GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: "Her Reverie"-WIP
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
..Trying for a timeless,contemplative mood in this one.
Because of the design of this painting,..I knew that I had to make all that negative space to her left........interesting. Have I achieved this?
Her long,..many-ruffled skirt comes next.
LOTS of texture..; it should be fun.....:)

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any suggestions?

mcknight
09-15-2002, 07:34 PM
It's certainly interesting :) Love that rich bronze colour. Due to camera flash reflections, it's a bit of a distraction from the subject though. I'm sure that once you've done the skirt, it will fall together nicely.

Out of curiousity, do you always underpaint your canvases with red? What effect does that give you?

Dave

Paintonbrush
09-15-2002, 08:25 PM
Is so interesting to watch your steps. I like that you imply the flowers to the left, also like that you have a marvelous FACE here. its tough to say how the left would balance without seeing the whole, (skirt) I'm gonna jump in this thread to keep up with it.

nonamac
09-15-2002, 09:01 PM
Scott,

The space to the left certainly IS interesting -- l just love the texture and the colours and especially that it manages not to detract a hair from the face and torso and the light falling on them!!!

This is an awesome beginning...I'm keen to see how it goes!

nonamac

mattlart
09-15-2002, 09:14 PM
Hi Dave....Thanks for looking. There's no camera flash here;..the problem is bright halogens reflecting on the wet paint. The photo really washed out the right side of the painting, as well.
I usually put SOME kind of a wash over the canvas before I paint.
It varies from ochre to burnt sienna,...and this time,..a glowing,graded orange.I really like those areas in other's paintings where an orange,or red shows through;..so tried a BRIGHT orange on this one! So far,...so good....lol.
ALSO,..I mixed a bronze powder into my pigment and medium....

Diane.......:) The FACE took some time,lol,....but it does seem to have worked out....(big grin)Not going to do anything else to it, but maybe.....touch up the eye.........The skirt's going to be FUN!
Take care

Thank you, Nonamac......you're right;..TOO interesting could easily have detracted from the focal points here. Thanks for your visit,-S

jerryW
09-16-2002, 02:40 AM
if you finish it it will no longer match those poppies fagan made
(oh all right as you must)
so far the design is very strong.
the missing hand alone is unfinished
(but I am wierd)

jnet11
09-16-2002, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by mattlart
[BI knew that I had to make all that negative space to her left........interesting. Have I achieved this?
[/B]

I say emphatically yes. looking forward to the finished version.

thanks for posting progress pics! I love seeing how others work

woodguy
09-16-2002, 12:30 PM
Great beginning, Scott! Looking forward to the next stage. Jim

mattlart
09-16-2002, 12:55 PM
Hello Jerry;...You are suggesting that i only complete the hand,..and call her done? Interesting,...in another painting,...I might consider a concept like that. In this one,though,....the skirt is an irresistable temptation to sculpt the cascading and shimmering layers of fabric. My girlfriend now titles this piece "Stumpy".

I'm pleased that the darker area seems to work, Jnet;..thank you.
I will post the finished painting shortly,...lol;..I hope.And try to take a better photo of it. Cheers

Hey Jim......you seem to be finding the time to paint.....and do it well. Look forward to seeing more.........:)

meiwun
09-16-2002, 01:00 PM
mattlart
read your steps, i learned something didnt know,
looking forwards to seeing a completed one.

Fagan
09-16-2002, 01:06 PM
The background is looking good! Did you use the palette knife or brush? I realize you are not finished but was wondering about the neck area. It seems to be a little long...or something. *LOL* I am looking forward to seeing the cascades!!

artbabe21
09-16-2002, 08:27 PM
the likeness is incredible! YES! I love the beautiful skin tones
and to see your underpainting...
will go see the fini!