PDA

View Full Version : A chance to exhibit at the Minneapolis Institute of Art!

Margie L
02-08-2010, 08:09 PM
Once every 10 years the Minneapolis Institute of Art invites every Minnesota artist to bring a piece of art to be placed in the Foot in the Door exhibit. What a great opportunity for someone to say that they had a painting hung at the MIA.

So on Saturday we made the trip to Minneapolis and stood in line for an hour to submit my little painting. See the hitch is that the painting/art work must fit in a cubic foot box. Nothing larger is accepted. From what I heard there were about 4000 submissions. And that is just the tip of the iceberg of the artists in good old MN. Are there any other Minnesotans on WetCanvas who have submitted?

I had a small portrait of my cat Bear, that I took up. I figured I would be able to find him on the wall. His eyes are like spotlights.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Feb-2010/14192-mustange_008.JPG

acrylic on canvas 8x10--definitely small enough to fit in the box.
Thanks for looking.
Margie

Georgi
02-09-2010, 04:15 AM
His eyes are pouring into my soul! Nicely done!

Cheers,
Georgi :cat:

idylbrush
02-09-2010, 09:04 AM
What an amazing opportunity and a wonderful painting. I hope it brings you much joy.

sveldstra
02-09-2010, 09:10 AM
What a fun opportunity, and a great painting. I love the fur and the colours in it. Hope you will post a picture of him on the wall with all the other submissions.

RPut
02-09-2010, 09:21 AM
WOW! And congrats for the opportunity!!!

Margie L
02-09-2010, 10:01 AM
Thank you all for your very kind remarks. :) The MIA is the crown jewel of Minnesota museums and it is a privilege to have a painting hanging there. We will be taking photos when we get to the opening and will post them here when we get home.:thumbsup:
Margie

objectivistartist
02-09-2010, 11:24 AM
Always good to get hung in a museum - even if just for a short time... congrats:thumbsup:

Aartvark
02-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Congrats! What a fabulous opportunity, and a beautiful painting of Bear!

debee
02-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Lovely painting and what a wonderful opportunity for you!

LavenderFrost
02-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Wonderful painting! Love those eyes and the content expression.

Louise the Reader
02-09-2010, 06:43 PM
This is a beautiful cat portrait. I've been trying to do this for years and can't do this well. You should be very proud and so should Bear! (The whiskers are really good.)

Margie L
02-24-2010, 12:34 PM
:wave: Hello all--I promised to put up a photo of the show. My husband and I took a trip to Minneapolis the the Art Institute on Sunday to see "Bear" in the Foot in the Door show. What fun and so many really wonderful pieces of art. :clap: This photo is just a small portion of what was there. In the end there were 4900 entries. You can read more on my blog and find a link to the official site.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2010/14192-101_9495.JPG
Bear is just above my head in this photo. This is just one wall of three galleries plus two more walls in the atrium. Can you imagine the work putting the show up and then taking it down?!
I am officially exhibiting at the Minneapolis Institute of Art. Hurray.:clap: :clap: :cat: