PDA

View Full Version : a walk in the beach

alimari33
02-09-2010, 11:41 PM
Hello everyone, I am new at this website, have a couple of posts at the marine channel and one at the animal one all in water soluble oils. I am trying acrylics for the first time and this is my first acrylic ever. I used some cheap acrylics i found called Soho, i was wondering if you had any tips on how to use acrylics and how you can use gesso while painting. I see a lot of artists use gesso on the painting itself as a white or mixing it with colors, what is the purpose of this instead of a regular white? thank you for your comments

OkeeKat
02-10-2010, 01:27 AM
Hi and welcome Alimari!!
great heron!!
I dont use gesso myself other then to prep the canvas.. I do use titanium white. but many folks do use gesso as their white and its perfectly ok.
I like your tones in the water.
tip.. water is Darkest farther away and lightens as it comes closer to shore.. gives it a more depth/distance to your painting.

Keep up the good work, hope to see more of your artwork!!

JStoltz
02-10-2010, 03:19 AM
Looks like you're off to a good start. I personally only use gesso to prep surfaces, just as Kathie said. I don't think there is any problem with using it as a paint, but it's just never been necessary for me. Glad to have you here in the acrylics forum.

Jeff

LavenderFrost
02-10-2010, 12:51 PM
Nice work, great colours on the bird.

I've started using gesso in my painting because I don't like the glossiness of the titanium white. I'm not sure what other reasons there are. It's cheaper?

alimari33
02-11-2010, 02:07 PM
thank you for your comments and suggestions, I will keep onwith acrylics and the oils. I noticed you can work differently with them and the challenge is very attractive. :)

George Servais
02-11-2010, 02:51 PM
I use gesso as a blending and opaquing medium. I will use Titanium white for highlighting and adding a final sparkle to a painting. I don't use just any old gesso. I use Grumbacher acrylic gesso as it is thick and creamy and works so well for making value changes as it is very opaque and easy to work. It makes clouds and such much easier to do. It is thick enough to be used for texturing also and great for creating mist. It just has so many uses. (Don't use the cheap stuff). Great job for first use of acrylic.

alimari33
02-12-2010, 02:06 PM
George, thank you so much for your comment and your explanation, that sounds like something I can use, I am going to buy it this weekend. :)

nithya_swamy
02-12-2010, 05:00 PM
For your first ever acrylic painting, you've done awesome! Love the blues in this one :)

bchlvr
02-13-2010, 07:51 PM
Beautiful job!

CSimchik
02-15-2010, 12:06 AM
Looks great-I have been told to use gesso also to paint over something/error.

Andun
02-15-2010, 02:07 AM
Lots of folks use gesso but I prefer titanium white. Great looking heron and welcome to the forum:)