PDA

View Full Version : Question about backgrounds from a colorpencil user

timo
02-24-2010, 05:37 PM
Hi all,

Normaly I dwell at the colorpencil forum^^ but I have a question in which, I hope, you people can help me.
I love to make paintings whit colorpencils but also want to try bigger paintings in the future.
I want to be able to create bigger backgrounds like water ,hills and skies in a smooth way but also be able to draw finer details in it.
I have some pastels from Schmincke and Rembrandt which are to soft for my use in combination whit colorpencils.
The artstix from Prismacolor are almost like colorpencils and not easy to blend whit a bristle brush (better whit solvents).

My question is,can you give me advice which medium I can use in combination whit my colorpencils?
For example I red an article about the hard pastels from Faber Castell.
I love the pencils from them and assume that hard pastels are softer and more easy to cover larger areas in a smooth way than the colorpencils.

btw, I use mostly paper from Stonehenge.

Thanks^^

robertsloan2
02-24-2010, 05:46 PM
Trying to cover large areas in a smooth way with pastels is usually done by blending. I think the texture on hard pastels would be a big contrast with the waxy colored pencils, but you might get something like what you're talking about by using oil pastels.

Check out the Oil Pastels Channel, I hang out there too. Oil pastels and colored pencils combine very well, especially the oil based colored pencils like Polychromos. I'd suggest relatively firm ones like Neopastel or Erengi, and the use of a rubber Colour Shaper to smooth and burnish them.

timo
02-24-2010, 06:01 PM
Thanks Robert ,I will take a look.
Rubber colour shaper?...thats new for me but I will google it^^