PDA

View Full Version : What's on Your Easel 1-7 thru 1/13

noodle1
02-07-2010, 09:02 AM
Morning All,

There have been some pretty amazing things on your easels, new week so carry on with your creative selves....:) Happy Painting.

Hugs,
Elaine

idylbrush
02-07-2010, 11:11 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Feb-2010/36241-bindu9-2A.jpg

Leaf skeletons added, enhanced with asphaltum acrylic, overtoned in gold acrylic.

noodle1
02-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Howard that is gorgeous, wow!!

Came back to say I'm sorry bout the date, seeing if it can be fixed.
But see you were all so productive and excellent with what was on your easel I didn't want to stop the flow...LOL I do know it's Feb., must have been still half asleep....sorry.

Hugs all round,
Elaine

texana6
02-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Howard, I like the addition of the leaf skeletons a LOT!

susme48
02-07-2010, 01:52 PM
OH OH OH.....Howard...wowsers!!! Love it!!!!

Morning Elaine, my friend...hope all is well with you!!! It's your last name hon....starting to rub off on ya...fight it....:) :::o sorry.,...could not r

Sad to say...everything that was on my easel is still on my easel....would like to get to paint today....need to start my self portrait....and look at the WDE pics....finish alot....or just play....who knows!

biddlebeach
02-07-2010, 02:12 PM
Susan, every thing is still sitting on mine too,, I would love to get down there today,, if only for a short time,, I also kinda peeked into the self portrait thingy,, thought about it,, buttttttttttt

Howard,, thumbs up!! lovin' it!

gaykir
02-07-2010, 04:39 PM
Fabulous start Howard!!!

*dee*
02-07-2010, 05:30 PM
Howard....THAT IS GORGEOUS!!!!! :eek: I am going to have to play with leaf skeletons!

Just got home from work & haven't opened up the palette yet. I'm hoping to work some more on my lily tonight.

I local art friend (she works in CP) and I would like to start a local art group.....any suggestions on how to get started?

idylbrush
02-07-2010, 05:49 PM
I would suggest starting with a small group of dedicated artists and build by inviting friends in the arts. Until there is little choice but to start a local arts group. Dedication and consistency are the order of the day I think. Start with little meetings in homes and when the time comes, move to a public building and then, if all goes well, buy a building to house all the "stuff" of an art organization.

Just MHO of course.

*dee*
02-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Thanks Howard. (I had intended to ask in the QDC...which I just did, so please excuse the repetition.)

biddlebeach
02-07-2010, 06:30 PM
I painted:clap: :clap: :clap: I painted!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:
Worked on the windows of the house and started one of my Princess

purplepansey
02-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Mary, nice to see the house progressing and the dog is adorable, I can see why you call her a princess.
Howard, most unsual, love the leaves. BTW I got one of those little paint applicators you showed picture of, thanks for the info on where to buy, bought mine at Wmart.

biddlebeach
02-07-2010, 07:22 PM
She KNOWS she is a princess and demands it! LOL
I only hope I can do her justice..

lmarie23
02-07-2010, 09:19 PM
hi everyone. haven't been around in quite a while... i've been so busy with the holidays and school starting a month ago... plus i was dating this guy for a month and spending all my time with him. we broke up thursday so now i'm trying to find myself again. so tonight i decided to do a self-portrait. i wanted to post it on this thread but then i saw that there is a self-portrait challenge going on this month. i've already done a series of 5 self-portraits around Christmastime. i still want to post my new one here though maybe it's not allowed? because i can't reveal it until the end of the challenge? well i didn't do it because of the challenge so i'm posting it anyways... and i took a photo of myself in the mirror which the portrait is based on. does the outer outline part look like me? sometimes i outline things in white and then fill in, i like the white edge showing in small places around the edge of the portrait. i know maybe it doesn't make sense to you, i have a unique artistic style.

Lynne

*dee*
02-07-2010, 11:03 PM
Lynne, I know this is just the start, but your face is considerably more narrow than you have depicted.

I've puttered on my lily some more today....intensifying the colors. I think next will be getting more detail in.....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Feb-2010/156775-002.JPG

I think I need to put in more "cobalt shadowing" on the right side of the flower. Maybe it will give a greater illusion of depth.

texana6
02-07-2010, 11:22 PM
Dee ... I think Howard's suggestions on forming an organization are spot on. A local group here jumped in too soon to buy an old building as their art center in a not very visited area of town. The cost of the payments plus needed repairs is tearing the organization apart. The annual dues might be better spent sponsoring a highly visible art show once a year rather than hanging paintings in a building that no one visits. Just MHO.

~~Kathleen
02-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Your Lily is shaping up so well Dee, your doing fine on this one. Keep us posted!
Howard, that is GORGEOUS! So beautiflu!, so nice....cannot wait 'till the reveal! (but I guess I'll have to!)
here is what I am working on right now, I had to take a rest from my Real Women series, I was/am just too involved in them, and have to step back a wee bit.
Sunrise on Larches.....
(beginning stages.....wish me luck, has been a long time since I've painted a landscape)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Feb-2010/92567-ppink_sky_larches.JPG

gaykir
02-07-2010, 11:46 PM
Nice Kathleen!

texana6
02-07-2010, 11:57 PM
Dee - your lily is coming along great
Lynn - It will be interesting to see your work in progress.
Mary - Likewise, I enjoy seeing you work your paintings from black and white to color. Princess already looks very sweet.

I prepped a 24x30" canvas today and hope to start Hamelia tomorrow. My reference is a photo I took in October of my Hamelia (Firebush) which draws hummingbirds to my patio.

texana6
02-07-2010, 11:59 PM
Kathleen - I think that's a great start on "Sunrise on the Larches."

~~Kathleen
02-08-2010, 12:12 AM
Thanks all,:wave: I just may leave this one "rough" and do another a wee bit more detailed. I kinda like how loosely this one came together.

Zena
02-08-2010, 12:16 AM
Howard! That looks awesome! I love the leaves!
Your lilies are looking great!
Sorry i can't help with people portraits.
This is a new one i'm working on.Got the ref from wc.Got a long ways to go yet.Was just wondering what i should put in the back??Chairs or a curtain or just a wall??What color do you think would look good??Thanks,hugz,Janhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Feb-2010/21385-Oranges_003.JPG

OkeeKat
02-08-2010, 02:41 AM
My everyone has been busy today!!

Howard, Great leaf work, beautiful!!
Mary, House looks fabulous, Awww how cute Princess is!
Lynne, hi welcome back, nice start.
Dee, ohhh this Lily is really beautiful, great tones.
Kathleen, fabulous already!
LInda, gorgeous pic, can't wait to see the painting
Jan, wow beautiful, great work on the linen and oranges. May I suggest darker cloth on the table in the back and lighter in front, dont forget your shadows on the cloth from the pitcher and bowl.. willl help ground them some.

Been a little busy with company and family this weekend just got to painting this evening.
worked on the water a lot, now have to do the lilypads.. still not too happy with the bull on the right. needs a little more details still.
sorry photo is a tad bit blurry.

lmarie23
02-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Hi everyone.

Dee, you're right, the face was too wide. I think of myself as having such a round face, I'm self-conscious about it, so then I think I exaggerate how round it is because that's how I perceive myself. I have worked on it considerably since though. Yours is looking great so far...

Kathleen, good start, i like those subtle tones together.

Linda, what a beautiful reference pic!

Jan, that's looking just beautiful. I haven't been around in a while but when I was around before you had just joined the forum I believe? You've improved a lot! Orange and blue always "pop" which is why I'm using them in my painting as well (or will be once i paint in the orange tank top).

Kathie, that's just beautiful, my eye wanders around the composition and can't decide what it likes most. Looking forward to see it finished but it looks pretty great now.

~~~
Here is my work in progress....

Lynne

idylbrush
02-08-2010, 05:26 PM
More of the same.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Feb-2010/36241-bindu9-2C.jpg

Imarie, just because you have done one self portrait, doesn't mean you can't do another for the challenge.

You might consider the chin area, seems a bit short to me. Think thinning the face is good but maybe not quite enough.. Coming along nicely.

biddlebeach
02-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Got to paint a bit today,, whoot!

OkeeKat
02-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Thanks Lynne! Your portrait is coming along nicely
Howard, Love the bright green on this one!
Mary, ohh she's so cute!!

almost done, tweeked the cows and the water. .now finishing up on the lilypads.

biddlebeach
02-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Thanks Kathie!
Howard,, I LOVE that green addition! THAT is by far,, my favorite color!
Lynn, coming along! I am afraid to do one of myself,, I am a double chin hater,, LOL hmm, maybe I could paint it out,, eh?
Zena,, gees,, those oranges,, wow! they are fab girl!!!
Kathy, I can't believe this is not done yet,, it is wonderful!
Sorry if I missed anyone,,

texana6
02-08-2010, 07:06 PM
Zena, you might try a darkish green background to make your still life "pop." I'm looking forward to seeing it when you have the shadows in place.

Howard, GASP!

Mary, Princess is clearly a "Sweetie"!

I'm going to put on at least two more coats of gesso before I begin "Hamelia". Creative Mark "The Edge" canvases? Never again. I have two more 16x20s and four more 24x30s. :( On the other hand I have bought some Fredrix Blue Label (Ultra Smooth Portrait Grade) in 8x10" and I like them MUCH better.

Foxyheart2002
02-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Kathie, the bull needs to be darker. You want to see him. You just don't want him to be 'the' focal point, but with him facing the cows, the eye will be drawn towards the cows. In the photo above, he just looks unfinished.

Your eye right now sees the cow and calf, then it goes down into the water, following the dark ripples, then over to the dark on the right, then up to the bull where it stops because it is unfinished and you are trying to figure out just what it is.

OkeeKat
02-08-2010, 11:22 PM
Thank you Mary! I just had alot to do yet on the lilypads.
THANKS Sue!
Worked more on the bull on the right and some on the calf and lilypads.. I'm about to call it done.. would do more details on the bull but realy having trouble placing his features. hoping the larger grass hides alot. photo isn't realy good a haze kinda over the blacks. doesnt show the true details in the tones on his muscles as I have encluded.

will try to get a better photo tomorrow.

reference photos:

~~Kathleen
02-08-2010, 11:24 PM
I think I am finished with this one....For some reason the pink in the sky will not show up!! If you look to where the break in the trees is (about the middle) and look down to the bottom of the "V" you will see Pink....For some reason that is the only Pink that shows the sky has a lot of Pink in it.....Go figure:confused:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Feb-2010/92567-catching_rays_083.jpg

OkeeKat
02-08-2010, 11:26 PM
Fabulous Kathleen, I'm sure its much more vibrant and beautiful in real life!! Great finish!

sveldstra
02-09-2010, 09:33 AM
This is a 5X7 that has just come off my easel to be replaced by a 16X20 larger version of the same. The 5X7 was just a dry run to see if I could pull off the colours and work out the layout I wanted to try. I'm glad I did it as I have found a few areas that need to be worked differently, particularly where the closest paw meets the ground, but over all I am happy with it. If anyone sees anything else I am missing let me know so I don't repeat the mistakes on the larger one.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2010/151124-sleeping_bear.jpg

texana6
02-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Kathleen, I agree with Kathy ... sometimes the camera just doesn't pick up a color or it overreacts to another color. My Nikon SLR tends to overemphasize blues but it is insensitive to reds. My photos of red poppies look like they are all the same shade of red. It doesn't pick up the subtleties.

Zena
02-09-2010, 11:24 AM
All the paintings are coming along beautifully!! Thankyou Kath too for your suggestions! I better get back to my painting,hehee.Hugz

~~Kathleen
02-09-2010, 01:28 PM
WOW! That Polar bear is really something. I have a friend in Inuvik and we often (when I visit twice yearly)go Polar Bear watching.
They are beautiful animals, but Oh so Dangerous.

Howard, this is amazing, I actually gasped when I scrolled to it! now I am waiting again....hurry up Huh? :wink2:

My next real woman in composition stage....
I have finally sketched/painted her in the shape I want. Now to print off a gel & repaint that, I have not given much thought to anything further than that so far. These Ladies seem to have their own minds once on the canvas.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2010/92567-Yoga_001.jpg

Detail of the background
Initially, I textured the background, laid down a background of thick reds & greens, sprayed the wet paint lay the canvas level to get a mottled look. When it was dry, I drizzled loose paint in the reds & greens for the drip lines.
We will see where this one goes now. :)
Keep up the good work all.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2010/92567-Yoga_detailjpg.jpg

idylbrush
02-09-2010, 02:30 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2010/36241-bindu-8web.jpg

This has been mounted on a black background and has .5" lifts on the back to raise the whole thing off the wall. Think it came out fairly well.

Foxyheart2002
02-09-2010, 03:24 PM
Sharon, the foreground color and his nose are the same making him lose his nose. That is the only thing I can see that may need to be addressed.

Kathleen, when I first saw this it looked like she had toilet paper bits all over her. Then I saw it was tape holding on the image. whew. lolol

lmarie23
02-09-2010, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Yes, I see that the chin is not long enough... I just keep making the face bigger and bigger to compensate for the fact that it was too wide, and I'm concerned that now the neck is going to look like it's in the wrong place, well maybe it already does.... here's two updates.

Lynne

Raymo
02-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Lynne....youre getting close !

idylbrush
02-09-2010, 09:49 PM
All seem to be coming along well.

YAY!

Here is where I reached today.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2010/36241-Bindu9-3.jpg

dances_with_oils
02-09-2010, 10:02 PM
Ohhhh kathleen, she looks like she's sitting on the ground feeling the heartbeat of mother earth. Awesome!

Howard, love it.

LynneMarie, love your self portraits.

Sharon, liking the composition.

Zena
02-09-2010, 11:46 PM
Wow! Some wonderful paintings going on here!!
Ok,i have done more on this painting.Still not sure what to do with the background yet.Would like some input please.A couple of chairs backs maybe?With a wall behind or curtain?And what color for the wall or drapes??Don't know what that white spot is,lol.Thanks so much,Janhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2010/21385-Oranges_002.JPG

OkeeKat
02-10-2010, 01:15 AM
Hi all, varnished my Riverbank tonight and started on another, hope to do this a quick less detailed one.. mostly leaves and grass. with a little water.

here is the underpainting and the reference.. same Blue cypress Lake Joe took the other photos I used in my Cypress Serenity painting.
whatcha think???

Reference:

ugly stage, underpainting sofar this eve.

OkeeKat
02-10-2010, 01:16 AM
Sharon, ohhh this Polar bear is Beautiful, I love the crop and pose.. something to the effect.. let sleeping dogs lie!

Kathleen, love what you did with this figure! Great pose! Love the background, fabulous tones and texture.

Howard, even more stunning with the black background!! Love it.. wow the new one looks great, what a neat ornamental in the center, with the black lines.. kinda reminds me of an abstract kitty!!

Lynne, looking good!

Jan, there you go.. now looks so much better!! more grounded and depth!! Now your cookin!! shape the bowl and pitcher more withe more darks in the shading. add some blues/purples to your white/black, rather then using straight grays. if you look at snow scenes.. there is a lot of blue and purples. I would use a mottled brown/tan background or even black/browns to make the display stand out more.. but then add more darks to the table cloth in the back right of pitcher, it might just be the photo glare. blut looks a tad bit light.
I think your orange in fron ot the pitcher is kinda to the left of the bowl and the bottom right of that orange should be in the shadow.. and only highlights on the upper top right and center front.. but front right is partly in the shadow..so blend it from right to center. dark to light. if that makes any sense.

Zena
02-10-2010, 09:29 AM
Looking great so far Kathie!! Hugz,Jan

~~Kathleen
02-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Morning all, I painted almost all night and am now about ready for bed.:thumbsup:
Jan this is just lovely. I might do a wall and little else so as not to distract from the foreground. (a light beige with a wash of ocher in it to compliment the fruit. The dining Cloth is just wonderful.
Holy Cow Kathie, You might as well repaint the whole thing and make it yours.
if Jan does everything you want, it would then cease to be her painting.
It would be good if you did a still life ,or possibly the same painting so she could see how you painted it.
Howard, the both of them are wonderful. Always in your own unique style and colours. I so enjoy your work.
I will post an up date of mine later today when the light is better for photos.
Keep up the good work all.

Zena
02-10-2010, 01:29 PM
Thankyou so much Kath!! I do appreciate it! Thankyou Kathleen! Do you think Kathie would???LOLOLOLJust kidding!! I do appreciate all the suggestions!! Hugz,Jan

biddlebeach
02-10-2010, 04:16 PM
I worked on my Princess last night, but ya can't really see much difference , so I wont post it till I get more done.

idylbrush
02-10-2010, 05:29 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2010/36241-bindu10-1.jpg

Starting a new one.

biddlebeach
02-10-2010, 06:57 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhhh
nice start Howard!

texana6
02-10-2010, 07:48 PM
Howard, I like your additions adding dimension and texture.
Zena, I think a dark green wall (with some variations) would complement the orange, blue and white without "stealing their thunder" so to speak.
Kathy, those cypress trees at the one-third mark have some wonderful gesture to them that you have translated well with your underpainting. This is going to be good.
Lynne Marie - Hang in there with your self portrait. It's getting closer.
Now, as to my Hamelia? I transfered my drawing to the canvas, stepped back and realized that it is all wrong as the center of focus was nearly at the halfway mark vertically... so I'm going to redo my composition. Better to start over now than after I have invested more time into it. I have my life drawing class tomorrow so it may well be the weekend before I recover. Sigh.

biddlebeach
02-10-2010, 08:42 PM
Well, I can't post what i worked on here, cuz it was my self portrait,,

ecobb
02-10-2010, 10:15 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2010/91975-Ezel_001a.jpg

Rainey day pratice. 16 x 20 on panel.

Zena
02-10-2010, 10:27 PM
VERY NICE painting Eric! And thankyou! I think i may go with your dark green idea!! It needs a change of color! Hugz,Jan

biddlebeach
02-10-2010, 10:38 PM
Eric! that is beautiful!

susme48
02-11-2010, 12:18 AM
Jan...just in case you do not have a photo proggie to play with....I played with a green bg....kind of found that a grayed green looked better IMO...and maybe a touch of a black/green under the table? I did find a spot where you missed the tablecloth by playing around...so maybe I did something right! :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2010/51170-wctpot.jpg

Howard....these are all wonderful!! Eric...nice to see your work again! Everyone else is coming right along..and I am enjoying peeking even if I am not participating! I am doing the self portrait thing...so I guess I am at least painting.

OkeeKat
02-11-2010, 12:40 AM
Howard, Realy love this one!
Eric, wow your water and sky is fabulous!!
Jan, hehe nahh its your painting, I just trying to help you some! I know you appreciate it and will take the suggestions in and do what you like.
Kathleen, sorry you feel that way, when a Friend of mine askes me for help, I offer ideas of what might look good to me. as you know we all have our own style and I know Jan will do with it as she wishes.

Sue and Mary, anxious to see your portraits!!
Here is an update on my Cypress trees. hope to be done my friday nite as show is saturday!

Foxyheart2002
02-11-2010, 02:45 AM
Jan, another thing you will need to address is the yellow tablecloth where it bends at the edge of the table. Right now it just is flat, I assume it is hanging over. Also, the bowl's shadow is different than the orange's shadow, it gives the impression of different light sources.

Nice start, Kathie. Waiting to see how it progresses.

.....:)

Foxyheart2002
02-11-2010, 03:16 AM
Jan, I put in some shadows to explain what I was trying to say.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2010/22615-zenaorange.jpg

Of course, if you change the light source, the shadows and the tablecloth colors will change.

biddlebeach
02-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Jan, this is coming along beautifully! keep at it!
Kathie, I always appreciated your input.. :)

~~Kathleen
02-11-2010, 03:13 PM
The beginning of the next in the series....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2010/92567-Yoga_013.jpg

Drama Queen
02-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Nothing right now I prefer painting outside it helps me concetrate better, but alas its just to cold so I have been focusing on printmaking

Drama Queen
02-11-2010, 03:57 PM
The beginning of the next in the series....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2010/92567-Yoga_013.jpg
Out of curiosty what did you use to do this painting it is very eye catching

biddlebeach
02-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Worked on The Princess a bit today

idylbrush
02-11-2010, 05:31 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2010/36241-bindu10detail2.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2010/36241-bindu10-2.jpg

simple and subtle but it does show.

*dee*
02-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Mary....lookin' good!!! :thumbsup:

Howard...."subtle" can be very dramatic....and I think this is starting out as both!!! :smug:

~~Kathleen
02-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Out of curiosty what did you use to do this painting it is very eye catching
I used thickly spread Golden Artist acrylics laid down with a palette knife, let it dry somewhat and then smooshed it with a cloth to smear/blend it.
Lifting the cloth and the paint adhered and pressing it, and the paint stuck to it, onto a new area. This blends all the different colours in a very nice manner.
Then I used various things such as rubber drawer liners with patterns in pressed them into the paint for the patterns and ridges. After it was all dry, I covered the canvas completely with black Gesso, set the canvas upright and sprayed closely with water until the gesso dripped down almost washing itself off. the three circles were just different sized lids dipped in Tit white and pressed onto the canvas. There are about 12 layers of paint at this stage. When everything was dry, Again I used, Golden Plthalo blue (gs), straight from the tube smudged this on the top half of the canvas and brushed it smooth with a very large dry, soft house painting brush, for what will eventually become the sky.

I know this sounds vague, but when I prepare a canvas this way, I follow no set rules, and the end result is as much a surprise to myself as it is to everyone else. as this will be the background, my only concern was that the area that I will paint over remain smooth with no ridges.
Hope this helps, you might want to get an old canvas and sort of practice this, it can be very pleasing.
~~Kathleen
Mary Princess is wonderful.
Howard.....HOLY CATS! Are these interference colours?

idylbrush
02-11-2010, 06:28 PM
Kathleen, no they aren't, just standard acrylics.

biddlebeach
02-11-2010, 08:05 PM
Thanks guys,, she has a very long ways to go,,

~~Kathleen
02-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Thanks Howard, I suppose you sprayed it on....Wonderful Thanks for responding :)
Progress so far on todays painting I now have six layers of glazing on this, and as I add each element I will glaze again, this gives the painting great depth when viewed in real life. Long way to go though.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2010/92567-Yoga12_002.jpg

idylbrush
02-11-2010, 08:54 PM
Kathleen, the best one yet and it has a new more open feel to it.

OkeeKat
02-11-2010, 09:40 PM
Sue, Thanks so much!! Like your suggestions for Jan's Tablecloth!
Mary, I'm glad, thanks, I always like to help when I can. Princess is realy coming to life!
Kathleen, great colors interesting pose on this one. I like it.
Howard, Love it!! very suptle and simplem but I love it the gold is awesome!!

Did a little on the water when I got home from work, hope to do a bit more then will post a photo this eve.

later all!

Zena
02-11-2010, 11:15 PM
Ohhhh,Howard,Love the golden color in these!
Kathleen,i really like this one too!
Mary,your Princess is looking good!! Great job guys! Hugz

Zena
02-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Jan...just in case you do not have a photo proggie to play with....I played with a green bg....kind of found that a grayed green looked better IMO...and maybe a touch of a black/green under the table? I did find a spot where you missed the tablecloth by playing around...so maybe I did something right! :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2010/51170-wctpot.jpg

Howard....these are all wonderful!! Eric...nice to see your work again! Everyone else is coming right along..and I am enjoying peeking even if I am not participating! I am doing the self portrait thing...so I guess I am at least painting.
THANKS SUE!! I just noticed this,lol.Hugz,Jan

OkeeKat
02-12-2010, 01:09 AM
here is the second update on my Cypress Trees!
Still not sure what the title will be!
Open for suggestions. (its on 16x20" canvas)

idylbrush
02-12-2010, 05:59 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2010/36241-Bindu10-3.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2010/36241-bindu10-3A.jpg

Got a chance to get a bit more done. Added an interference color.Interference oxide green (BS) and (YS). Just for variety.

These are sponged onto the canvas with a cosmetic sponge.

Bob Rooney
02-12-2010, 09:39 AM
11" x 14" on canvas.
I seem to have painted a road to nowhere. I'll have to think of something this road leads to. Perhaps I will name this "My Eye Went Down the Road and Ran Into a Tree". :eek:.

............http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2010/76304-rd-to-nowhere-2wc.jpg

~~Kathleen
02-12-2010, 11:51 AM
I think this is finished, but, I am not sure about the moon.
It seems very stark as opposed to the rest of the painting.
I have posted a closeup of the seeds (real grass seed) falling from her hand as well.
Because of the glazes it is next to impossible to photograph correctly. So I tried to do it on an angle, and they came out better.
The moon is Silver Leaf, if you have any suggestions I would appreciate them.
Thanks for looking.
size....16" X 20"

The seeds falling from her hand into the ground.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2010/92567-Yoga12_007.jpg
_____

OkeeKat
02-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Howard, Love the interference colors, fabulous!
Bob, foreground looks awesome, I love the road to nowhere, like my stairway to nowhere!! leaves alot more to the imagination! I'd suggest some more details on the tree though, define the branches and a few fall leaves left on it that haven't fallen, just a thought.
Kathleen, the seeds make an interesting effect. is there anyway to tone down the silverleaf a little on the edges only to give it a more 3d look? maybe with a darker silver metallic?? Maybe that might help soften it a bit.

Zena
02-12-2010, 12:12 PM
I'm loving this one Kathleen! Great job!
Howard,your textures are AWESOME!
Kathie always has some great suggestions! I appreciate it alot Kath!
Worked some more on this one.Hope you all think it's almost done as i'm getting tired of it,lol.Want to move on to something else.What ya all think??Hugz,Janhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2010/21385-Oranges_001.JPG

OkeeKat
02-12-2010, 01:25 PM
ohhh much better Jan!! looks great!

~~Kathleen
02-12-2010, 01:30 PM
WOW! Kathie where do you find dark Silver foil? I have never seen any other than what I use now!
Jan Sign it and consider it done. Susans suggestion re the darker green background is wonderful in this.
Bob, sometimes it is good to meander around and just go nowhere! (nice painting as well!:clap:)
Howard, subtle but beautiful....I await more!:)
Be well all

Zena
02-12-2010, 01:35 PM
Oh great! Thankyou gals!! Hugz,Jan

biddlebeach
02-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Jan! well done! looks great!
Personally, I like roads to nowhere,, LOL

idylbrush
02-12-2010, 04:03 PM
If you feel you must tone down the silver, you can glaze it with a bit of black and van dyk brown, or if you can get it asphaltum acrylic color, mixed with lots of glazing medium or gloss medium. Dry brush it over the silver until the desired toning down is achieved. It should soften the starkness and yet allow the silver to shine through.

biddlebeach
02-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Worked on the Princess today,,

Zena
02-12-2010, 08:23 PM
Awww,Princess is precious!! A Daschie right?? Hugz,Jan

lmarie23
02-12-2010, 08:24 PM
Kathie, I love how yours is coming along - looks beautiful.
Jan, yours is coming along really nicely as well.
Kathleen - how unique!
Mary, just beautiful, I love how the tones of her coat flow together.

sorry I'm not responding to everyone - need to leave pretty soon for a party but just thought I would post quick....

here is my update:
I had fun painting the tank top. The real tank top is more peach than this. I like the vibrancy but right now it's too distracting from the face - maybe when I add the detail in the hair it will balance it out? Or I'll just do a peach glaze over the tank top to neutralize it. What do you think?

Lynne

Zena
02-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Ohhh,thats looking good Lynne! I'd do the hair first and then see what you think! Hugz,Jan

biddlebeach
02-12-2010, 08:41 PM
Yep, she is a long hair doxie,, and a cutie for sure!

Lynn, I like the tank top! it looks so real,, keep at the rest before you make any decisions on it..

this is a lousy pic of where the painting is coming from.

Zena
02-12-2010, 08:54 PM
Awww,she is for sure a precious girl Mary! Are'nt they the best! I have a shihtzu named Zena,hence my puter name,lol.She is our precious baby too,hugz.yeh,not the greatest pic to work from Mary.Is your baby still here??

Zena
02-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Mary,i hope you don't mind but i tried to tweak your photo for you ,Does it look somewhat better now??Hugz,Janhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2010/21385-100_1624.JPG

biddlebeach
02-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Thanks Jan! yeh, that is better, we just got her at Thanksgiving time, we lost our other Doxie in June last year and swore we were not going to do it again,, see what swearing gets ya?
love her to bits,, we are learning that she didn't have such a great life with her former owners so we are trying to make up for it,, I havbe bunches of other photos of her that show her coloring much better, but I really loved this pose,, LOL,

Zena
02-13-2010, 10:05 AM
Your very welcome Mary! I know it's so heartbreaking when we lose them but they give us so much joy and love.I'm happy you got Princess! You were meant to have her as you give these babies a great life and lots of love which they need so much too.I can't understand how people can abuse animals,it just makes me ill.Hugz,Jan

biddlebeach
02-13-2010, 10:22 AM
I don't want to say she was abused, so much as neglected.. in some very basic ways,, like never trained to not bark at every little thing,, that , we are working on and she is so smart,, she can learn,, I am very glad that they did house train her,, whew, that may have been a nightmare,, they used to hook her up outside for hours with no one else out there, and she pretty much barked the whole time,, poor baby..
Yes, it makes me sick too,, but my little Princess is going to get the very best of everything that Mark and I can do for her..

Zena
02-13-2010, 10:29 AM
Neglect can be just as bad As they need so much love and care too.I know you will do everything for her and love her to pieces Mary!! Hugz,Jan

biddlebeach
02-13-2010, 01:44 PM
Neglect can be just as bad As they need so much love and care too. Hugz,Jan
very true

lmarie23
02-13-2010, 02:24 PM
I think it might be done? I tried to make the highlights in the hair fairly dramatic so I could keep the bright orange top. I wish I could do thinner lines in the hair but I am lacking a good small brush right now and I'm completely broke right now.... what do you guys think?

Oh, and I wish I had gotten the chin right - I tried to make it longer but couldn't seem to figure out how long, kept redoing it, finally ended up with this, but it's still not long enough and now I've overworked it too much so I'm leaving it....

Mary, your doxie is so very cute!

Lynne

idylbrush
02-13-2010, 03:27 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Feb-2010/36241-Bindu10-4.jpg

You can really see the oxide green interference with the BS and YS differentiation. Added the softer mirror finish by adding mirror to the base color with a touch of white. It softens the harsh reflection and softens the overall effect.

biddlebeach
02-13-2010, 03:54 PM
sorry,, double post

biddlebeach
02-13-2010, 03:54 PM
looks great Lynn! Thanks.. love her to bits..
Howard,, sigh,, what can I say? you ROCK!

idylbrush
02-13-2010, 06:37 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Feb-2010/36241-bindu10-5.jpg

getting closer

Zena
02-13-2010, 06:49 PM
Lynne,I love it! Keep the bright top! Great job!
Howard,That is AMAZING!! LOVE IT!
Hugz,Jan

Zena
02-13-2010, 07:00 PM
Here's one i started today.It'
s a photo i got permission to use from a photographer.It's at the ugly stage yet! Lots to do! Hugz,Janhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Feb-2010/21385-piano,roses_005.JPG

biddlebeach
02-13-2010, 07:26 PM
Jan,, great start!!