GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Arbutus Trees 1&2
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24x36 32X32
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I spent several hours on the first painting and was pleased with the spontaneous feel and look. As this was a gift I wanted to do another for myself, while it may be difficult to tell on the monitor the first came out far better. Its funny but every time I try to replicate a success its invariably more stiff and forced.
These were my first attempts at trees but I really enjoyed it.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Which one do you like best? Can you tell any difference?

bottleman
09-17-2002, 08:45 PM
Although the first one is more spontaneous, as you mentioned, I don't think the second one is really a worst painting. In the first, I can see changes in the greens of the leaves, while the actual trees seem to have little variety within the red(s) used. It's as if they were almost finished. In the second painting, there doesn't seem to be many variations within the trees either, however here you made them much more structured, both in terms of shape and the clear placement of colour. As a result, the second painting is more structured or 'forced', but it also seems more complete.

TScottDove
09-18-2002, 12:50 AM
So THAT'S an arbutus! (My college yearbook is named The Arbutus. I have no idea why.)

I don't think the second is helped by the square format. While I generally prefer working square, the trees seam to soar in the rectangle; less so in the square.

Fagan
09-18-2002, 10:40 AM
I agree with TScottDove...very well done on both but I prefer the top one. *SMILE*

Spoof
09-18-2002, 03:50 PM
Thanks Fagan. I was impressed by all your paintings on your web site...but I couldn't believe it...
I LOVE Tropical Rain. Absolutly captures my favourite place to be it in a daring way. Fantastic, you MUST do more.

Fagan
09-18-2002, 04:08 PM
Thank you Spoof for looking at my website! That is one of my favorties also. *SMILE*