PDA

View Full Version : Yet another droplet, this time a sort of WIP..

Portugalmart
02-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Hi all, it was mentioned in one of the last posts about doing a WIP, well this was already started but if you are interested I'll show you how I muddle along from here., If it is of any interest I do have a complete set of pictures from the painting of "Droplet" which I could post with a brief explanation.........please let me know.
Back to the here and now,

Picture 1 is the image on screen and the very neat and tidy (ahem) work space. You will notice I am an avid collector of flat and useless AA batteries!:confused:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Feb-2010/196998-Dsc08086_red.jpg

Picture 2 is the canvas with a background brushed on Blue, Magenta, White and Black in varying degrees to try and get it to look a bit like the picture...
I then sketch on the rough shape with a Derwent china white pencil and block in a base colour something similar to the photo, it's not life or death if this is spot on as it's just an undercoat.
Next bit is to block in some darks, again not too important it is just a guide for me to work to when I start detailing so I'm not constantly trying to work out where I am in relation to what in the photo. (I hope this is making sense to some of you because it sounds like I have no idea what I'm going on about to me)!
I've no doubt it will all become as clear as mud as we go on...:thumbsup:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Feb-2010/196998-Dsc08085_red.jpg

Well that's where it's at, I'll have a dable at more tomorrow, I've just realized that the drip in this isn't as intricate as some of the others but I'll explain how they are done later............:)

gaykir
02-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Can't wait to see it develop!

Taddybigs
02-08-2010, 09:41 PM
Wow, Thank you! I cannot wait to see your process! :))))))

Danimal316
02-08-2010, 11:36 PM
Oh [email protected]#$, I can't wait to see this one develop. I have been loving this series, and can't wait to see how this one is done.

OkeeKat
02-08-2010, 11:42 PM
Anxiously watching this evolve.. Love your series Mart!!

Portugalmart
02-09-2010, 08:13 AM
Gayle, Taddybigs, Dan, Kathie, thank you.....Dan, I see it's no longer Sunday!!!

nithya_swamy
02-09-2010, 01:04 PM
Great start! Waiting for the droplet to take more shape :) Thank you for doing a WIP, I love these droplets that you do :)

Portugalmart
02-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Well, here is the next bit, I couldn't really get "into" it today, did about an hour this evening and the following pics are where I got to, I will now work along the twig fairly methodically building up shape and texture as I go, I'm not pedantic about it being "spot on", if it looks like a twig it's good enough. I tend to try and do things just once, I will work on one area until I am satisfied with it, sometimes I will tinker at a later point but normally this will be in the same session, I can't usually leave it and come back to it, far too impatient for that, if anything needs glazing I sit with a hair dryer, dry it and glaze it straight away......lol
So, enough old waffle, the two pictures are first an overall view and second a close up showing how the detailing is done, everything so far apart from the background has been done with the faithful old cheapo #11 synthetic brush.
Colours are as before with the addition of burnt umber.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2010/196998-Dsc08089.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2010/196998-Dsc08088.jpg

More tomorrow folks.............:thumbsup:

Portugalmart
02-09-2010, 07:08 PM
Sorry Nithya I posted before I looked through and missed you!.Thank you I'm glad you like it.............

OkeeKat
02-10-2010, 01:47 AM
Looking great Mart, what size is this??

LavenderFrost
02-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Such a nice point on that brush!

Portugalmart
02-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Thanks Kathie, sorry, it's 10" x12"
Michelle, that is one of a set of about 10 synthetic brushes that come in a pack from a local Chinese shop and the pack costs 1.75 which is $2.40.
Fantastic for watercolour too, hold paint and keep shape, that brush has been used for 2 years and you can see the point is still great, the only downside is the paint falls off the handle!..........

Portugalmart
02-10-2010, 07:18 PM
Well folks, here is the finished picture, not at all happy with the droplet but it is what it is! The whole thing was finished predominantly with that same #11 brush and with the same routine as I posted previously so not much more to add, I blended the blurry drop with a stiff(ish) bristle brush as I went along............
The previous droplets look more complicated but were done simply by turning the canvas and painting a small curved garden (or whatever you see fit really) and adding highlights, they will simply refract what is behind them and because they are esentially a lens they flip the image.......Thank you for looking and commenting and I hope it was of some enjoyment..............Mart...........:thumbsup:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2010/196998-Another_droplet_resize.jpg

Andun
02-10-2010, 07:56 PM
That is beautiful Mart and a wonderful WIP too! I love seeing how great artists such as yourself do what they do!Thank you:)

Portugalmart
02-10-2010, 08:35 PM
Anthony, thank you very much, that's very kind of you, glad you liked it, not one of my better ones but you don't know how it will turn out when you commit.......
Thank you again...........Mart

clode
02-10-2010, 10:07 PM
I like this .. thank you for this exchange!

*dee*
02-10-2010, 10:21 PM
Wonderful!!!!!!! :clap:

You really did a fine job explaining your process! Thank you so much!

Danimal316
02-10-2010, 10:27 PM
I love this. I learn so much from everyone here when a WIP is done, and this was no exception. Thanks for taking the time to do such a good time on both the painting and the explanations. Great work.

Portugalmart
02-11-2010, 04:58 AM
Clode, Dee, Dan, thank you for taking time to look and comment, I hope you enjoyed it, I, like you Dan, love watching wips progress and seeing how others achieve the finished article, Thank you again..............Mart

LavenderFrost
02-11-2010, 12:39 PM
It's beautiful. Thank for posting the wip.

susme48
02-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Thank you Mart....so intriguing!! Not sure I am ready for it yet...but will remember!!

nithya_swamy
02-11-2010, 01:14 PM
Great finish, though I agree it is not your best :) The other droplets were better than this one.

Aartvark
02-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Gorgeous, Martin. Thanks for the WIP.

Taddybigs
02-11-2010, 01:34 PM
What a gift to show us how you work. Thank you so much! Nancy

Portugalmart
02-11-2010, 07:11 PM
Michelle, Susan, Nithya, Lisa and Nancy, you are very welcome and thank you all so much for your kind comments and support, I really appreciate it...........Mart

Charlie's Mum
02-12-2010, 08:31 AM
Aw shucks - sorry to have missed the party Mart but have enjoyed the catch-up!
I love to see how others make paintings, so thanks for this ...... and yes, you can make a step-by-step of the other photos of your previous work if you want to - for those who haven't seen them I'm sure they'll appreciate the methodology ;)

I really do like the twig in this one - the close is lovely.

... and I used my magic to make your duplicate post disappear ;) ;) :lol:

Portugalmart
02-12-2010, 09:24 AM
Thank you Maureen for your comments and your magic wand! I'll get the other Wip posted as and when................Thanks again...........Mart