PDA

View Full Version : Neat Edge--X-post on Studio Tips

Louise the Reader
02-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Don't know if I'm the only one with this problem. I new to acrylics and love to paint on gallery wrap canvases. I like to paint the sides a solid color, usually black if that works well with the painting. My problem is that I have trouble getting a nice even line around the edge. I end up having to go back and try to even it out (fix it) on the top. Ends up a mess sometimes. Don't know if I'm explaining this well. Does anybody have a good way to do this? Thanks.

lilbelle
02-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Louise, I use a 1 in. flat brush and use the flat side, not the tip and brush it up to the edge on the wrapped side. It works really well for a nice even edge.

idylbrush
02-01-2010, 07:00 PM
try something like this, just be sure to not overload it with paint. I, myself, like to paint edges on canvases, generally black, but, have been known to paint them red at times.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Feb-2010/36241-edgertool.jpg

OkeeKat
02-01-2010, 10:40 PM
sorry I paint my painting around the edges to continue it.. never have painted them solid black or red. but many do have interesting effects.
good suggestion Howard. thanks, will remember that tip.

LavenderFrost
02-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Paint the edge first, then tape it with painter's tape. Then brush along the edge with clear glaze to keep any paint from seeping under. Then paint away. You might just have to fix a tiny bit in the end.

purplepansey
02-02-2010, 01:23 PM
try something like this, just be sure to not overload it with paint. I, myself, like to paint edges on canvases, generally black, but, have been known to paint them red at times.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Feb-2010/36241-edgertool.jpg

Idylbrush, I have one of those and can't recall where I bought it and can't seem to find it anymore, where did you get it and what is it called so I can find it again.

Lady Carol
02-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Idylbrush, I have one of those and can't recall where I bought it and can't seem to find it anymore, where did you get it and what is it called so I can find it again.
Howard has it as you can see. Ask him to mail it back to you :wink2:

idylbrush
02-02-2010, 05:04 PM
You are something else Carol.

It is either a trim pad or touch up pad and I get them at hardware stores (paint department), home stores (paint department) or paint stores. I get the ones with replaceable pads.

Lady Carol
02-02-2010, 06:03 PM
You are something else Carol.
I hope that was a compliment :)

mightyatom
02-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Hi Louise.

Like Okeekat, I also continue my painting around the edges of the canvas.
And I've never been completely happy with the finish.
However, recently I came up with an idea which (if you don't mind me saying so) I thought was rather ...:cool: !

I take the edge of a flat paintbrush, say 1 inch minimum - depending on how confident I feel.
Coat the brush with a neutral, light colour (white or titanium buff).
I then wipe off excess paint so there are no drips or blobs.
Then I just drag or pat the flat of the brush all the way round the painted corner.
When dry, I do it again if needed til I like what I see.

I think it looks really good - a bit like how denim would wear around pocket and hem seams.
A very subtle touch which doesn't deflect from the painting. I suppose any colour could be used, but I feel it would have to be lighter than the main colours in the art.
Using opaques - especially white - seems to work really well for me anyway.
For example, if you painted the sides of your canvas black, you could use a light grey 'edge' or you could pick the main colour (or any colour) from your art and add it to white. Like, if you had a lot of sky, you could use the sky blue plus white to go round the canvas.

On their own, White or Titanium Buff highlight the canvas edge, or lighten your chosen colour. Their opaqueness gives good coverage as well (I use acrylics by the way)

If you really wanted to be adventurous, why not bright red or purple?
It is only a thin line after all, but experiment first! It all depends on the art you are finishing I think.

Cheers!

purplepansey
02-03-2010, 08:41 AM
Thanks Carol and Howard.