PDA

View Full Version : Help! WIP

Spoof
09-17-2002, 08:41 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-17-2002/11671_Amy___Beccs.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Help! WIP
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 32X32
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I'm kind of embarassed by this cutesy picture of my kids, (the eldest serving a sentence of moving firewood)Why can I never do filtered light through trees? This is my third painting where I have tried and failed,but I believe it can be salvaged.I'm keeping most as is except for all the greenery to the left will be improved. I have tried three radicaly different tones for the light on the walls but it all looks terrible.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
How do I fix it!

TScottDove
09-18-2002, 12:44 AM
Hmmm, seems the light is creating shadow only on the walls. Wouldn't there be some on the children, stairs, and "bannister" as well?

Love the composition.

Spoof
09-18-2002, 01:50 AM
I agree, however from the direction of sunlight there should not be any direct sunlight on the banister or anywhere else. It appears there should be, but it is true to life as far as the direction of sunlight and where the light falls.
However I have done something wrong with the values of light, for instance the steps should be in shadow etc but appear as the same value as the rest. ARRRGH I really do not know what has gone so wrong? I know there are a lot of minor problems, I won't even start on the kids, but there is a overriding value problem somewhere I cannot identify.

jerryW
09-18-2002, 07:02 AM
a very clever composition which could get busy
if not already.
the upper left sky color
and clothing on both children
form an axis to tinker with (maybe)
simmilarly lower left folliage to the trellis,
the glow on the steps,
and shadows at upper right are all areas of interest
to play with too, maybe.
sunlight dappling is fine for now
you don't actually need much there,
that part you have exceeded in
latere if happy everywhere,
the centeres of each tree filtered light spot
seem usually brighter than the frame ot the same spot due to
a perimeter lense effect at the edge of objects as light passes?.

giniaad
09-18-2002, 11:37 AM
Wow...allot of work has gone into this piece
and I like what is going on very much

my 2 cents worth...
all relates well, except for the stairs and the children...

in color
...mix in colors you have used elsewhere to relate

and shading
...deepen the shading to relate and ground
(basicly needs some contrast
only in deepest parts of shading)

I think J mensioned these issues in great detail...
but I have not had enough coffee yet to read it in detail...

love the composition, perspective and feel...colors used too...
nice house!

Spoof
09-18-2002, 03:41 PM
Perhaps I should darken the steps?

dollardays
09-18-2002, 10:58 PM
I really like this painting. I think it just needs a little more contrast between the lights and darks. My paintings always look like this until I go in with some dark, darks and work backward from there.. Then they improve. I also have to paint my values over and over until I get them right, so you have my sympathy.

I darkened the stairs and tree shadows with violet. I like violet for shadow in sunlight. Added blue to the child on top because she is farther away. Made the bannister darker in hue facing us. Darkened the wall behind the top child. Added blue to the bottom girl on right for form.

Couldn't resist adding more blue to the flowers because I liked the little flecks I saw in there.

You'll get it solved- I can tell. Let the paint with white in it dry- then mix some new with very little white in it- tends to kill the colors.

Spoof
09-18-2002, 11:35 PM
I sincerely thank you all for your suggestions.
Dollardays, you truly have an eye for solving problems. I have taken your advice and began to darken the stairs and will get to work on the background tones. Thankyou for the direction.

LadyPearl
09-19-2002, 07:27 AM
I think shadows should never be crisp unless right up close. Blur them more so they don’t scream out at you… see like this…

Rodger Walker
09-20-2002, 12:56 AM
I've attache a copy of your picture with some red lines showing possible perspective adjustment, this may take some of the conflict out. If you reconsider the shapes and how the light and color are working together you may want to change some of the values and colors keeping all the light surface lighter than the shadow surfaces to create a natural belonging and harmony. Your shapes and drawing are really good. And don;t worry, we all have these same problems every time we paint. Some famous painter said "A painting is nothing more than a series of correction" and I believe him.

Keep up the good work and I hope you don't mind the changes on the painting.

Rodger Walker
09-20-2002, 01:09 AM
Sorry about that. I posted the wrong painting. I'm correcting that know with the perspective suggestion.

Spoof
09-20-2002, 01:29 AM
I didn't dream I would get such a wealth of help on this painting. I am really beginning to see the value of an art education.
Thank you all, I am really impressed at your abilities. I'm not sure I can bear this painting any longer, alas my wife insists on completion!

Rodger Walker
09-20-2002, 10:06 AM
I would like to suggest that you go to Kevin Macpherson's home page:

http://data.fineartstudioonline.com/dataviewer.asp?keyvalue=125

There you can see his work and order his books. I really got a lot out of "Fill Your Oil Painting with Light and Color". Even though he has a different style than you do, you would probably like what he does with the subject of Light and Color. I know I did.

Never stop painting, you got a lot to offer.

dollardays
09-20-2002, 05:22 PM
Just want to add that I like those softened shadows LadyPearl added. They really soften up the contrast and allow more emphasis on the little girl.

You know you're going to finish this, Spoof. It's too far along to toss in the closet, now! :)

Please post your final work...