PDA

View Full Version : adding pizzazz

daveg
02-11-2010, 12:09 PM
Hi, my experience has been primarily painting with oils but recently has begun experiementing with acrylics. I love how fast it drys and the ability to quickly build up layers.

I am a bit disapointed however with the "finish" of the paint. Once dry, it seems to lose some contrast and flatten out a bit, unlike oils. Is there a finish that I can add to the completed painting to maintain its pizazz? I'm a little worried that a glossy varnish will just look like I've coated it, I was looking for something more subtle.

Suggestions?

Margie L
02-11-2010, 12:36 PM
Try some of the spray varnishes available. There are some that are semi-gloss and might be the look you want. If you decide to go with this, try it on a test painting first. Then you will know for sure it is the look you want.

Aartvark
02-11-2010, 01:25 PM
You could also try using glazing mediums with your paint. They can enhance the colors, and add depth to the painting. I usually use gloss glazing medium, but will also use satin when I don't want so much of a sheen.

Donna Robertson
02-11-2010, 08:29 PM
I like Soluvar. You can get it from any art supply catalogue, like Jerry's. Easy to use, not too shiny. Can be removed.

GamVar another possibility. You must mix it and it is a little shinier. good luck. donna

~~Kathleen
02-11-2010, 09:14 PM
If you look in the "Whats on your Easel" thread, I have two photos of a painting I am working on, the first is without glaze, (A red/green yellowish painting) and if you scroll a bit further, the one I have recently posted (with the Woman and the moon added to it) has numerous glazes on it.
I used Liquitex fluid High gloss medium gloss on the painting. Gives you a good example of how the glaze pops the colour.

Andun
02-12-2010, 04:38 AM
All my ideas have already been given:( Best of luck:)