PDA

View Full Version : At The Library

van
02-03-2010, 12:19 AM
Illuminated by lamplight deep within the recesses of the city library, our woman of the hour indulges her passion for Soviet avant garde literature (in this case I believe it's Nikolay Zabolotsky).

8x11 oil on board
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2010/11597-At_The_Library.jpg

avani
02-03-2010, 01:15 AM
Van, you have a fan here. :)
I love the way you weave a story into your work... So much more interesting. It actually makes everyone search deeper into the painting for more clues to unravel the story!:clap:

anthony mauve
02-03-2010, 05:24 AM
A very nice but curiously antique piece. Your work is linked to Braque but is missing his explorations of space though in places you have some elements moving back.

I like these pieces but think you might be well served to study the Cubists' work to understand what they were doing and why in the hope of moving beyond them inventing a new style along the way--Neo-Cubist?

Tom Perry
02-03-2010, 09:27 AM
Count me in as another fan Van. :)

I always look forward to seeing your work in this style. This is a delightful piece. I don't think it would look as good on any other surface. It sings!

RandyC
02-03-2010, 09:44 AM
Another cool piece Van. The only thing I can say is the circle on the top right is a little distracting. I kind of draws your eye up there. It's a little too solid and bright.

aprilart
02-03-2010, 11:11 AM
I really like this one! The colors grab my attention. :)

van
02-03-2010, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the comments, everybody. I truly appreciate it.

Anthony - I'm a big Braque fan, and I only wish I had his grasp of spatial analysis. I'm working on it!

Randy - I agree about the lamp... it is a little detached from the composition, so I think toning it down or darkening the lower left corner would work to balance the picture.