PDA

View Full Version : WIP - The resting place

indigorose2
02-03-2010, 09:46 PM
Okay, folks. I'm a newbie to both the BB and to acrylics, so please be kind. This is my first painting and I'm still learning - and I've got a LOT to learn.

This started out as pencil on canvas. I then applied fixative. I have a medium gloss gel giving texture to the roof area and some depth to the flag. I'm looking at putting it on the near post to the right too, for more depth.

I put an underlayer of paint setting most of the colors, but haven't touched the white yet. Now I've started putting a second layer on the greens and blues, and have now added the darks in the doorway.

I know I'm not doing it the way a lot of you do with setting shadows first but this what I'm being taught in a painting class that I'm taking right now. (Christmas gift from my DH.)

Here's the pic. Painting is tentatively titled The Resting Place...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Feb-2010/213774-therestingplace.jpg

indigorose2
02-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Oh, and this is the original that I'm working from...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Feb-2010/213774-DSCF0840.JPG

noodle1
02-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Hi and Welcome,
Think this is a good start. Love your reference and can't wait to see how you progress. I don't lay in shadows first but then I don't always approach every piece the same way, learning the many ways there are, you can choose, that's always good. LOL

Elaine

susme48
02-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Looking good so far...and I tend to 'just paint' without alot of prep or forethought....so :o

I hope you don't mind....I straightened your painting in my photo program...so we could see the angles better.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Feb-2010/51170-wchousepic.jpg

It seems like your porch rail might need a second look. But otherwise you seem to be on the right track....love your ref!

indigorose2
02-04-2010, 04:03 PM
I hope you don't mind....I straightened your painting in my photo program...so we could see the angles better.

*chuckle* Actually, I'd already straightened it using a photo program, but the cropping does seem to have helped make the picture easier to analyze. Thanks! :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Feb-2010/51170-wchousepic.jpg

It seems like your porch rail might need a second look. But otherwise you seem to be on the right track....love your ref!

It's just pencil right now, but I'll take another look at it.

ETA: You're right. I need to lift the angle just a little. Thanks!

I have a question for folks about "whites", though. Right now, I haven't done any of the whites in the picture. They're still canvas with pencil. I'm so used to hearing that whites are done last, as a highlight. I don't see how I can do that with this, since a good portion of the picture is gradations of white. So how do I do this?

Should I use zinc white (with slight grays or creams added) so that I can still see some of my pencil lines? Do I use titanium white?

Is it time for me to add white or do I need to do more on the colors first?

Signed,

I don't know where to go next! :o

PattiLou
02-04-2010, 06:03 PM
Love your reference Teri, it's going to be gorgeous when you are finished!

Actually, I use gesso for my white, tinting for the shadows with the proper colors. I only use Titanium for the very brightest highlight. You will probably receive several different answers and then find what works best for you.

indigorose2
02-04-2010, 07:43 PM
Love your reference Teri, it's going to be gorgeous when you are finished!

Actually, I use gesso for my white, tinting for the shadows with the proper colors. I only use Titanium for the very brightest highlight. You will probably receive several different answers and then find what works best for you.

Really? Hmmm.... I have gel but not gesso. Gel dries translucent if I remember correctly, though it could be colored with white.

Thanks for the idea, PattiLou! I'll have to think about that. Not sure I'll be able to try that this first time around but if not I'll definitely be experimenting after the fact.

Andun
02-05-2010, 06:26 AM
i REALLY LIKE THE REFERENCE SHOT BUT FOR A BEGINNER IT LOOKS A TAD COMPLICATED. i WILL KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR PROGRESS.:)

OkeeKat
02-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Hi Teri!
welcome, you are off to a great start. you did chose a tough one for your first but I'm sure it will be great.

I do use titanium white but with mixed tones of blueg/rays and unbleached white/browns, if it were Me, I'd use the grays and tans to mark your lines and white inbetween and work up from that.adding darks and lights where needed. I usualy do a thin like watercolor layer all over in a base of the approx colors to hold the pencil lines, including lights and darks.
anxious to see your updates.

indigorose2
02-05-2010, 06:22 PM
i REALLY LIKE THE REFERENCE SHOT BUT FOR A BEGINNER IT LOOKS A TAD COMPLICATED. i WILL KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR PROGRESS.:)

*grin* Well, I'm a beginner in painting but not in art. It's just time to learn a new medium and how to control it. The eye is already relatively good. (I hope. ;) )

The hard part for me seems to be learning to mix relatively consistent colors.

cjorgensen
02-24-2010, 03:01 AM
I do oils, but I don't know anything about acrylics. So I will give an "oil" answer.

For me, oils go down opaque, but dry translucent. So for ME, I put put pales yellows and pale blues where the whites go, and then when it is dry, I put the bright white highlights on top, very thinly. That why the whites are not just glaring, but the sparkles. The yellow or blue underneath also gives the white some body.

In your reference photo, I don't see a lot of white. I see pale colors reflecting into the areas that are painted white on the building. But I think if you held up a white piece of paper to it, those parts would not be white.

mtibo
02-24-2010, 07:17 AM
may I ask why you want to keep your pencil lines showing in your painting? Is it to create the effect of shadow or part of the style you want to paint.

Zinc is translucent and titanium opaque, when mixing zinc to colors they will retain some of the luminosity when titanium will dull it. I prefer to find the midtone of the element I want to paint and then work from that, I would not start with pure white but we all have different approach to painting.

cjorgensen
02-25-2010, 09:05 AM
About the pencil lines: A line is really where the two colors or values meet. If I were doing it, I would mix up some different values of the warm beige of the beams and lay them all in. Think: which band of color is lighter/darker? Wamer/cooler? Brighter/duller?

Once you get these all in, you won't have to worry about the pencil lines. Then go back to each section and say, "how is one end of this color different from the other end?" . . . and paint in the variations. :)