PDA

View Full Version : Recycled Palette Tip

Aires
02-11-2010, 04:29 PM
:thumbsup: Be sure to save the glass turntable from a discarded microwave. The turntable makes a fine palette - it is heavy glass, easy to hold onto, has knobs on the underside to stand on, and is easily soaked in water for cleaning dried paint. The price is right if you can use a round palette. I'd previously used them under large potted plants but this a much better use for mixing paints.

*dee*
02-11-2010, 05:39 PM
Hmmm, I've been wanting a reason to replace my current microwave with a smaller one! :thumbsup: The nice big glass turntable would work great! And I believe that it would fit perfectly into a large round plastic "cake carrier"! :D

susme48
02-11-2010, 07:25 PM
ah hah! I have a number of those!! I sit appliances on them to catch spills, etc...nice idea!

Nilesh
02-11-2010, 07:58 PM
A local Hospice store often has these for sale for a song. In addition to the circular ones, there are sometimes square ones with rounded corners.

They are made of tempered glass; have smooth surfaces and edges; are sturdy, and well and attractively made; and work great as palettes.

Phranque
02-11-2010, 09:37 PM
I use plastic egg boxes. The compartments are great and the paint stays wet for days when it's closed.

Aires
02-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Yes, if you are lucky enough to find the square ones that were popular before the turntable types, they are wonderful for a stay wet palette. To think of the years I used them under plants instead of in my art supplies! No danger of cutting yourself on the edges and cheaper than buying a glass cutting board.

Another tip: the wood microwave carts that are found in every flea market make wonderfully mobile stations next to your easel. The palette goes on top and art supplies underneath; roll it to the most comfortable spot and shove it back out of the way when finished.

M Douglas
02-11-2010, 10:01 PM
I've been using an old microwave turntable for a number of years, just like you said easy to clean, nice and sturdy.

Something else thats handy is to use the silverware holder from an old dishwasher for your brushes, just make sure you put something at the bottom so they don't fall through when you pick up the basket.

If you don't use your dishwasher it makes a good place to store your paints when you arn't painting. :wink2:

Melodie

vhere
02-12-2010, 07:50 AM
A friend, who uses a lot of collage in her work, uses the Sunday Newspaper as her palette - it lasts all week, page by page.

She uses a different page as needed and then saves the dried paper to use in her collage - lots of interesting colours all ready for use :).

ElleZee
02-12-2010, 09:56 AM
This is a great idea!!!! I'll have to look for one!

Currently, I use giant glass 'charger' plates....got them as a gift (set of 8) one Christmas and find they make a perfect palette. Don't know if the gift giver would approve....but the paint comes off so easy that I could still utilize them as originally intended. I wrap them with saran wrap if I've still got paint to use and it'll keep for a day or two. The microwave plate is better yet, though, being tempered.

Chrisp47
02-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Great idea, thanks for the tip.