PDA

View Full Version : Weeders Weekly Feb 22-28

Signchick
02-22-2010, 06:08 AM
Good Morning! Last week was sure filled with some neat videos and stuff, if you care to look back (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608208).

Mary, that video of Steven, the autistic artist, was incredible!! :eek:

Kordelia, that drawing table is so simple, yet practical! :)

I was shocked, when I looked at the calendar.... This is already the last week in February. Where is all the time getting away to? Life is just moving at such a fast clip. Good news is, soon it will be warmer. :lol:

artastic
02-22-2010, 07:47 AM
morning Beth, yes we are starting to feel the warmth of the spring sun too, even tho the temp shows -15, the sun is wam, makes those long walks much more pleasant
still hooked on the games, and had a great weekend of sports, and theater (spent the PM yesterday with a friend at the Globe Theater) and a movie Sat night with my DH and BIL, been spending too much time playing methinks, have to finish a painting for my sister (her bday is next Sat) and start framing for upcoming shows
next weekend I have 5 pieces in a one day show "the Art of Wine". They are having a wine tasting and art appreciation on Sat, I have tickets to the final show of our mid-Winter Blues festival that day, so won't make the wine tasting, it will be the last show for these pieces, have all new ones for the 2 upcoming shows in March and May.
and I need to frame them all...

have a good week everyone!

Helen
02-22-2010, 08:57 AM
Good morning Beth and Bonnie... and the rest of you who pop in later. We have beautiful new snow here this morning so I've been shoveling. I too have been glued to the Olympics, especially the skiing and skating. US and Canada both doing well and I really wouldn't have cared which won the hockey game; however, I'm pleased with the outcome of that game. Between the Olympics and Warner I haven't had much computer time.

Glad Kor and Rex are on the mend. Bonnie, I've seen the paper art in real life, they are in a gallery here in Michigan. It is breathtaking. Folks, their site lists what galleries have their work, if one is near you check it out. Laura, I think he's going to be strawberry blond. Marita, if you do get to see Joel and Dewi give them both a big hug from all of us.

Have to get some work done before Warner and his mom come over. We're going in to the big city, Grand Rapids, today. She's transferring to a college over here and has to find out what credits they'll accept and where she goes from here, then we're going to the art supply store (a real one, not a Michaels or Hobby Lobby which is all we have close by.) BBL

l Heather l
02-22-2010, 11:51 AM
Hi Beth :wave: Hi Bonnie :wave: Hi Helen :wave: Hi everyone :wave:

Bonnie, that's great about your upcoming shows, hope they're successful :clap:

Helen have fun with Warner and your family. I love going to the real art store too. It's like Christmas for me :lol:

Have a great week all! :)

missswiss
02-22-2010, 11:58 AM
good morning all. It is raining here today. Think the snow went your way Helen and is missing us this time. Rain on top of snow makes for ice unless it stays warm enough for it to melt. It is off the main roads but in the boonies it still has snow on the roads, so have to watch out.
I hope you all do not mind that I post this picture on here. When I had WDE in Oct. several of you painted the old fiddle player. Well Harry and I went to visit him yesterday and take the album to him of all the pictures of all who painted him and gave me permission to print them out and take them to him. His name is Ivan Gorby and he will be 96 on March 16th. He played his fiddle for us again and is still able to go to nursing homes and play. We got several hugs and were told several times that we sure made his day. Thanks again to all who painted him and allowed me to share them with him. He now has a brag book to take to the nursing homes with him.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Feb-2010/132729-P2210012.JPG This is he and my hubby looking at the book.
We will be leaving tomorrow, Good Lord willing, and will not be back until after the 5th most likely, so have a good time. Hopefully I will have some paintings to share when I get back.

artastic
02-22-2010, 12:45 PM
Mary ,how wonderful of you, and so glad he liked it, now it is good to have a name for my painting,
have a wnderful trip, did you say where you are going?

kordelia
02-22-2010, 02:29 PM
o Mary, that's a weeper/keeper picture for sure!!! how wonderful of you guys... 96, bless his :heart: , and a 'brag' book... that's so cute! safe trip... strange that the rain's not washing the roads... that's what happens here, then the roads are slick (if it freezes) and everything else is white snow... it's long gone by now... just rain today...
Helen.. strawberryblonde.. havent heart that in a long time.. new pix, please...
Chickie, the link in last week's doesnt work right... in case anyone can change it??????
Heather... come visit and we'll go to Jerry's Artarama!! we dont have HobLob, but Michaels and AC Moore.. i love them allllllll.... i'm trying so hard not to shop online....... budget-breaker, for sure!!
Warm hug, my Bon.....
ta, talk ya later, all...

Paulafv
02-22-2010, 05:20 PM
Helen, all the babies in our family were blond, as they were in my grand daughter's father's family. She turned out to be semi-strawberry blonde and is a perfect beauty. Guess hair color really doesn't matter at all...you only need to love the little ones as they are, and it's so easy.

What a sweet, caring person Mary is and her husband as well. That old fiddler really appreciates his "brag book," and will forever.

Not good at "chatting," so will leave for now. Twinkle Toes grabbed some paper and pre-filled paintbrushes last Th. and did a great job writing her music, making a repetitive design and drawing a portrait of her parents with rain or snow falling all about it. My daughter was greatly impressed and I loved that she took such initiative until I checked on her and found her designing her hands and fingers. She was so disappointed I tried with five soaps to erase the damage before they went out to dinner. Her little palm bunny went hop, hop, hop across the table and never totally washed away.

She'll be perfect for the day until I find her being innovative and cutting her hair or painting her hands. Typical just five yr old. Have to find lots to keep this child busy before she turns 15...Hope art fills the bill.

Signchick
02-22-2010, 06:39 PM
Bonnie, it sounds like it's a good thing you have your own frame shop set up! Busy girl! :)

Helen, a real art supply store would be so fun! I don't know where one is in Oklahoma. Mine is in my puter. :p

Hi Heather! :)

Mary, you and Harry have the most wonderful hearts! Bless you for what you did for that fiddler! He'll treasure it. :heart:

Kordelia, sorry I messed up the link. It was pretty early. :p Are you feeling better? I'm guessing since you had the short people, that you must be on the mend. :)

Paula, your sweet little 5 year old sounds like fun! If it was me, I would already be worrying about what she's going to keep busy with AFTER she turns 15! :eek: :lol:

RubyRedDog2
02-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Beth, now I have to go back I don't remember seeing the videos.
Bonnie, good luck with the show!
Mary - what a thoughtful gift for your Fiddler.
Helen, agree, it's photo time. I love art and hardware stores!!
Paula, her little palm bunny probably give her good memories and yep I'm sure she'll cut her hair. Can remember one of mine doing it.
Hi Kor and Heather.
Well, last night I packed now I'm getting couple meals ready for my mom so she doesn't have to cook before her sister gets here. Plus she has a littlle left overs and DH frying shrimp for her while I'm gone - so she should be fine.
Don't know if I posted last week but Eli (4 in May) is going to teach me how to make snowballs. I'm so excited!!
In case their internet isn't working I'll see you next week - everyone stay warm, Spring is almost here.

Gail

agnesdale
02-23-2010, 04:10 AM
Hi everyone,I'am a newbie here,I fell inlove with the baby Waren's picture,such an angel...
That story of the fiddle player is cool,,wish I didnt miss that..and have stumbled in this site long before,,,;(

artastic
02-23-2010, 07:10 AM
welcome agnesdale, this is a cool place to hang, you'll have to join the weekly drawing event on fridays too!
wetcanvas is a wonderful place to grow as a person and an artist
what medium do you use?

Helen
02-23-2010, 08:54 AM
welcome agnesdale, this is a cool place to hang, you'll have to join the weekly drawing event on fridays too!
what medium do you use?
Yes, welcome agnesdale, you'll find we're all friendly folk here.

My dil just tagged me with some photos on Facebook so I'm posting them before I head of to class...
Here's Warner bundled up so he can go out and watch see what his grandpa is doing (shoveling)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2010/998-bundled_to_go_out_and_watch_granpa_shovel.jpg
and making his first piece of art... not looking too happy about it is he...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2010/998-making_his_first_painting.jpg
Now I'm off to class... bbl

Catherine1007
02-23-2010, 12:33 PM
Hello Everyone...

I'd like to thank everyone for the warm welcome and to let everyone know what a wonderful place on the web this is.

I really enjoy looking over everyone's shoulder as they work on their pieces. Morning coffee time has a new twist.. Its almost as good as roaming about the art studio looking at everyone's projects! What a wonderful concept this WDE is.

A question though... about how the WDE is posted.. I finally finished my painting and was wondering if I should have just waited until the piece was completed before I posted the 2 hour start? So the pieces are together on the same page, so to speak.

I see that they are moving the hosting of the site.. Oh No.. what am I going to do this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!! I had my heart set on a weekend paint. Its much easier to sit down when you have a finish line to cross. Are there plans to work around the down time a bit? I hope so..

Signchick
02-23-2010, 01:46 PM
Helen, sweet photos!!! Look at that itty bitty coat!

Catherine, Good question! We are each limited to one thread over the weekend, but at the beginning of the week, if you have something to post, you can open a new thread, as long as it's before the new host posts their photos (usually on Friday). I had a boat that I didn't finish over the weekend, so I opened a new thread for it.

If you finish something for a WDE that has passed, and a new host has already started their gig, you can upload it in the "Catch-Up" thread.

Sometimes, I wait to post my 2 hour, after the painting is done, but there isn't always time for that. Just remember, one thread per member, per weekend. It's so busy that additional threads push some people onto the second page. I hope I answered your question. :)

Catherine1007
02-23-2010, 02:09 PM
Thanks Beth, I think I get it now. I just close my other post and then start a new one. Yes???

kordelia
02-23-2010, 04:26 PM
hey, Catherine... yes, starting TUES (usuallly) you can start a new post... but if you've put WIP in your original title, and posted a partial at the two hour mark, go ahead and put the finished work there... people willlll come back to ck, they're good that way.... if the next one has started, THEN post it in the Catch-Up thread....

if you're talking about this COMING wkend... dont know yet... 'powers that be' have to make quick, major decisions... maybe we'll have an early post?? we'll see what the Mods have to report... keep cking in here, i guess... :wave: ta....

Helen: such a MANLY MAN, love the outfit, Granpa's helper!!! love it love it... not so much in the studio, huh? well, give him a year and he'll be fun fun fun in there!!

Hope we get word soon, before there's major meltdown.... i'm already feelin' it! Early EARLY wde this week?? That be good....

artastic
02-24-2010, 08:44 AM
morning all!!
woohoo another couple gold medals, the dance finals were amazing, and conrats to the american dance pair as well, stayed up way too late to watch it, and dragged my butt around work yesterday to pay for it, had to have a nap when I got home so I could stay up last night for the ladies skating (never made it , had to tape the last hour) 4:30 am comes way too soon.
I may need a holiday after all this olympic watching!
glad to see the WDE is posting early, was wondering what I would do without it, tho that would have given me a chance to get caught up on my other projects,
I finished one for my sisters b'day this weekend (will have to show you when I get home) and now can start on another watercolor commission for april (I have an acrylic one to do as well, but no deadline for that, they are going on a 10 day cruise in march so may get it done for when they come back)
the mid-winter blues festival starts tomorrow , so will be out and about for some of it, thurs night (taking friday off) and saturday night. another busy weekend here.
hope everyone is busy and well!!

Signchick
02-25-2010, 06:25 AM
I hope you have all copied the link to the photos from Jean's invitation, and put it somewhere else. :D

I'll miss you all this weekend! I hope it all goes smoothly and we come back to a lightning fast, souped-up WetCanvas. :thumbsup:

I am taking my Private Pilot Written Knowledge Test on Monday. Wish me luck.... I'm nervous! Sure is a lot of stuff for this old brain to hold onto. :lol: I've been trying to keep it from leaking out thru all of the old lady memory-zapping cracks! I hope I don't have to resort to Super Glue! :eek: :lol:

Helen
02-25-2010, 07:07 AM
Good luck Beth. Hi to the rest of you. I have some sad news this morning, the Shamu trainer at Sea World who was killed yesterday is, was, my best friend's daughter-in-law. Prayers and good vibes for her husband Scott who is like one of my own and the rest of the family. One the brighter side, dil has gone back to work part time so I'll be having the little guy two days a week.

Crowwoman
02-25-2010, 07:13 AM
Morning Y'all.

Here Beth, hope this helps....Good luck on your test Monday.
You will do fine!! ~!~Crowie

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2010/55027-super_glue.jpg

artastic
02-25-2010, 08:03 AM
good luck Beth, only the overflow will leak out, so not to worry (funny Crowie)
Helen, so sorry to hear of the tragedy

see you all monday!!
more time for the olympics I guess, and time to get caught up!

agnesdale
02-25-2010, 08:27 AM
what medium do you use?
Thank you,,,yeah iam so excited that I feel dizzy with all the projects,,,Its friday next day,,,and there are projects that are ends today,,and I find it hard to follow and dig where the heck it is??
Still finding my way,,but delighted and every page I turn up too,,even if I get lost sometimes,,just reading the posts..:cat:

missswiss
02-25-2010, 08:53 AM
Hi all. Sorry to hear of the loss Helen. I did hear it on the news last night. So sad.
Beth, Good luck on the test. You will do fine.
Agnesdale, Welcome and you will be an old pro in no time.
Hi to everyone else. We are in Morristown, Tenn. this morning and going to go to Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg today. We will probably spend the night there, but will see when we get there.
Had a puter here at the motel so thought I would say "Hello", while I could.

Signchick
02-25-2010, 10:25 AM
Morning Y'all.

Here Beth, hope this helps....Good luck on your test Monday.
You will do fine!! ~!~Crowie

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2010/55027-super_glue.jpg

I nearly fell out of my chair, Crowie! :lol: Good one!

I may print that out and put it in my log book for good luck. I'll know you guys are with me Monday. Send all your good mojo between 1:00 and 3:30 central. :D

Helen, I am so sorry for your loss! Her sister was on the news this morning saying she was doing what she had wanted to do since she was a little girl. It certainly was tragic! ((HUGS)) Have fun with Warner 2 days a week! :)

Agnes, this isn't a typical week. When the site goes down we kinda rearrange stuff, so it'll get back to "normal" next week. Hang in there with us, cause it's so fun!!

Valri Ary
02-25-2010, 12:02 PM
CRAP...what a wonderful last few weeks...I have so wanted to get on her to moan and groan and complain cuz all of you are so supported when 'it' hits the fan!!!
My bf was in a car accident and totally his car almost 2 weeks ago. And just now life seems to be returning to normal. I was out of town working when it happened and am still out of town. He's with me now and is doing fine...dang, when that stuff happens all else seems to fly out the window. Painting being the first thing to go...
Will need to go read what's going on with everyone else now.

kordelia
02-25-2010, 04:46 PM
agnes... if you have any questions about this coming wkend, please ask now!! you sound like a soul sister to me... i get lost and waylaid a lot in moving around here... be sure and 'get' your pictures or copy that link NOW... okay??
Helen.. hope that tragedy gets explained properly soon... conflicting stories... she slipped or he jumped and grabbed her... could determine what happens to him now.. how awful for the spectators too!! hugs to the family... ... and you get the baby 2 days a week... THIS is what i'm talking about.... that's how Teagan and i bonded .... i'm so happy for you!!
Chickie...all you need to do is use lots of hairspray... pref Suave... aint nuthin' can get in or out of that layer!!!
Val... so sorry... this past 2 wks have been a black hole!! 2 friends lost their mothers, besides all the other stuff going on... i for one will be glad to see Feb move ON!
i cant seem to get my head screwed on right today, dont feel so hot... and it's my turn to dance!!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2010/22002-SoYouThinkYouCanDance_2010.JPG
ta... later...

kordelia
02-25-2010, 05:13 PM
oo... and if you wonder why i'm sick...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2010/22002-NonnyArch_2_10.jpg

Helen
02-25-2010, 08:57 PM
Hi Everyone, I'm still adjusting to the news. There are conflicting stories; however, Dawn knew and loved all of t hose whales, there wasn't anything else she would be happy doing. She knew the danger, knew that whale could be dangerous. The fact that he killed to other people... both of those instances where people who had no business in the water with the whales, one was a drunk who jumped in. It's sad but I am somewhat consoled by the fact that she died doing what she loved. My heart goes out to her husband and the rest of the family but they too know, she died doing what she loved.

Enough on that.... my computer is sick so I probably won't be around for awhile. I may get to pop in now and then on dh's computer but it's not handy. His office is in an out of the way place in the house. I'll be back when I can.

missswiss
02-26-2010, 09:42 AM
Hi all from Pigeon Forge, Tenn. Taking off for parts unknown as yet this morning. It is sunny this morning. The first we have not had snow, so looking forward to that and maybe can even get some pictures.

Scattykat
02-26-2010, 05:50 PM
oh poo....the pooter threw a wobbly and just lost my reply, grommets :mad: right, here we go again....

Beth, fingies crossed fer you :crossfingers: .
Helen, soooper pics, nice to see Warner's getting cosy in the studio, never to young to get busy with the colours, :) think he only looks miffed cos he can't get to that wonerful array of brushes. So sorry about the whale trainer lady, so sad.
Mary, you sweetie, :heart: that old musician looks well chuffed with his pressie, and I see Harry's git the fiddle, is he takin lessons? Have a nice break.
Kor, you didnt do the upsie-downsie-throw-ya-all-aboutsie did ya, amazin, wouldn't get me in ther :wave: . Glad yer on the mend.
Paula, sounds like another babe in the studio, ooo fun fun fun :lol: .
Gail, bet they're gonna be real special snowballs, have a ball. :p
Valri, :grouphug:
Hi Bonnie, Heather, Agnesdale, Catherine, Crowie.
...hope I didn't miss anyone...
Just wanted to drop this pic in, took this photo yesterday afternoon. Was in my studio when it suddenly went dimsey and there was a really strange light, when I looked up at the sky it was amazing. The sun was very low, and was uplighting these clouds, (apparemtly called altostratus mummas) which were reflecting the orange light back, it was as if the air was on fire...

ain't that somethin, fabulous?...:wave:

Catherine1007
02-26-2010, 07:05 PM
Gosh.. What a wonderful sunset! Doesn't get much better does it?

Jean.. Would like to thank you for hosting, and all the other hosts too. I know without the hosts the WDE would never have gotten off the ground. For me its been a bit of a Godsend. I was in an accident 9 months ago. We were rear ended then pushed into the truck in front of us. Its been a long recovery. But, what a way to get back into the art world, hey? So, now that I found my brush again.. (Thanks to you all and your unbiased love of arts and the people who create) I don't think I'm going to put it down anytime soon.

kordelia
02-26-2010, 09:23 PM
mary, safe trip... hope to see you this trip.................:confused: you have my #...
Catherine... hope the healing continues... art is a wonderful healing companion...
Scatty!!! i've never seen those in person, only the usual email pass-around pic... wow! you really saw them!! and what a color! i've only seen them w/dark storm-looking sky........wow! thanx for sharing... and no, the 'dancing' was a joke considering the pic i posted...

Scattykat
02-27-2010, 04:44 PM
...just saw this photo on the 'Telegraph' uk newspaper site, and thought you'd love this....

...can you believe someone in Somerset UK has started a business knitting jumpers for coobies! gad we english are eggcentric :lol: :lol:
have a fun weekend folks...:wave:

...link to site
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/picturesoftheday/7324030/Pictures-of-the-day-26-February-2010.html?image=5

Catherine1007
02-27-2010, 05:12 PM
That is soooo cute.. I ordered my chicks for spring last week and the gal was telling me about their new item.....

Chicken diapers... They even make them in turkey size.. Who knew.

Crowwoman
02-28-2010, 04:31 AM
Skatty, that SKY is FABULOUS!! Would you mind if I saved it and try to paint it?

Chicken sweaters...lol:p :lol: :lol:

~!~Crowie

justjean
02-28-2010, 10:06 PM
How cute is that, but they look like toques with the tops cut off :D

...just saw this photo on the 'Telegraph' uk newspaper site, and thought you'd love this....

...can you believe someone in Somerset UK has started a business knitting jumpers for coobies! gad we english are eggcentric :lol: :lol:
have a fun weekend folks...:wave:

...link to site
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/picturesoftheday/7324030/Pictures-of-the-day-26-February-2010.html?image=5