PDA

View Full Version : Special or Non-Traditional Tools and Techniques?

Nilesh
02-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Wondered if others might have come across or tried (or accidentally discovered) techniques or tools that are outside the mainstream.

Potato stamps, for example.

Or other paint application tools besides the usual brushes and knives.

Something I came across recently was this one: using plastic wrap for certain sorts of water effects. First put down the base water color (often this would be a blue or aqua color), and let it dry.

Then spread some white (perhaps with just a touch of blue in it, or some other color) acrylic paint out on a flat surface, and dip a piece of plastic wrap in the paint, as if you were making French toast. One side only.

Pick up the plastic wrap, and find a way to make it wavy, as if it had corrugations in it, or waves.

Then lay it over the water, and pull a bit to the side.

It may take a few tries to get the hang of this.

Please feel free to add anything you may have come across.

*dee*
02-11-2010, 07:22 PM
OOOOooo, that sounds cool!!!!

Do you have pics??

I guess the most "non-traditional" thing that I regularly do is to use sponges. :rolleyes:

I use them a lot in my backgrounds, and definitely a LOT when doing foliage. Its a great short-cut, and the effect is very 'natural'. I've got about a half-dozen sea sponges, all different textures. I love them!

~~Kathleen
02-11-2010, 08:20 PM
This method is described by Kathy (Amuse here) in the information kiosk on techniques. (Abstract painting I believe) In the MTM series

ribeyedsmile
02-11-2010, 09:07 PM
I saw alot of diferent stuff, here and there.

One thing I saw done by my friend Ben Dale is he used alphabet stencils for a couple of paintings.

Einion
02-11-2010, 11:25 PM
Sort-of related thread here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=550674), on tools other than brushes.

Einion

mtibo
02-12-2010, 07:07 PM
I use stencils to apply gesso or gel medium. Also I carve stamps on lino block to stamp my paintings. Razor blade to scrape paint that is still wet. Squeeze bottle to dribble paint. Nylon onion bags to leave texture. Scott towel put on top of a glaze, it will leave the marks imprinted on the paper. Corrugated boad to leave design and using it as a stamp. Electronic board to stamp in gel. The sky is the limit.