PDA

View Full Version : Color Palette Help?

Paramore365
02-07-2010, 03:40 PM
so i'm thinking of starting to work in acrylics, but i'm not sure which colors to buy. I really enjoy the color palettes of Greg "Craola" Simkins, Lola Gil, JennyBird Alcantara, and Michael Hussar (i know he uses oils, but the colors should translate). So if anyone knows anything about what colors they might use often, please PLEASE help me out. Thank you :)

idylbrush
02-07-2010, 03:49 PM
Have you considered trying to find an email address for one or so of them and asking them about their palette. Most artists are reasonable and friendly.

Paramore365
02-07-2010, 04:43 PM
yeah, i almost did, but i felt bad because i know they must be terribly busy. I just don't want to be a bother

Einion
02-07-2010, 11:44 PM
yeah, i almost did, but i felt bad because i know they must be terribly busy. I just don't want to be a bother
FWIW painting professionally can be a full-time job but that means that artists have around the same amount of time as anyone else with a job. So it's worth a shot - if you don't get an answer at least you tried.

Irrespective of whether you're lucky enough to get any replies a general thing I think you might be surprised at is how different the palettes of different painters can be, even if they're doing similar work. In oils more than in acrylics the very large selection of possible paints means that work of much the same colouration could theoretically be done by a half-dozen people who have no common colours between their palettes other than white!

When it comes to painting where the colour isn't all very chromatic it's very easy to mimic with different palettes since duller colours are within the gamut (the mixing range) of quite a number of paints - for example, if one assumes no requirement for a saturated dark blue then it's feasible to use Cerulean Blue, Cobalt Blue, Phthalo Blue GS or BS, French Ultramarine, Phthalo Cyan or Indanthrone Blue to produce the same sorts of colours :eek:

Einion