PDA

View Full Version : valentines help pls

phillstarr
02-10-2010, 09:53 AM
hi all.
i am wanting to give my girlfriend a special present for valentines day, i thought a gift from my heart would beat buying one from a shop.
what i am wanting to do is paint her a picture that she hasn't seen me painting.
where your help would be much appreciated is this. i would like to paint a heart being held in 2 hands.
the canvas i will be using is a 9x12" cotton pre-primed.
i have only a small amount of talent at the moment :angel:
i'm not sure what colours to use to make the skin pigment (as i'm slightly colourblind).
should i make one side lighter and one side darker to give it some depth?
any and all help would be much appreciated :thumbsup:
phill.

dances_with_oils
02-10-2010, 11:24 AM
Phil, I think most on here would agree that hands are quite difficult to do in pairs (they have to match) - hence why you see a lot of paintings with only one hand showing. Skin tones are a whole other skill to master and the pigments needed for them vary from artist to artist... check the Information Kiosk for a ton of threads and classes on skin tones.

One thing that I have found in painting is to paint to your level of skill and then practise various techniques to get better. Most beginner painters try to paint beyond their skill sets and become incredibly frustrated with what they are trying to do. For something as important as a gift to your lady love, it should flow with love and not high levels of frustration.

I think your girlfriend would love a painting of a subject you are passionate about to paint - landscapes, animals, still life, florals etc. What do you normally paint? I know I'd love a painting from someone who has taken their passion and put it on a canvas for me.

phillstarr
02-10-2010, 01:07 PM
I think your girlfriend would love a painting of a subject you are passionate about to paint - landscapes, animals, still life, florals etc. What do you normally paint? I know I'd love a painting from someone who has taken their passion and put it on a canvas for me.

hi dances_with_oils, thank you for your post, i must admit i am in total agreement with you. i scrapped the first idea of hands and heart and just went with something i can repeat over many years and hopefully be able to do for her better each year. that way we can both get enjoyment from the paintings.
oh bye the way i went for a black background with a red heart and a single red rose. i will post the pic on here after the weekend.
once again ty for your help. :thumbsup: