PDA

View Full Version : Free pan pastel

Gerri Mc
02-16-2010, 11:50 AM
In December I decided to subscribe to the Pastel Journal and was pleased to see that they were offering a free sample of Pan Pastels. Well it arrived this morning - one little container holding what looks like one and a half small sticks of pastel with a little applicator. I don't think this is what pan pastels are supposed to look like. I'm very disappointed - plus the magazine still has not arrived.

I hate complaining because it is free but...

Has anyone else availed of this offer and if so what did you get.

This is a bad photo of what it looks like.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2010/96335-Pan_Sample_Jan_10_007.jpg

CJMonty
02-16-2010, 12:15 PM
The Free Pan Pastel that you recieve is in actual fact the way you buy them individually and consists of 2 containers screwed onto each other. One has an applicator plus to shaped foam pieces also applicators for your Pan Pastel. Attatched to this is another container with the cmpact of Pan Pastel in it and it is from this you use the pastel using one or other of your applicators depending on what you are doing. Look a little more closely at your Free Sample, they may or may not have missed out on including the pot with the Pan Pastel compact in it. The photo you have shown us is the container with the 3 applicators in it.

Check it out, the magazine may take some time to follow it though.

Carolynn :):):wave::thumbsup:

Deborah Secor
02-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Although it isn't a PanPastel I do hope you'll use the little sponges in your painting. They're quite useful for effects. But I know the folks at The Pastel Journal will do what they can to help you out... you really kinda need a Pan and a 'knife' to use with the sock they sent you (which is the little thingy on the right in the photo.)

Deborah

robertsloan2
02-16-2010, 01:39 PM
Yeah, that looks like it's just the tool storage jar. There should be a similar compact with a color in it. I hope you get a dark one for your freebie, because I found the dark ones work very well for monochrome on white sketch paper -- sort of like a dry watercolor effect, less color as it wears off the sponge.

The sponges make wonderful blenders on regular stick pastel paintings too. So does that little applicator. You could cut a strip of cardboard to fit inside the sock and use it if you don't buy the knife that goes with it, though I like the rectangular end knife best of all of them. It's like using a flat watercolor brush, very versatile and makes a good variety of marks.

Colorix
02-16-2010, 02:05 PM
Gerri, that is the Sofft tools/sponges you have there. Check if the bottom can be unscrewed, the actual Pan container is about a third or less of the height of the storage of the tools, so it may well be screwed tight under the tools. Every PanPastel is threaded, so you can put them together in 'towers'. In fact, if it indeed is under the tools, then turning it all upside down would allow you to see a label, with the name of the colour on it.

Or, a mistake has been made, and they missed it. Would be easily done, as the Pans are shallow, or thin, albeit big and round.

Charlie

Gerri Mc
02-16-2010, 02:44 PM
Thank you all so much! I guess I'll have to investigate further. I haven't tried unscrewing anything as I didn't see anything with a colour on it.

Never thought that those pink fellas were actually sponges! :lol: :o .

I've never seen Pan Pastels before so forgive my ignorance.:)

robertsloan2
02-16-2010, 03:42 PM
If you did just get the tools, they'll probably send out another one and you've got extra Sofft tools for your trouble waiting. They're very useful for a lot of things, so despite the inconvenience it's a little bit of luck.

Also, all magazines seem to be a little slow on sending out your first issue, it's funny that way. It's just something about how subscriptions get managed. I got used to it on a lot of other magazines and don't worry about it too much.

RiJoRi
02-16-2010, 04:39 PM
As to the subscription, as a rule of thumb they are printed three (3!) months ahead of time, so there can be a delay of that long, or a little longer. I know that when you are waiting for your first issue a month can seem like a year!

--Rich

Colorix
02-16-2010, 04:47 PM
If a mag is printed 3 months in advance, why does it come to my mail-box one month after issuing? One of life's mysteries, I suppose, and the fact that they send it by surface mail.

Ruthie57
02-16-2010, 04:56 PM
I tried to subscribe to the Pastel Journal on line but, although it takes international subscriptions, the site just didn't like me because I refused to put in my state and ZIP code! Even knowing that I had selected UK. It took me through the payment page but then sent me shooting back. When I e mailed them they said it would be 2 weeks before they knew if the credit card payment had gone through!? They told me I could try again or fax them. Well I ain't got a fax and wasn't going to pay not knowing whether I'd paid already so that was that. Nothing on credit card bill anyway so at least I finally know I haven't paid. Not going to bother again.

saramathewson
02-16-2010, 10:05 PM
Ruthie, that is too bad that you couldn't subscribe. Weird. i think I had them bill me and i paid after i got the first one and the free pan pastel. mine is the permanent red shade. I actually haven't used it or the tools yet even though I've had it for a year and a half. i will try it soon because i am thinking of getting some more to play with. i would love a whole set but money is tight right now.

Sara

Gerri Mc
02-17-2010, 07:46 AM
Well I feel really blond!:o

When I got home last night and actually managed to unscrew the lids (they were quite tight) I discovered that yes, those were the little tools and yes, there was a pan pastel attached. It is quite thin and I thought it was the lid! It is a burnt umber colour and I tested it on a piece of pastelmat. It is really nice.

Ruthie, I had the same trouble with the online application for the subscription. Because I didn't put in a zip code it kept throwing me out. I tried a couple of times over a few days and one time it just worked. :confused:
Even though I clicked on the International section every time.

My credit card was debited in December and when I didn't receive anything by the end of January I contacted them. I got an e-mail telling me it can take up to 12 weeks but I should get the March / April issue to start.

I suppose the fact that I got my free gift means that I haven't been totally forgotten.

Thanks everyone!:thumbsup:

Mary Y
02-17-2010, 08:41 AM
Gerri,
I sent for the Pastel Journal at the end of September last year and my Pan sample arrived just over a week ago and the magazine a few days later.
It will arrive someday.
Mary

Gerri Mc
02-17-2010, 10:07 AM
Great news Mary - I live in hope!

Did you use your freebie yet?

Anne Hevener
02-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Glad that you got your PanPastel sample after all! Enjoy!

For other questions or problems with a subscription, this feels like a good opportunity for me to point out the Contact page on our website that links to our subscription service department should you need them: http://www.artistsnetwork.com/contactus/

Gerri Mc
02-19-2010, 09:56 AM
Glad that you got your PanPastel sample after all! Enjoy!

For other questions or problems with a subscription, this feels like a good opportunity for me to point out the Contact page on our website that links to our subscription service department should you need them: http://www.artistsnetwork.com/contactus/

Hi Anne. Thanks for the link - very much appreciated. I'm really looking forward to getting the magazine.

*Deirdre*
02-19-2010, 10:54 AM
I subscribed on the 13th Oct...but mine didn't arrive until the 5th of Jan!
To be fair to them, their mistake was in stating 4-6 weeks...which refers to USA...and not stating in the initial email - international 12-16 weeks....which is what I was told when I enquired where it was after 7 or 8 weeks!
I would suggest they add that to their standard acknowledgement to save further upsets.

Colorix
02-19-2010, 12:30 PM
Lately, the PJ has started to show up in Europe, in our mailboxes, very speedily! Hope that continues. Not having to wait a whole month, but etting it only a couple of days later than the Americans is wonderful.

Charlie

Gerri Mc
02-23-2010, 09:18 AM
I subscribed on the 13th Oct...but mine didn't arrive until the 5th of Jan!
To be fair to them, their mistake was in stating 4-6 weeks...which refers to USA...and not stating in the initial email - international 12-16 weeks....which is what I was told when I enquired where it was after 7 or 8 weeks!
I would suggest they add that to their standard acknowledgement to save further upsets.

Agreed Deirdre - it would save a lot of angst!

Still haven't got it yet BTW.

Glad it seems to be coming more quicker where you are Charlie.