PDA

View Full Version : your recommendations for studio/easel lighting?

Lisa Fiore
02-10-2010, 09:03 PM
My pastel addiction is turning into an obsession. When I'm not painting, I'm often thinking of painting and feeling antsy because I wish I *was* painting. I have my easel right next to a large window and much prefer to paint by the natural light. The problem? As a stay-at-home mom, my youngest only 4, there is only so much daytime that I can devote to my passion. The solution of course would be to paint at night after the kids are in bed--but my lighting is awful!! So I'm looking to purchase a studio (easel?) light that will hopefully be the next best thing to daylight. Unfortunately, I can't spend a fortune and am hoping to find a good light that is economical. Please, any recommendations? I tried a search of the sight with little success, although I know the topic has probably been covered many times, so if any of you can point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it!! Thank you so much for advice!!! :)

allydoodle
02-10-2010, 09:52 PM
Hi Elizabeth,

I work with an Ott lite made especially to attach to an easel. Jerrys Artarama has it for $97. If that is in your price range, it works really well, and the light bulb lasts forever. I always remember to turn it off when I walk away from the easel for an extended period of time. Hope this helps.

DAK723
02-11-2010, 12:00 AM
Here is a somewhat recent thread on the subject:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538004

You may also want to check out Deborah Secor's current "Dream On" thread, where some folks (I think) have discussed their dream lighting.

Don

Lisa Fiore
02-11-2010, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the link, Don! I knew it had been covered before but my search just wasn't working...

Thank you, Chris! I had looked at Ott lights on-line before and they seemed rather pricey but they always get good reviews from the artists who use them.

I went to Michael's this morning just to see what they had and they are having a sale...40% off all Ott lights!!!! I bought the kind that clips right on to my easel for only $53 and I'm absolutely thrilled!!! Yay!!! :)

*Deirdre*
02-11-2010, 12:40 PM
You might try this to help your search
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2010/33616-Search-pastels.gif

bnoonan
02-11-2010, 01:04 PM
Don - thanks for the link to the forum on the lighting. It's really helpful for a refresher. I ended up thinking I need to add a lot more to my "wish list".

barb

Lisa Fiore
02-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Thank you, Deirdre, I will try that next time! :)

allydoodle
02-11-2010, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the link, Don! I knew it had been covered before but my search just wasn't working...

Thank you, Chris! I had looked at Ott lights on-line before and they seemed rather pricey but they always get good reviews from the artists who use them.

I went to Michael's this morning just to see what they had and they are having a sale...40% off all Ott lights!!!! I bought the kind that clips right on to my easel for only $53 and I'm absolutely thrilled!!! Yay!!! :)

Elizabeth,

I'm so glad you got one on sale and at a great price too! For that price, it will be even easier to love! Happy painting!

monticore
02-11-2010, 03:44 PM
Just a side note to studio lighting.I do use ott lights and other lamps with daylight bulbs etc. but during a painting I'll check to see how the painting is looking in regular room lighting to see how it might appear hung on an everyday wall without studio lighting.The different light situations can sometimes make a big difference in the paintings overall appearance. Just a thought.Joe.

Colorix
02-11-2010, 05:45 PM
I'm with Joe, it is smart to see how it works in ordinary livingroom (lack) of light...

I recommend my collectors to light the painting, it makes *such* a difference.

Charlie

westcoast_Mike
02-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Good point Joe - Years ago I worked for a commercial printer. One of our Clients was a local paper and we printed a “magazine” that was a supplement in the Sunday paper. The press and viewing stations were all strictly controlled as to the lighting. However, I remember once talking to representative of the Client and asked how QC ‘d the signatures we gave him for review. He said he laid it on the floor and looked at it from his chair, as that is how the average subscriber would read it.

Lynndidj
02-14-2010, 04:51 PM
Just to throw this into the mix, I love the full spectrum bulbs for painting and they can be put into any lamp (like the Reveal bulbs or the full spectrums listed in I think it is Dick Blick). For the longest time I had really cheap lamp poles that all folded down (aluminum) with a shade around the bulb but not in front of the bulb. I toted them to so many art camps they finally fell apart and I bought a set from a photography shop. I opted to use two - one to illuminate my easel and one to illuminate my pastels. A lot less expensive than new track lighting in my studio!!! For me personally, Ott lights are too "blue" a light - it hurts my eyes (migraine prone).

Lynn