PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Bags

dhonegger
02-06-2010, 02:05 PM
Is anyone here using crystal bags from ClearBags to store finished pastel work? I'm looking for bags that are static-free and want to know if anyone here uses these? If not, what are you using and where can I purchase them?

Thanks,

Diane

Kathryn Wilson
02-06-2010, 04:23 PM
I moved this over to Pastel Talk for you.

I have used the bags, but they are not entirely static free, so I use glassine clipped to the front of the painting.

Deborah Secor
02-06-2010, 04:28 PM
There is no bag that will be completely static free. ClearBags are low in static because of the material used to make them. However, I burnish my paintings and place them in the bags. A bit of fall off won't damage the painting unless it slips around in the bag, so I tape the bag back to be sure that doesn't happen.

There's a LOT of discussion of these bags and other means people use in other threads. I suggest doing a search in the Soft Pastel Talk forum.

Deborah

adventureartist
02-07-2010, 12:23 AM
What do you mean by "burnish". Inquiring minds want to know....:D

dhonegger
02-07-2010, 01:47 PM
I moved this over to Pastel Talk for you.

I have used the bags, but they are not entirely static free, so I use glassine clipped to the front of the painting.

Thanks, Kathryn. That's what I needed to know.

Diane

dhonegger
02-07-2010, 01:50 PM
There is no bag that will be completely static free. ClearBags are low in static because of the material used to make them. However, I burnish my paintings and place them in the bags. A bit of fall off won't damage the painting unless it slips around in the bag, so I tape the bag back to be sure that doesn't happen.

There's a LOT of discussion of these bags and other means people use in other threads. I suggest doing a search in the Soft Pastel Talk forum.

Deborah

Thanks, Deborah. So THAT'S why my search for "crystal bags", "storage bags", and "bags" didn't bring anything up here. Right church, wrong pew :lol: .

Diane

Diane

Deborah Secor
02-07-2010, 08:50 PM
What do you mean by "burnish". Inquiring minds want to know....:D

Dru, it's just the process of laying a clean sheet of newsprint over the top and 'burnishing' it with the flat of my hand, which pushes loose bits down into the paper a bit more. It leaves a ghost of the image on the paper, but it doesn't harm the painting. Then when I put it in the bag it isn't as prone to shed pastel.

Glad to be of help, Diane. :)

Deborah