PDA

View Full Version : WetCanvas Shut Down Reminder

mrking
02-23-2010, 07:37 PM
I just stumbled upon this:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/announcement.php?f=87

WC is going to be down from Feb 26 to March 1st for upgrades!!!!!!! Woohooo:clap:

Start the withdrawal...........................

robertsloan2
02-23-2010, 07:44 PM
Upgrades, whoohoo!

Withdrawals... owwwww... oh I am going to miss everyone so much in this forum!

Paula Ford
02-23-2010, 11:18 PM
We'll all have to meet at FaceBook!

Deborah Secor
02-23-2010, 11:19 PM
Yeah, that will be long--but worth the wait! Facebook, oh my, I never have understood FB. But........... Notice the language used here:
We expect that WC will be offline beginning 2/26 and should resume operation by 3/1.
FB may be the next best thing!

Tracy Lang
02-23-2010, 11:40 PM
Yes, FB!!! Will help with withdrawal pangs :)

I remember the last upgrade seemed endless, but, was definitely worth the wait.

robertsloan2
02-23-2010, 11:47 PM
I was just thinking of that! I hope folks from here besides Paula will send me friend invitations, I don't really know how to find people on Facebook. But Paula and Charlie are on my friends list so I can hang out on their pages... sound good?

Deborah Secor
02-23-2010, 11:51 PM
Me, too... I'm baffled by FB about half the time. I never know if the people are asking to be friends or the machine is matchmaking (well, you know what I mean! :lol:)

Paula Ford
02-23-2010, 11:57 PM
I know what you mean Deborah. If I see a friend request, I make sure that person has many mutual friends of mine before confirming. It's a great place and there are tons of great artists that post their work. The discussions are wonderful also.

Paula Ford
02-23-2010, 11:58 PM
Sounds good Robert!

*Deirdre*
02-24-2010, 12:16 AM
As it's posted at the top of every forum we didn't think it would take too long before everyone noticed! Now....now....where did I put that pastel shopping list?:evil: :lol:

robertsloan2
02-24-2010, 12:51 AM
Right, especially coming when it is at the end of a month, this could be the excuse for people to ramble out to their local art supply store. I'm going to try to get in some good painting even with the site down, and I'll post all of it to Facebook. I think I can post images on Facebook. I know I've done that before, just need to remember how.

Dougwas
02-24-2010, 01:18 AM
I'm going to paint, paint, paint and paint some more! The house to myself and no WC. Nothing to distract me. Paint, paint, paint!:D

Doug

Paula Ford
02-24-2010, 02:01 AM
I'm going to paint, paint, paint and paint some more! The house to myself and no WC. Nothing to distract me. Paint, paint, paint!:D

Doug

Me too!!

inmystudio
02-24-2010, 04:41 AM
:eek: I'm so glad I read this thread I never would of known otherwise as I never check notices etc. :o.... I turn on my computer then just read and look and read trying to soak up the never ending information on here, I think I would of cried :crying:

I'm off to the reference library to hoard photos:D

Thanks for placing the warning somewhere that silly me noticed :clap:

Cheers Deborah.

Colorix
02-24-2010, 08:17 AM
I'd not expect it to go entirely smoothly, and be on time... Last time, it took at least a week. My rule of thumb is to multiply any estimate of how long anything will take with Pi (3,14...) So, what's that? Around the 8th or so?

FB is a saver, but it is also a mystery. When invited to become someone's friend, it is usually a true invitation. The machine suggests, but it suggests you invite people. An actual invitation is from a person.

Charlie

dusgirl
02-24-2010, 11:22 AM
Oh so glad I checked in on pastel talk, I didn't know a shut down was planned. I had better get my last update on the WIP posted.
Rita

Tracy Lang
02-24-2010, 11:36 AM
Robert, I just sent a friend request to you (at the suggestion of Charlie :))
If anyone else wants to be added, post here or pm. It really is fun!

Paula's suggestion to check the mutual friends of the person sending the friend request is a good one.

Wet Canvas has a "fan" page where updates about the site will be posted. Maybe we can all meet there!

Tracy

Colorix
02-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Yep, I suggested Robert to a heap of you!

Charlie

SonyaJ
02-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Oh boy, I'm glad I just saw this post! Bummer that WC will be down, but hopefully the upgrades will be worth the wait :).

Yeah, FB....I just signed up with it a few days ago. Still undecided about how much I'll use it. I was asking friends about why it is that people that I've never met (but have lots of mutual friends with) are adding me as a friend. It doesn't make sense to me. But, as one friend explained, aptly, I think - FB is like post-it notes. Mostly superficial updates from friends or aquaintences.

I am starting to add more "fan" pages to my list, though. If people here have fan pages, which are nice because they are seperate from your personal FB page, maybe you could post them? I'd love to add more pastelists to that list :). More interesting than hearing about what someone made for dinner last night :rolleyes: .

Colorix
02-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Or walked the dog...

Many do like I, just use the FB page for their art, though. No fan-page for me, I'm a somewhat reluctant social media participant, WC is usually more than enough.

Oh, one purpose is networking, so that is why friends of friends get interested, and your real-life friend may suggest that you become friends with another, as they think the two of you may have something in common.

Charlie

saramathewson
02-24-2010, 01:02 PM
sigh,

I had to sign out of FB due to reason's I can't explain. So, I will be all alone...snif snif...
but, I have plenty to keep me busy as we have moved once again and I need to set up my studio or at least a temporary one until I figure out where I want it to be exactly. I can just put up what i need and maybe even get some painting in:)

Sara

Ruthie57
02-24-2010, 02:37 PM
I'm not really keen on FB and since i became a fan of the Pastel Guild of Europe I have had loads of friend requests from other members so my number of friends has increased dramatically!! Trouble was i kept getting e mails every time a new friend commented on anything (not just on my page) and my inbox got fuller and fuller! I've sorted that now so I don't get any e mails but I have to remember to go on FB to see if anyone's sent me a message!
Anyway, maybe I'll see some of you on there while WC is down!

Kathryn Wilson
02-24-2010, 05:03 PM
LOL - I just joined Facebook after reading this and my classmates are now finding me!!

Where are the Fan pages - I have no idea what I am doing. pm me if you don't want to add another facebook post here

Tracy Lang
02-24-2010, 09:37 PM
LOL - I just joined Facebook after reading this and my classmates are now finding me!!

Where are the Fan pages - I have no idea what I am doing. pm me if you don't want to add another facebook post here

Hi Kat,

On the front page of WC, right hand side is a button to click to become a fan of WC on Facebook. For others pages, you can do a search or just see what your friends are fans of and click from there.

There are quite a few Kathryn Wilson's, so, I haven't found you yet. Might be easier for you to look me up :)

Tracy

Kathryn Wilson
02-24-2010, 10:26 PM
Yeah, I'm behind the famous shoe designer from Australia in "famousness" :)

Thanks for pointing the way Tracy - still feeling my way around to find friends - if you don't have their emails, how do you find them?

Oh, well, this shouldn't be a tutorial on Facebook - it's about finding ways to fill in downtime

robertsloan2
02-25-2010, 12:22 AM
I found Deborah Secor by typing in her name and looking at the five people who came up on the search. Happily her avatar is a photo of her painting, so I recognized her and friended the right one!

I'm setting up a challenge on my Wall page, to start when WC is down. We can all post our art on a thread here afterward. It'll have three different prompts, and I'll post references in a photo album.

Colorix
02-25-2010, 07:48 AM
So, if everybody finds Robert A Sloan, we just have to look at his friends to find each other.

Good initiative, Robert!

Charlie

Gerri Mc
02-25-2010, 07:54 AM
Aha! now I understand. I got the suggestion to add Robert from Charlie too. - this is a great idea. I'll have to go and find everyone else now and request you all as friends on FB.

Actually, while WC is down - I might actually get some time to paint too!:p

Deborah Secor
02-25-2010, 06:19 PM
Anyone know when this place will actually close the doors and turn off the lights?

Deborah

Tracy Lang
02-25-2010, 08:08 PM
They just updated Facebook...not happening this weekend,now. They will keep us posted as to when. At least we have our options now and this will give others more time to join FB if they are interested.

Tracy

Deborah Secor
02-25-2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks Tracy.

robertsloan2
02-26-2010, 12:11 PM
Yep. One happy side effect, I think, is that I have a number of artist friends who aren't on WC yet. So they might find WC through this activity and everyone friending and joining the gang. Thanks for friending me, the activity is still on -- for when WC actually does the migration. It's planned, everything's ready and as soon as there's no WC the details will go up on my page.

Just to keep it simple, I'll post it on my page and put links to the other things you need to get to, like the photo references, in that announcement.