, details, etc! I am especially intrigued by the tiny little detail on the stems! Love the crop, too!

Vlad, that sunset does call for a little romanticism, doesn't it? Your rendition is great! That sky is fantastic!

Holly:wave:

VladK
03-22-2010, 09:35 AM
Thanks Pat, Lin, and Holly.
Yes, Holly, the entire setting brings romantic thoughts...:cat:

Lin, drive-in it is :lol:

robertsloan2
03-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Vlad, great painting. With the figures it tells a story, it looks so cool. You got the lighting on them just right and the feel of the special night they're sharing. Great perspective and wonderful sky too.

Lin, gorgeous apples! Yum! They look so real I could pull them off the screen, that is so cool!

robertsloan2
03-23-2010, 02:08 PM
Vlad, great painting. With the figures it tells a story, it looks so cool. You got the lighting on them just right and the feel of the special night they're sharing. Great perspective and wonderful sky too.

Lin, gorgeous apples! Yum! They look so real I could pull them off the screen, that is so cool!

GOSH
03-23-2010, 09:31 PM
gakinme: Thank You, your truck stop looks very bright and dreamy. This is not an easy photo to work with. Well done!
Crechat: I'm looking forward to your mirror and I agree that flowers are hard to pull off right. Flowers and forests, they're challenging to me.
Truckdriver: OK, OK :)
Robertsloan: Thank You. I'm waiting for your take on the mirror too. Your apples, especially the perspective, seems spot on.
Scarefishcrow: OK, OK :)
rsatish: WOW! You turned a relatively obscure landscape into a feast of color. Love the park on the right, and your lampost is awesome! It all looks great.
MaryThomson: Your apples are gorgeous! I've been having trouble with my rendition of the plate and apples. The photo was taken on the porch and it was raining, so the light was diffuse (hard to work with without some sharp contrasting shade like a nice little lamp).
Oldrockchick: You've done really well with what you had to work with. The geometric figures in perspective, especially lined up, are really tricky. Your apples look tasty, they're so big. Though at first I thought you were running away from depicting the whole composition :evil: . Your techniques and use of materials worked very well, so I take it back.
VladK: I LOVE what you did to the truck stop; how you added really interesting figures and turned it into a romantic scene with a story to tell. Perfect!

GOSH
03-23-2010, 09:49 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2010/143278-UFO_010_.jpg

9"x12", Double primed canvas on board (Proart), Senneliers.
:wave:

robertsloan2
03-23-2010, 10:02 PM
Gosh WOW! I went back to look at your mirror again and I think what happened was that when I posted about it, my post got chewed up in one of my access crashes. Sometimes I lose access and after trying to post a couple of times, it gets lost but I didn't realize it didn't post.

WOW... your mirror is incredible. I'm amazed you say that's an easier photo than it looks. Your version of the mirror reference is spot on, it's better than what I imagined I could do with it on my very best day if I got in the zone with Neopastels. Wow wow wow amazing. I'm scared to try it, you already got it perfect.

LOL your truck stop with alien invasion! Too cool, too perfectly like all those old movies I loved on so many Saturday afternoons while I grew up.

GOSH
03-23-2010, 10:32 PM
Thank you, Robert. I didn't know what else to do to the picture. An alien abduction seemed perfect for the place. :evil:
Now, I wish I had been a little more careful drawing the bigger UFO, added a gekko to the lamp post, and a cat besides the dog. Perhaps a rooster in the distance :wink2:
Materials used: pencil and senns, and once or twice a small blender. For everything else I used my fingers. Now all that is left to do is finish the apples.

rsatish
03-24-2010, 02:50 AM
Thanks Gosh, Bill, Sandra, Vlad, Lin.
Lin, I like your version of lamp post and the apples. I like the detailing of the trees.
Vlad, I love the change you brought to the lamp post. Very imagiintaive!. I like the abstract strokes of colors on those figures.
Gosh, I like the spaceship and the dog watching it (Is that an alien descending?).

-Ram

VladK
03-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Thank you Robert, Gosh, Ram.

Gosh, they are coming:lol: - I like your interpretation.

GOSH
03-24-2010, 02:16 PM
rsatish: Thank you. It's a truck driver being abducted for experiments by the aliens.
VladK: It's not an interpretation, it happens every day :lol:

GOSH
03-31-2010, 07:32 PM
Well done everybody!! :clap:

Thank you for your wonderful participation. I'm looking forward to April :wave: :wave: :wave:

hollyga
03-31-2010, 08:37 PM
Gosh - Thanks so much for hosting this month! :clap: I really wanted to participate - I wanted to try the mirror picture - but getting used to my new work hours has taken a huge tole on me (:( 10:00 pm to 6:30 am). Even though I couldn't participate, I have had fun watching! Everyone has done a wonderful job!

Holly :wave:

Scarefishcrow
04-04-2010, 08:08 PM
I'm a tad late with this, but am trying to get back into the swing of things. Done on CP (NOT) WC paper with Neocolor I wax pastel crayons. Not really a finished work but more of a concept sketch that took a little different view of the apples and put them in a landscape format.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2010/108067-_00011-2010-04-03_17-30-02.JPG

Not that great but thanks for looking.

Bill
:heart: :music: :music: :heart:

Pat Isaac
04-05-2010, 07:15 AM
Nicely done, Beill and I like the wood grain. Glad to see you doing work again.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
04-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Thanks, Pat. I was focused on trying to get the woodgrain and perspective in the boards. I wasn't real happy with how the plate and apples turned out, but again this was just wax pastel crayon and rather hard.

Bill
:heart: :music: :music: :heart: