PDA

View Full Version : Question about paper

gdlantz
02-02-2010, 06:59 PM
Does anyone know what kind of paper you can use with soft pastel and airbrushing onto the same paper? I paint with soft pastels on all my paintings, but I am wanting to use my airbrush to achieve some special effects, but I am not sure what kind of paper one would use to put both pastel and airbrushing on.

Ginger Lantz

saramathewson
02-02-2010, 08:10 PM
I would think that Wallis, Uart, Art spectrum colorfix and colorfix supertooth would all work with airbrushing and pastels. these are sanded papers with a good amount of tooth for the pastels but can also take wet paint and water and solvents like alcohol or turps or OMS.

Sara

gdlantz
02-03-2010, 11:24 AM
Sara,
Thank you for your help, I will run to the art store this week and get a few of these papers to try out. I usually us velour paper for my pastel work, so I am excited to give these a try.
Thanks
Ginger
www.artdabblers.com

Ruthie57
02-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Also Clairefontaine pastelmat will take wet and dry.

Donna A
02-04-2010, 01:40 AM
Hi, Ginger. Sara and Ruthie both have great suggestions. The Pastelmat has a much finer texture, so that may be the most interesting to you. I have not tried water on the Pastelmat, so your plan to do tests is a great idea! Colourfix SuperTooth has a much more definite, strong texture, so it might be a greater texture than would work for you. But "regular" Colourfix should work great, though you might want to sand it down slightly with a fairly find sandpaper. I usually use a 220 to sand down Colourfix when I want an even finer texture. You can't sand down the Wallis and not sure about the Uart. But between those papers, you should find just what you need. Very good luck! Sounds like a very interesting mix of mediums! Donna ;-}

gdlantz
02-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Thanks everyone for the tips, I will give these papers a try this next week and let you know how it goes. Thanks again

Ginger
www.artdabblers.com

Colorix
02-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Pastelmat is great with watercolour and dries flat if stretched, but beware it needs some extra drying time, and clamping it while wet leaves indentations (or am I the only one stupid enough to clamp wet paper...?)

Charlie