PDA

View Full Version : The "Goal Post" for February 2010

Dougwas
02-01-2010, 01:42 PM
Hello Artists

Welcome to the Goal Post. This is the place you can post your art related goals and share them with other artists. Encourage others to reach their goals and get encouragement from others to obtain your goals.

If you have ever wanted to set goals, come and join the regulars. You will be surprised how effective goal setting is. Goals give you a target to aim for, a road map to success. Once you post those goals, you have committed to them. They will become a reality.

So, if you have been lurking out there, now is the time to get started in goal setting. Please join us.

Doug

robertsloan2
02-01-2010, 02:25 PM
It's time to set February goals... this month I'm a little undecided on them. Feeling pretty wiped out, probably on account of weather. So I don't want to get too ambitious here.

This is likely to be one of the worst months of the year for weather knocking me over. Plus, I've had computer problems lately with my netbook that could be, worst case, beginning of the end and throw me offline for a while if I need to replace it in an emergency. Hopefully not.

Kitten's going to look at it tonight and try to fix it. She's good at geek stuff and may well succeed in knocking it into shape to last till March... but without knowing where I stand on that, some goals might have to wait.

So I'm going to keep it simple.

Sketches and Studies. This month I want to do more sketching and more simple studies of trees, fruit, whatever takes my fancy. I might try some difficult subjects or I might concentrate in my comfort zone on things I'm already familiar with like fruit from life.

I'm going to try for doing it at least weekly even if the weather really gets nasty and I'll date them in case I have to wait for a replacement machine to upload them.

I think that's enough for this month. I'd like to keep it very low key and see how much I can do when I'm not trying to push hard. But I've managed sketches even on very bad days and I know doing studies always helps me when I go back to doing serious paintings.

Judibelle
02-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Sounds very wise, Robert....hope Kitten can figure out what's wrong with your computer and fix it for you. I like your idea of Sketches and Studies. Keeping it simple is sometimes the best way! Anyway, wishing you well, and certainly wishing you good health for this month...

I have to think a bit about my goals this month..dont want to get too ambitious, either. Keeping it comfortable this month....is my primary goal, I guess.
Judi

terri66
02-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Robert, studies and sketches are good for keeping your skills polished and a great goal since you anticipate being under the weather.
Judi, nothing wrong with being comfortable with things. There is no WC law that says you MUST do it all. I'm learning that about parenting too. LOL

I have a couple must do things:
1)Finish a portrait commission by the 6th. Actually it's a valentine's gift but I'm going skiing the week before. Yahoo, kids first mountain experience.
2) If I finish the portrait in a timely manner, try to sneak in another 11 x14 hockey still life.
3) Volunteer at the art show for 6 hours on Saturday for the Alberta Winter Games.
4) Start a commission for EMS.
5) Do the new challenge that Don is hosting, referencing painting formats.
6) Keep following 30 in 30 of Paula Ford's as well as checking out and commenting on others' work.
1, 3 and 4 are must do these, the rest are icing on the cake.
I have only 12 working days as the kids are only in school 12 days this month. What is up with that?

Dougwas
02-02-2010, 12:23 AM
Robert- Good luck with your computer problems. I know it's a pain. I felt lost when my laptop wasn't working. You are off to a great start with your peach study. Keep at it and do what you can. Hang in there. Spring is around the corner.

Judi- You take as much time as you need. Join us when ever you can, even if you don't make any goals this month.

Terri- You really have a short month. And a very busy month. I love your hockey still lifes and can't wait to see your next one. The Spotlight looks like it will be a neat thread. I guess we'll see each other there.

Well, I am actually going to post some goals this month. What a novel idea.:rolleyes:

I am being adventurous this month and stepping out of my still life comfort zone. I am not saying I won't do some still lifes, but I want to paint landscapes. Again.

So, my goals for February 2010 are:

1) I will participate in the Landscape Challenge and paint two paintings from the challenge.

2) I will participate in the Spotlight and paint two paintings from Don's photos.

3) I will do one coloured pencil painting and post it in the Colored Pencil Studio.

4) I will look into starting a blog.

Okay, that should keep me out of trouble.

Doug

Colorix
02-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Doug, great goals, and they won't keep you out of trouble... :-)

Robert, best of luck with the computer, we can't have the world cut off from you.

Judi, take your time to decide. And keeping it simple is a good goal.

Terri, only 12 days? Great goals to make the most of them, you'll need that.

Charlie's Goals for February

1) I will Decide a date for my exhibition (Late March, beginning April, possibly over Easter), *and* define all tasks relating to that, *and* writing a time-table for when the different parts *must* be done. And then of course start ticking of tasks, when done with them.

2) I will Study Monet more. Possibly buy a hideously expensive book, otherwise using mind and eyes.

3) I will take part in the Spotlight.

4) I will take pictures, write, and send out a newsletter.

5) I will finish the two unfinished paintings I started last month.

6) I will paint a couple more, one is to be a winter landscape.

7) I will also *relax* completely, now and then, and keep up either reading a bit or watching something dumb on the tv, to relax in the evening, so I'm not up most of the night. (hooo-hooo, said night-owl Charlie)

8) I will print out these goals and tape them to the bathroom wall, or mirror. So I get reminded several times a day.

Charlie

Lisa Fiore
02-02-2010, 12:59 PM
Hi! My goals for February are fairly simple, but if I accomplish them, I'll be happy!!

1. I will spend some portion of every day either painting or sketching. I will find the time to do this by spending less time on the computer!!! :D

2. I will finish the painting I just started, and begin another before the month is over.

Ok, leaving the internet to go paint!! :wave: Hope everyone is having a great day!!

chewie
02-02-2010, 01:06 PM
first time posting on this sort of thread. mine are kinda simple, but really needed...

1) make a postcard to send out to past clients advising them of my new address and phone number.

2) complete 2-4 paintings this month, nothing real large, but at least completed work to take to the galleries i've ignored for the whole year while building our house.

3) get a bit more of my studio organized. this one is a huge task, as all i owned was stored for over 9 months, and now to find it, and find a way to store it, etc., ugh. this is not a strongsuit for me in the first place. trying to only give myself a short period of time each week, so i dont' get so frustrated i run screaming into the snowdrifts!

chuas2
02-02-2010, 01:58 PM
Goals, ugh.
Robert, studies and sketches, yes. I'm adding that to my goal list. Try to do a few of these a week.

Judi, as always, I like your goals (or lack thereof) the best. I'm not feeling horribly ambitious this month either....

Doug, I now look at your goals with some trepidation since you inadvertently led the pastel cleaning craze...

Charlie, with all due respect to Monet, a book I highly recommend spending a lot of money on is "Bonnard at Le Cannet." This is one of the most inspirational books I've ever seen. Not pastels, but oils that could very well be pastel. Beautiful, shimmering color like your paintings. Have a look!

Ah, big one. Try to be more patient with myself. ARGH! I'll never get that one. A LOT of pictures going in the trash lately, pastels flung across the room. And pouting. Very good at that.
Chuas

Dougwas
02-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Chuas- I know how you feel. I have been trying to paint trees for three years and I haven't had much success, until I did Paula's demo. She breaks it down to 20 steps, so it is easy to follow. Here is the link to her 30 in 30 thread. The demo starts at post #171. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601746

Doug

robertsloan2
02-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Thanks for everyone's comments and sympathy about my computer. Kitten did sort it out, tried everything she knew and found out what the problem is. It's the CPU. Which could be replaced for about $180 and then go nuts trying to put it in at risk of breaking the machine, or, replace the machine with another just like it for $249 and know it won't last a year.

Happily she just got her tax return so she's offered to lend me enough to replace it with a real laptop and pay her back in March. So no new art supplies till April, but I'm getting a real upgrade to a very good refurbished laptop as much better than this as the one it replaced was beyond the one it replaced -- a really good one for doing videos and graphics and photography too.

I might even get a better camera this summer with a real tripod and see if I can start doing good photos of my art.

Chuas, yes, there's a reason I chose studies and sketches. I know that I wind up improving a lot when I focus on doing those. It winds up making my serious paintings a lot better as soon as I get back to them. I can try things in little studies that I wouldn't want to invest a whole large painting into and still come out with something nice that looks all right framed sometimes. The block studies I did in Charlie's class were so cool that Kitten won't let me bury them, they get framed and hung when I get some more frames.

Chewie, welcome to the Goalies! You have some great goals there. It helps a lot to organize your studio because what happens is you'll turn up cool things you either didn't know you had or couldn't get to for a long time... that always winds up inspiring. Of course it's inspiring to create a new mess, but still, that can really be inspiring!

Elizabeth, simple awesome goals! Go for it!

Charlie, you're another night owl? That rocks, though it usually demands having really good studio lighting to do any art. Awesome goals. You look so busy this month, all stacked up doing so much. Monet rocks. I can just imagine what'll come of your studying Monet, this is going to be beautiful. Good luck on relaxing. Maybe doing a Monet copy will count as relaxing? Good luck on all your goals, you seem so organized this month!

Doug, fantastic goals. Blogging gets to be fun once you try it. Blogger's a good platform for it, though I tend to update my livejournal more the Blogger blog does get some cool things now and then. It's not hard to use anyway and it's free, which is a definite plus.

Terri, looks like you have a massively busy February ahead. Good luck on all of that, it's impressive.

Judi, brilliant idea. Keeping it comfortable opens the door for cool things you think of on the spur of the moment too. Last month I hadn't planned on getting around to doing the videos, but I did it and still feel good about it even if it overworked my netbook.

Dougwas
02-02-2010, 06:22 PM
Charlie- You will feel better when you get those two paintings finished. If you are doing another landscape, Paula is hosting the Landscape Challenge this month and she has some very nice photos. One is a snow scene.

I am looking forward to your Monet article. Im am sure it will be very colourful.:lol: (Sorry. Couldn't help myself.) Good luck with the newsletter.

Lisa- Sketching or painting every day is and excellent goal. The more you do something, the more it becomes a habit. The best way to improve is to draw or paint whenever you can. Good luck.

Chewie- Hello. It is nice to see you back at WC. I hope everything went well with building the house. I know it can be a highly stressful event, but well worth it in the end. Good luck in finding all of your art supplies. I think organizing a studio/ work area, and keeping it that way is very chellenging to all of us. Good idea to make a postcard and send it out to let everybody know you are up and running. I hope you have a great month.

Robert- No new at supplies until April?:eek: You can do it! It's funny how we are now lost without our laptops. I think it was four years ago, when my wife told me I needed a laptop. I still remember telling her I wouldn't use it.:lol: Oh what a fool I was. I hope everything goes well for you. It sounds like you have a very loving and understanding daughter.

Doug

ElsieH
02-02-2010, 07:15 PM
:wave: Hi there, February Goalies!
I'd better sneak in here quickly with my goals! Looks like you folks are really off and running for a great month!

I have to make this fast, as I'm about to leave for orchestra rehearsal this evening. I'll be back with more comments and cheers for everyone another day! :clap: :thumbsup:

As usual, I can't just think in terms of pastels, but need to balance all the art areas I'm juggling! :lol:

February 2010 (Oh, I love typing 2010! The old math teacher emerges! :p )
Art Goals:
1. Cintinue Sandi Angelo drawing lessons: This is my fifth month of them and my drawing has really grown in accuracy etc. after I swollowed my pride about starting from the beginning! :p
2. Continue Alyona Nickelson Colored Pencil studies.
3. Finish labeling Colored Pencils. These old eyes just can't read that fine print on the pencils! :eek: Yippee! Did this one today!
4. Choose and complete 3 pastel paintings from photos I've taken.
5. Organize Colored Pencil storage.
6. Decide on which size Pan Pastel trays and order them.
7. Try out Stonehenge drawing paper for CP's.
8. Compete CP color chips.
9. Continue Sarback/Hensche block studies and do some still life setups in pastels.
10. Continue to schedule regular studio time. This was a biggie last month even though it was not stated. I find when I have regular chunks of time, I get more done and the world thinks twice about interupting me! :p
11. Experiment with the colored ground versions of PastelMat. I've tried the white on one.

Ok!
Now,I'll see if I can upload a photo of my lastest pastel painting on white PastelMat. I loved working on it. I could just keep putting more pastel on and the colors just seemed to look great on it!

Bummers! The button that allows one to upload an image is not working!
Oh, well, I'll try that again tomorrow.

robertsloan2
02-03-2010, 10:59 AM
LOL Doug, yeah, that's really the tough part! But I can do it. At least this comes at a time when I'm well stocked up and can focus on something else.

Elsie, wow! You have a lot of goals! Congratulations on labeling all your colored pencils. I run into that too, sometimes it's very hard to read the printed color name when the value's about the same as the enamel on them. I've had to put pencils under my magnifier to see what they are.

I keep typing 2009 sometimes when putting my journal files in the folder, half of January's entries are 2009 instead of 2010. There goes the old flunked-math-too-many-times number dyslexic...

Dougwas
02-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Elsie- One down, ten to go. You have some very good goals. I see many paintings in your near future. Good to see you could swollow your pride and start from the beginning of your drawing lessons. That is not always easy to do. Good luck with your goals. I look forward to seeing your paintings.

Doug

ElsieH
02-03-2010, 01:38 PM
:wave:

Hi, there, Goalies!

Robert: No such thing as a Math Failure...just a have not had success yet! LOL! Ya' gotta love it!
Oh, I hear you with the magnifiying glass...I have one stashed everywhere it sit or work! Why are they making the print so much smaller there days! They didn't used to! :eek: :wink2:

Ok, let's see if I can master this attach a photo button today!

If I'm successful, it ought to be:
"The Glacier's Gifts to the Prairie"
Pastel on PastelMat

ElsieH
02-03-2010, 01:46 PM
:wave: I did it! I did it! I did it!

Oh, the joy of making a computer do what you want!
I get very frustrated when I try to click a button and it doesn't work!
Oh, yes, The Drama Queen had to make her appearance, too! :clap: :lol: :p

Let's see if I can do this twice:
When I was taking the photo of the painting, I also took a couple of the pastel palette area.

Dougwas
02-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Elsie- What a beautiful painting!:thumbsup: I love the colours in the rocks and the colourful grass just tops it off.(:lol: pun intended) Well done, Elsie. Did I miss something. I don't think I saw this in the Gallery. If it's not there, it should be.

Nice work area. Lots of pastels. Is that a full set of FC polychromos? I use mine all the time. Good start of the month. Way to go.

Doug

Dougwas
02-03-2010, 05:52 PM
Chuas- I tried to post this yesterday, but I couldn't post it. As I said before, I am landscape challenged and couldn't paint a tree until I did Paula's demo. Here is what I did.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Feb-2010/102199-s_Demo_Feb_01.jpg

I just followed her steps one at a time. Just take your time and you will be amazed what you can do. Good luck.

Doug

chuas2
02-03-2010, 06:14 PM
"take your time" "be patient" ? nooooo! I want to do it noowww! :o

Yeah, I hear you and that's a fantastic tree(s), and I did look at Paula's step by step and will try it since you got such great results. Don did a terrific step by step for water for me in the spotlight thread. I'd recommend anyone water challenged to have a look at it.

ElsieH
02-04-2010, 02:51 PM

Doug: Groan.....very punny!
Great trees! Landscape challenged....you are meeting the challenge!:clap: :thumbsup:
Ok, ok, I'll put my rocks in the gallery! :p

Think I'll try Paula's demo!:cat: If Doug paints one, if I paints one, if Chuas paints one.....Tree's company!:wink2: :lol:

Colorix
02-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Elsie, gorjus, but I'll comment in Studio. Speaking of, yours look fab!

Doug, lovely trees!

Chuas, following a demo and painting it step by step is a *great* way to learn, as you get it in your 'bones', so to speak. I did one of Paula's earlier demos, and it saved me!

Tree's company... [groan...] Elsie!

Charlie

chuas2
02-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Ah, I see how the goal posts work. First it was stick cleaning. By the end of this month everyone who checks into the thread will know how to paint trees. Ok Elsie, I'm a paintin'!!!

terri66
02-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Nicely done Doug and Elsie on the paintings. Are you left handed Elsie?
Good news on the computer front, Robert. I am sure you will definitely get your use of the new one.
I just kissed one goal to the scrap heap as it took 4 attempts to get the portrait the way I wanted. (Didn't complete another hockey still life) The good news is that pastelmat can be washed off to a certain extent. If you have rubbed in the pastel, it's there for good but at least I had my original drawing for a retry. The portrait is complete though. I must say I dislike doing portraits from flash photos, it makes it really hard to model some form with a lack of shadows. Perhaps a hockey still life later in the month after a landscape attempt in the spotlight.
I'll respond to a few more entries later, I'm back to running mom mode. Take care, all!

Mary Y
02-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Just looking in to say Hi and I hope to post some goals before the 28th .

Elsie, I love your rocks,and I love seeing your studio.Lovely and neat.Thats a good place for Deborah's Rules.

Doug,Great trees .I have read Paula's demo and hope to try it out.

Robert, Glad to hear you have a plan to keep connected.I would hate not to be able to look at this site.

Hi, Charlie,Chuas ,Terri, Judi,Lisa and Chewie. Good luck with the goals (Those who have made them so far)
Mary

ElsieH
02-05-2010, 12:24 AM

Thanks for the comments on the painting and one the pastel area of the studio.

Terri: Nope! I'm righthanded. From the studio picture, it does look like I have it set up for a leftie. But, that was the only place the big shelf for the pastels could go. I toyed with putting the easel at the other end. But, it just got in the way of the cabinet and the use of the watercolor area that is there. Actually, it works out really well. I grab with the left and paint with the right! :p :cat:

Also, Terri: Hmmm! You can wash off Pastel mat? I knew you could do that with Wallis. At the rate I turn out "stinkers" I can try to salvage some! :thumbsup:
Someone said, "You have to make a lot of bad art before you can make good art." Well, I'm due for some good art, really soon: my quota of bad is really been used! :lol: :wink2:

terri66
02-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Elsie, there is still going to be a ghost but the paper takes so much pastel that you could eliminate it. Not perfectly clean but good enough to work on. I used the sprayer at the kitchen sink on the surface only, didn't immerse it, let it dry. It was only an 10 x 12 piece so it curled minimally but didn't warp if that makes sense. The places that didn't clean off I had rubbed in pretty hard.

ElsieH
02-05-2010, 12:49 PM

Thanks, Terri! Since good pastel paper is $$$$, I may need to use this idea! Also, just knowing that, I can feel less fear in using a sheet of it! :p

Deborah Secor has two great ideas, also, for dealing with parts of a painting that you need to do over before you finish or go further: She uses a little sponge paintbrush to flick off a large amount of pastel in an area. Also, if she needs to get back down to the original surface, she recommends using one of those white plastic-type erasers. Both these have been helpful!
One of her two videos for ArtistNetwor.tv (now both on DVD's, too.). she shows these techniques.

Have a great Dusty day!

Dougwas
02-05-2010, 08:43 PM
Ah, I see how the goal posts work. First it was stick cleaning. By the end of this month everyone who checks into the thread will know how to paint trees. Ok Elsie, I'm a paintin'!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just wanted to let everybody know that Paula is hosting the Landscape Challenge over in the Landscape channel. Here's the link. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605737

Doug

Dougwas
02-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Hi, Mary. You are more than welcome to post your goals whenever you want. You can pop in here any time you like. Maybe some goal setting will rub off on you.;)

I have started another landscape for the monthly challenge. The first one wasn't turning out too well, so I scrapped it. I was rushing and I know I get into trouble when I rush.:mad: I tried an alcohol under painting (rubbing alcohol this time, not vodka :lol: ) so we will see if it works this time.

I hope you are all hitting your goals.

Doug

Colorix
02-06-2010, 05:39 AM
Tick. One of the two unfinished paintings is now finished. Took about 45 minutes, or less.

Charlie

Dougwas
02-06-2010, 12:50 PM
Way to go, Charlie!

Doug

Colorix
02-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Thank you, Doug! Tomorrow, or monday, I may post it, right now, I'm waiting for some fixative to dry on the underpainting of a Spotlight painting -- so this is just a short visit, and now it's back to the studio!

Charlie

robertsloan2
02-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Wow! Everyone's doing so great so far. Elsie, your painting is incredible. I love those rocks, they're so colorful and so true. Thanks for showing a photo of your working area. It looks so clean and bright and cheerful, I know one sight of that would inspire me to get down and do beautiful paintings. Which you just did. I think you're well past the bad ones, that Glacier's Gift is spot on perfect.

Doug, your trees are awesome. The foreground reminds me a little of Scottyarthur's paintings too, very striking. Beautiful trees.

Yay for finished paintings, tree studies and goals. Yesterday we ordered my computer and Tiger Direct usually delivers fast. Due to an unexpected doctor's appointment yesterday I'm racked up and not doing anything today. I had to overexert by necessity and blew my back bad.

Of course by coincidence this is the first time I've had live flowers in person to look at and I've still got three good pears lined up for a still life. I got photos of both but the photos really don't do justice to them, so I hope that I can do some studies tomorrow of both the tulips and the pears. I wasn't up to anything else but I have been staring at them a lot trying to memorize shapes, color transitions, details, the really neat bent leaf and the way they look at exactly this stage half blown.

Dougwas
02-06-2010, 11:23 PM
Hey, Robert. I hope you get back into action soon. Take it easy and don't do things that you shouldn't be doing. I know it is easier said than done. Maybe when your laptop arrives you will be up to painting. Good luck with everything.

Thanks to everyone for the comments on my trees. It's framed and I keep looking at it and can't believe I did it. It was a step by step demo, but it was a shock to me to see it turned out the way it did. I worked on my Landscape Challenge painting today. I hope it will be finished by tomorrow. We will see if my body cooperates with my mind.

Doug

Colorix
02-07-2010, 06:20 AM
Rob, take care of your back. And know that tulips will fight being painted, they *move*, as they are the only flowers that grow in a vase.

Doug, I know that feeling, it is really important to do that kind of discovery, as now you'll trust the process more, and will experiment.

Charlie

Lisa Fiore
02-07-2010, 09:14 AM
Hi! Just popping in to say that so far I've been keeping my goal of finding time for painting/sketching every day. The past 2 days (and later today) I've been taking a drawing workshop with pastel portrait artist Andy Kenyon--you may remember him--I think he goes by "AMCstudios" here and he has shared some of his gorgeous portraits as well as told us about a pastel "canvas" he likes to use. Anyway, it's been fantastic--I have relearned things about sight measuring that I long ago had forgotten, and it's been awesome to be able to devote so many hours a day to working on art!! Andy is a great teacher and it's been fun to draw in the company of other artists--I'm going to miss this!

I hope everyone has a great week and does well on your goals. Doug, I love your tree painting!! :)

Dougwas
02-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Hi Lisa

I think I remember seeing some of Andy's portraits. He specializes in portraits of children if remember correctly. Beautiful paintings. It is hard to paint children, with there smooth skin, but he captures that innocence that only a child has. Enjoy the rest of your workshop and thanks for the comment on my trees.

Doug

ElsieH
02-07-2010, 01:53 PM
:wave: Hi, There Goalies!

Happy Spring....ok, not quite yet, but I can dream! We do have lovely sunshine here in Wisconsin, USA today.

Robert: Made my day! Glad you liked the rocks! Yes, it does help to paint in a well-lighterd place! Thanks to Doug and to Donna Aldridge for encouraging me to go all out for lights. Donna "turned me on" to full spectrum bulbs and I'm so glad for them. At first, in my old studio, I had just on little full spec. bulb in a lamp...it is still beside my easel for close up, but getting the ceiling fixtures was a huge help. Also, getting the white walls helped make the whole room lighter.
Oh, Robert, do take care and hope the back is feeling better.:cat:
Tulips! Nothing cheers one up for spring like tulips! I can't wait to see you painting!

Charlie: Glad to hear about the finished painting! Go gal! :thumbsup:

Doug: Isn't it a great boost to have a painting sing! Nice gentle feeling in those trees!:thumbsup:

LIsa: The workshop sounds to great! OOO. What is the Pastel canvas he likes? Love to know about that! :)

Have a great week!

Colorix
02-07-2010, 03:52 PM
Chuas, I finally got back to your recommendation about Pierre Bonnard. What (except colour) attracts you to his paintings, and especially the book? (no reviews at amazon...)

Charlie

robertsloan2
02-07-2010, 03:57 PM
Doug, those trees are fantastic. You need to start using the past tense as in "I used to be tree-challenged." You are definitely no longer tree-challenged! We should both do cool trees for Scotty's thread for a while just to sink in the good things we learned. I should actually try the Colourist method on trees again instead of just round things you can eat. But first the ephemeral tulips.

Charlie, you are absolutely right. They move around as much as my cat does almost! They change direction! The ones that were leaning off the other way when the vase was set up bowed over to the left and now today are leaning over again to the right but not as far. I got lots of photos at different stages but the photos are pathetic compared to what I could record in a good thorough study of them -- or series of them focusing on one or two flowers each. I'm going to have a go at it later today.

Lisa, the workshop sounds like it was wonderful. Back in Kansas I had a friend who came over on Thursdays to paint and we both did so much more because she'd come over on Thursdays. I miss her, the one down side to being in Arkansas is that she lives too far away to do that any more.

So cool that you had a good teacher too. Some artists are fantastic teachers (Charlie, scottyarthur, Paula Ford and Deborah Secor come to mind) as well as brilliant artists. Though if he paints children and shows their innocence, I wonder what he does when he winds up with a too-clever not particularly innocent little boy like I was, the sort that's a rebellious sophomoric angry young man before he gets armpit hair. I'd guess he'd actually show that in all its pretensions (shudder).

Elsie, those rocks are fantastic. Just mentioning them brings the painting vividly to mind in all its glory -- you really have something wonderful in the one on the right, it's just too cool. You're absolutely right about good lighting. It made such a difference when I got my Daylight lamp that I'm thinking of getting a second one.

Thanks for all the support about my back. It spasms for a couple of days after overexertion and up to a week, but today it went down enough that I could get in some painting. I did the pears because they'd been on my table longer, they came out pretty well. I posted them in the Sketch Thread. So today I've got progress on Sketches and Studies.

Drapery and Three Pears is a study good enough that I think I could paint from it long after I've eaten those pears. I got tons of photos but all of them had the highlights washing out to pure white for a harsher look than reality. The painting doesn't and I got very true to shape and shadows and hue and everything in it, very happy with it as a study.

C&C much appreciated though, especially from Charlie since I used the colorist method. I actually scanned it at stages instead of doing all three later stages at the same time like I have a bad habit of doing. So if I goofed on any of the stages and either mislabeled it or fixed the goof later, please tell me that too even if it came out fine in the end. I'm really working at memorizing the method and getting so used to it that I don't get shocked at how the early or ugly stages look.

Colorix
02-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Tulips twist like snakes! I'll have a look at pears.

Charlie

robertsloan2
02-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Ooh purr, thank you! Yes. You are absolutely right. Tulips twist like snakes and fidget like small children or restless cats. They've been dancing all day but I did a sketch of three of them, just focused on the flowers in detail to get their shapes, proximate color and values right.

Nowhere near as vibrant as the pears though. lol

I might do them again tomorrow if they're still looking like tulips and haven't completely blown. I hope they do, it'd rock if they do. I might try again later tonight by lamplight too, that's a possibility.

Sketches and studies. I think that this month I'll probably improve a lot just by focusing on those, the pears came out a happy surprise!

ElsieH
02-09-2010, 06:48 PM

Hello, Goalies!
Spring? What spring! Snowing hard in Wisconsin right now, wind is picking up and it does not look like a night to go out! But, so far, my orchestra rehearsal is not called off! :eek: Wisconsites are harty souls! Bob is out "snow-blowing" the drive and the plow has been by on the road, but you'd never know it. I'm still hoping some sense will dawn on the conductor and we can stay home. Just picture it: Old gal with cane, boots, parka, hat, muffler, wool gloves, making her way from parking ramp to orchestra rehearsal building in a blizzard with violin and music bag....I don't think so!:eek: Bob, the dear sweet fellow will drive me in if I go!:heart: :heart: :heart:

But, on the art goals! Focus, Elsie!:cat:
When I should be drawing tulips like sensible Robert, I'm into a painting based on a rainstorm from photos taken last spring on a trip to Eau Claire, Wisconsin. We were driving along and the sky turned amazingly dark blue, purples and red-violet with clouds and a storm approaching. Since I was not driving:p , I had the luxury of taking photo after photo out the window of the car, while sweet Bob did the dirty work of getting us safely there.:p :heart:
I had sort of forgotten those photos until a few weeks ago, I was going through old photos in my files on my computer and came upon these. Wow! I have to do something with these. I could not believe my eyes at the colors, until I zoomed into the pixel level and proved they really were there.
This will be a challenge to see how it comes out. Sketches are what I'm working on now and trying out colors etc.
So:
I'm painting.
I'm regularly in the studio.
I'm working in pastels....storm painting,
working in graphite...dog drawing in my Sandi Angelo lessons
I'm working my way through Alyona Nickelsen's colored pencil book.
Fun, fun, fun! Who needs to go out in the snow when you can stay home and paint! :wink2:

Colorix
02-09-2010, 07:05 PM
Elsie, even if the conductor isn't sensible, you can be. Great goal-keeping!

And I have a 'tick'! The Spotlight painting is done!

Sunday was really sunny, so I got a too cute winter photo with a cottage, nestled at the feet of huge naked trees. I will attempt it, though I tremble at the masses of branches and twigs. How to paint *that*?

Charlie

chuas2
02-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Chuas, I finally got back to your recommendation about Pierre Bonnard. What (except colour) attracts you to his paintings, and especially the book? (no reviews at amazon...)

Charlie
Well, primarily the color, the design, seemingly simple composition..here's a couple samples from the book, and you'll see why it screamed "Take me to Charlie!"
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2010/208492-image_bonnard1.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2010/208492-image_bonnard2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2010/208492-image_bonnard3.jpg

robertsloan2
02-09-2010, 10:55 PM
Elsie, you could always phone in stuck if the snow's that heavy. Love the idea of the storm painting, it sounds wonderful! I found some happy surprises in my files too when I moved them, they're tempting me away from the still life objects I've got in hand -- but the tulips are almost blown and one of the pears is about to go, so I've gotten pretty much all I can out of them for this round. I will get more flowers and fruit.

Today I've spent mostly online and/or doing setup in my new computer, which is a joy and every bit as cool as I thought it would be from reading the specs. I had forgotten what a big difference a big screen makes.

Charlie, congratulations on the Spotlight painting! I love it, even if the photo did distort it a bit. Looking forward to what you do with this photo.

Chuas, wow, I can see why these paintings made you think of Charlie's work. They're so bold, bright and textured.

I think sketches and studies from rediscovered photos and from challenges will count too this month -- all the references for everything look better on this screen too, so I'm going to have fun with them!

ElsieH
02-10-2010, 11:33 AM
:wave: Hi, Goalies,

Robert: Those tulips as "still life" just did not stand still! :p
Oh, the new computer must be great. Enjoy that big screen and the added color definition.:thumbsup:
I found that I was getting color shifts when I printed out ref. photos to paint from. They looked great on my computer in my study upstairs, but by the time I got them printed out, they were wimpy. Bob has a photo printer, so I used that, but the biggie was painting from the computer screen on my laptop down in the studio.
Flowers are a big boost at this time of year!

My Amaryllis is actually putting out another set of buds! Bloomed so lovely at Christmas time, then I cut down the stock and expected just to see leaves come out. A few leaves started out and then this new big bud stock came up!
I can hardly wait to have it open.
Hmmmm: Valentines Day...hope I get some flowers!
The pears sound good to paint and then to eat. I'll put them on the shopping list!

Chuas: Oh, there certainly was a lot of "alive" color in those paintings from the book.:cat:

Charlie: Hope light is starting to come back into your outdoors in Sweden! After several days of snowstorms and over-cast sky, we have lovely sunlight on the fresh snow! :heart:

Robert: Orchestra: After I posted last evening, I emailed the orchestra attendance taker and the conductor and begged off.:p The roads were just too covered. We stayed home and had some warm veg. soup.

Have a great painting day, All!
I'm going to "paint up a storm" today...literally! :wink2: :lol:

Judibelle
02-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Elsie...glad to hear you stayed home last night...it was the 'right thing to do'...:)
Chuas...you know what? I like Charlie's works better!
Robert...so glad you are enjoying your new computer!
Doug....I tried the demo of the trees, andd it came out ok. I like yours better, though. I posted it in Scotty's tree thread.
I really want to try the oak tree that Scotty demonstrated.
Hoping I get some time to 'play' today...
Judi

robertsloan2
02-10-2010, 02:02 PM
Elsie, that is so awesome. Glad you stayed in and congratulations on the blooming amaryllis. I hope you do get flowers for Valentines Day.

Judi, can't wait to see your version of the oak tree demo.

Today I think I'm going to tackle the tweaks Charlie suggested on the Korean pear in my pears still life, have good daylight right now and that never seems to last. Then maybe sketch some more.

Colorix
02-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Tick! Date for DIY exhibition decided, in agreement with the venue. It will be from March 20th, and will remain there for 3 weeks. Eeeek! This gave me a billion things to do! (On top of the other billion things.)

Chuas, yes, the colours are wonderful, and the style is post-impressionist, thanks a lot for alterting me to this guy! I think the Nabis group had some idea of being very spiritual in their paintings, if memory serves me.

Robert, have you gotten your new computer? The quality of the screen makes a huge difference! Good luck with the tweaking!

Judi, thank you!

Charlie

Dougwas
02-10-2010, 06:00 PM
Elsie- I am happy to hear you stayed home and didn't drive in the snow. That is the one thing I don't like about living in the north. My wife does not like driving on snowy roads, so I drive her to work every day. It's only a fifteen minute round trip, but when it's snowing it can be tricky. Anyway, glad you are getting lots of painting done. Paint on!:thumbsup:

Robert- It's nice to hear you got your new computer up and running. It's great having a bigger monitor, isn't it? My new laptop has a 17 inch monitor and I love it. It also has a better resolution than my old one and man, paintings look more vibrant. Have fun getting used to your new toy. Thanks for the nice comments on my trees. I just might do some tree sketches, but right now I am working on landscapes. Hey, why not run before I learn to walk?:rolleyes:

Judi- You did a fine job on your trees. You have great depth. Keep at it.:D

Charlie- Way to tick off those goals. Now it looks like you are going to have more goals getting ready for your exibition. Wow, three weeks is a long time. Way to go. You deserve this.:clap:

I have been fairly busy, painting most days even if it is just for a few minutes. I have posted one painting for the Landscape Challenge and I am now working on a painting for The Spotlight. My biggest critic says my trees now look like trees and not green blobs.:eek: :lol: That's the Dutch in her. Blunt and honest. Good qualities for an accountant, or as our art and design orientated children and I call her, mutant.:evil: But we love her anyway.:heart:

Happy painting everybody.

Doug

Judibelle
02-10-2010, 08:52 PM
Doug...thanks for your comment on my trees...I do intend to keep at it...
Took a look at your landscape....beautifully done. Your grasses in the foreground are lovely, and your barn came out very well. Nice job!
Charlie...happy to hear you have your date set.

i saw the sample of my business cards yesterday...I think they are going to look very nice. Should have them by next week...
Got nothing done today...it snowed off and on, but didnt amount to a thing....so much for the blizzard affecting us.
judi

chuas2
02-10-2010, 10:38 PM
Elsie, you HAVE to paint the amaryllis! They're sooo beautiful!

I'm going to have to figure this one out. Got a new job; well, a transfer within the same company. Hours are going to be longer and will cut into my painting big time! :( I'm so glad I can look at all of the beautiful work being posted here (oooh ahhhhh)! I haven't even had TIME to do Paula's step by step...my trees will have to remain green blobs for a time. :(

Robert, I also have what I call a portable desktop (huge laptop). I've watched full length movies on it, the screen is that beautiful. You'll never regret this purchase!

Charlie, I agree with Judi. You would have been serious competition for Monsieur Bonnard...and Monsieur Monet as well!

robertsloan2
02-10-2010, 11:12 PM
Charlie, yep, it arrived yesterday! I love it. I spent all morning doing setup and installing my usual software (which is what I did most of yesterday too). I ate the red pear, but don't need it to do the right side of the Korean pear. You're really getting a lot done, good luck keeping up on that.

Doug, go for it! I'm inspired by this month's Landscape Challenge too, have to get at least one of those in sometime this month.

JB, glad the snow didn't pound you that bad. It's odd how time tends to slip away sometimes, but that can sometimes make art come out better if you thought about it while you were warming up to it.

Chuas, that's exactly the right thing to call it -- portable desktop. What's lovely is it weighs less than most of my previous laptops did despite its enormous size. It's actually easy to carry around. I agree with you about Charlie, Bonnard and Monet.

Just as I was getting organized to paint, my chronic fatigue caught up with me. So I took a nap and then woke at almost nine at night... sorry to lose a bright sunny day to it. Very frustrating. I'm still resting up from throwing my back on the unexpected doctor appointment last Thursday though, so that does make sense even if it's not much fun.

rasberry
02-10-2010, 11:45 PM
hmm ok well i have been really dissapointed with myself of late... i havent drawn anything in almost a year... i have been plagued with self doubt and horrid perfectionism to the point that i havent even picked up a pencil/pastel etc..
So i guess my goal for this month is to start... and give myself permission to give things a go without having to be great at them...
I'm still a complete beginner with pastel having given up so much.. but i really love the medium and would love pastel to be my main medium in the future...

wish me luck lol
Naomi

ElsieH
02-10-2010, 11:57 PM
:wave: Hi, Naomi,

Good for you! First steps are always the hardest: But, just popping in here and setting a goal is a great start! :thumbsup:
Next step: get out some pastel pencils and some paper and make a very bad painting. Yes, you heard me correctly: a very bad painting. Label it on the back # 1. Next day, do # 2. You don't even have to use expensive pastel paper. Get some very sinple idea and paint it next. :thumbsup:

Those "bad paintings" are called "stinkers": I have a pile of them! I keep them and pull one out to test a new stick, to scribble an idea. So keep them! But, you will start to like a few things.:heart:

Keep us posted on what you are doing...even shapening you pastel pencils is a good job! :wink2:

Go gal! :clap:

robertsloan2
02-11-2010, 12:09 AM
Welcome to the goalies, Naomi! Sounds like a great goal to let yourself start without worrying whether it's good.

Pastels are wonderful for being able to work fast and loose. One thing I found out is that even really bad sketches become useful later on. If I look at them, now that I've learned to paint better, I can actually remember more of what I was looking at when I did them than I got on the page. Weird, huh? But it works that way.

Another tip -- date everything. I learn so much here at WC that when I look back to what I did last year, I'm shocked at how much better I'm painting now than I used to. It's a great cure for being self conscious to realize how much you learned, and it can happen in only a dozen drawings.

My goal this month is pretty similar -- sketches and studies, work on improving my skills rather than trying for serious paintings. If any come out as great paintings, that rocks, but my real goal is just to do them and enjoy them and learn.

rasberry
02-11-2010, 12:55 AM
thanks so much for the encouragement guys :-) i really appreciate it...
I like the idea of purposely doing some bad paintings lol...
I think what i might also do is just bite the bullet and work through some exercises in one of my art books... reminding myself they dont have to be great ... why is it such a hard lesson to learn... hmm im thinking maybe i should so a pastel a day regardless of the end progress.. and like you said Robert date them and in a couple of months im bound to have improved!

I think maybe i was aiming to high and just need to give myself permission and time to be a student and just learn..

thanks so much for the encouragement it has certainly helped

:-)
Naomi

Dougwas
02-11-2010, 03:41 AM
Hi, Naomi

Welcome to The Goal Post. Elsie and Robert gave you some excellent advice. Fight that self doubt and grab those pastels and allow yourself to have fun. You will learn from bad painting as much as good paintings, if not more. If you have any questions, just ask.

I don't know if you saw Deborah Secor's thread about posting her book on her blog. There will be a ton of info and it is free. Her gift to us. Here is the link. http://landscapesinpastel.blogspot.com/

Good luck and have fun.

Doug

Colorix
02-11-2010, 08:03 AM
Hi Naomi, welcome to the GoalPost! Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, joined the list. The others are right, purposly set out to do awful horrible stinkers of sketches, once you've done a few of them, you'll be able to feel a relief from the self-imposed pressure to produce masterpieces. One of my breakthoughs in this respect came when a painting went beyond salvation about mid-through, and I thought "what the *beep*, I have nothing to lose as it is lost already, and had at it with abandon, putting in outragous (I thought) colours. After an hour of really enjoying 'defacing it' with pastel, I took a step back, and there sat my best painting to that day. Go figure...

30 sketches in one month will let you develop more than painting one perfect painting using 3 months for it.

Guys, thank you so much for being so kind and flattering, it is heartwarming.

Elsie, glad you saw sense and stayed home from rehersal in that awful weather. Your husband may drive very safely, but what about the other guys on the road?

Computers: I love the screen of mine (stationary computer), it is 12x19" large! I'd also love to have one of those portable desktops.

Charlie

Judibelle
02-11-2010, 10:01 AM
Hi Naomi, and welcome. Ditto what the others have said....have fun and just enjoy the freedom of doing the 'stinkers'...
Judi

robertsloan2
02-11-2010, 01:22 PM
Naomi, Charlie is right. If you do a sketch a day for 30 days without regard to whether they're any good, you'll learn more than spending three months on a "perfect" painting. That's the fastest way I know for anyone to improve. Go for it!

I am going to sketch today even if I don't feel up to working on the Korean pear. I'm still under the weather but I'm tired of not sketching.

Edit: that burst of determination was good for one thing -- I got the pear painting off the wall and back onto the drawing board. So maybe I can do that tweak today before starting something else. I hope. Still fighting the dizziness that washes up from the back spasms.

Did it! The tweak is done. About time too, I don't think the remaining two pears will last much longer. Got to eat at least one of them today. I'll get more fruit to do fruit studies with. They need eating up. Any further pear studies from those will have to be from my photos.

Now I can go sketch trees, maybe try the Spotlight...

Dougwas
02-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Way to go, Robert. It feels good to get it out of the way, doesn't it? I must be having sympathy pains for you, because my back is killing me today. I know there nothing I can really do about it, so I sucked it up, went and spent 20 minutes in my studio and finished of my Spotlight painting. I feel better, but my back doesn't.:p

Hang in there, Robert. Tomorrow is another day.

Doug

robertsloan2
02-11-2010, 07:04 PM
I did some Spotlight notans too, so today was a really good day of getting some pasteling done. I might keep working at night if my back lightens up a bit. I got out my Art Spectrums and they're in reach, so this should be fun. Off to see your Spotlight painting now!

Judibelle
02-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Robert and Doug....so sorry to hear you are both having back problems...hoping you both feel better by tomorrow.
Loved seeing your Spotlight oainting, Doug...beautiful colors in the waters.
Robert...Doing notans is something I dont usually do, but think I might remind myself to do so...
I did a couple for the tree study thread. nothing serious, but fun. I like the idea of doing studies and sketches, as you have mentioned also, Robert. Keeps me from getting overly worried about 'getting it right'....Am still working on the CAC...it's a hard one...and I really want to 'get it right', or at least as right as I can...
Judi

robertsloan2
02-12-2010, 11:54 PM
What's ironic is that having decided to do sketches and studies, my studies are coming out more finished than some of my previous paintings. Deciding to do that freed me up to do the goofy little notans and scribbly sketches for preliminaries, and to use Charlie's method even when the early stages are crazy. It's a different attitude.

It also means that I'm drawing a line between small paintings of pretty simple subjects as studies, versus really big paintings with complex subjects, like more trees in them and maybe an animal in my landscapes, or still lifes like the competition winners that might have 20 bottles in them instead of just three or five. I'm sort of getting ready to do that kind of really big painting.

Being able to simplify the subjects that way is going to help a lot when I try a big painting again. I think that I might break my block against big paintings if I can sufficiently internalize doing preliminaries and working loose to tight instead of overdetailing on the whole surface of the painting. Even if I went for a realist one, doing the details last is a lot faster than doing the details and layering each one.

And what's spooky is that I look at Susan Sarback's book and know that's possible -- getting that level of refinement and still have that dazzling full-color seeing effect.

Judibelle
02-13-2010, 10:00 AM
Robert...i love reading your thought processes...a 'study' in themselves. Thanks for sharing them...

Today my hubby and I are celebrating 45 years of marriage! Pretty amazing, when, according to astrology signs, we are not compatible!
We arent doing anything special, as he is still working through an infection, and it's still pretty cold out....so I'll just make us a nice meal later on...

Judi

Colorix
02-13-2010, 10:12 AM
Judi, congratulations!

Robert, congrats to you too, to having taken a quantum leap!

Charlie (off to paint naked branches en masse, first try)

robertsloan2
02-13-2010, 03:07 PM
Congratulations, Judibelle! That is so wonderful, it warms my heart to know you're still happy after so many years. People don't always live by their astrology signs, I've noticed. I filled out a questionnaire once that showed what sign I'd have if it matched what I'm really like and came out a completely different sign.

Charlie, yay for painting naked branches en masse. It's fun to push and do things that are new.

Dougwas
02-13-2010, 05:38 PM
Judi- Congratulations to you and your husband. Enjoy your special day.

Robert- It sounds like you are onto something. Confidence is a good friend to have.

Charlie- You startled me. All I saw was the word "naked." :eek: Good luck with those branches.

I am trying something different, for me. A coloured pencil landscape on UART 800 grit paper. You can't learn unless you try it.:D

Doug

Colorix
02-13-2010, 06:21 PM
A half tick :-), did indeed start the painting with bare branches. ;-) (LOL, I think more careful observation of grammar wouldn't have caused confusion. Though, in summer, it might be an option.) Not something to do in a blizzard.

Spent an inordinate amount of time on re-designing the ref, here's my notan and sketch process:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Feb-2010/117343-WiCo_Notans.jpg

Order is left top to right, then second row left to right. Top left is just exploring the actual ref and as you see all dark are in a band in the middle, top right is a pencil one, and then you see when I start to experiment, trying to find a way to 'brace' the darks against the bottom edge. I've gotten to stage one, now, in neon colours.

Charlie

chuas2
02-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Today my hubby and I are celebrating 45 years of marriage! Pretty amazing, when, according to astrology signs, we are not compatible!
We arent doing anything special, as he is still working through an infection, and it's still pretty cold out....so I'll just make us a nice meal later on...

Judi
Hey Judi, you and I have the same anniversary date. My hubby and I have only been married seven years (seems like forever) though. He got me a $$ certificate to Blick's (!). :clap:

robertsloan2
02-14-2010, 04:20 PM
Chuas, you have a loving husband! That's just sweet. I hope when I find another girlfriend that she knows how much that'd be appreciated on special days. (Though odds are with the people I know, she'd feel the same way!)

Judibelle
02-14-2010, 05:14 PM
Well, belated anniversary greetings to you, Chuas! Nice that you got a certificate to Blick's. My dear husband is always looking for 'practical' things to get for me, to improve my health and well-being... that HE thinks I need.....bless his heart. Only, usually they are things I DONT think I need or would use...oh well, he means well...
Judi

chuas2
02-14-2010, 06:07 PM
Well, belated anniversary greetings to you, Chuas! Nice that you got a certificate to Blick's. My dear husband is always looking for 'practical' things to get for me, to improve my health and well-being... that HE thinks I need.....bless his heart. Only, usually they are things I DONT think I need or would use...oh well, he means well...
Judi
lol! Robert, I do have a good one, although I had to kiss a lot of frogs first. I can't imagine anyone knowing you who doesn't appreciate your talent and love for art (cluttered workspace and all)!

Judi maybe in 38 more years he will be buying me kitchen appliances, or socks. :lol:

Dougwas
02-14-2010, 08:07 PM
Happy anniversary, Chuas. Make sure you spend it all. (If not more :evil:) Shhh, I won't tell.:wink2:

Doug

ElsieH
02-15-2010, 03:18 PM

Best Wishes and Congrats to the Anniversary Gals!:clap:

You know, it must be the "power of suggestion" as we are spread out over the world, but....I bent down to pick something off the floor Friday evening and let out a scream! One minute I felt fine, the next minute I had a terrible back pain! :eek: I'll certainly not blame on either Doug or Robert and I do hope that both of you are feeling much better. :cat:
Saturday I was in and out of pain a lot. Found one comfortable spot to be..in my recliner chair with a heating pad. Sunday was much better, but as I got up from the table at dinner time, it happened again! :eek:
So today, I'm taking it easy and NOT BENDING OVER for anything!
Needless to say, my studio time since Friday has been zero.
I'm hoping to get back there tomorrow. :)
I have been able to work on my graphite drawing lessons and some colored pencil work. So all has not been lost.:cat:

Charlie: the notan look interesting. That encourages me to do that more. I usually do one or two, but exploring more would be good.:thumbsup:

The weather forecast did not mention snow, but someone forgot to tell the clouds! Just what I need is more snow...orchestra rehearsal is tomorrow evening and I can't miss two of them! :o I'm hoping that this is a light bit and will stop.

I'm itching to get back to working on the "Prairie Storm Coming On" painting.
Everytime I look at my photo refs. I see more colors.....Have I been "Sarback/Hensche-ized" or what? :lol: :p
This time, I'm not printing out my photo refs. but working from my netbook computer. What I see on the screen is much better than I can get out of my printer. One of my next goals for March....get the screen to printer color better balanced. All the adjustments in Photoshop deal with the image on the screen. I get great images on the screen...I need to deal with the printers and the issues there. I'm lucky to have my own computer/guru/husband handy. :heart:

Have a great, dusty week!

Dougwas
02-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Elsie- Sorry to hear about your back. Take it easy and let other people wait on you. I know it's easier said than done. My wife still gives me you know what, when she catches me doing something I shouldn't be doing.:evil:

I use coloured pencils while in my recliner too. I think that was the reason I took up cp's. We can work in colur without leaving a dust trail. And don't tell anyone, but cp's can be as addictive as pastels. My 400 pencils prove that.:o

Take care of your back. You only have one.

Doug

Judibelle
02-15-2010, 07:20 PM
Ouch! Elsie...so sorry to hear you've hust your back. Here's hoping it heals soon. (sorry to hear you have rehearsal again, which you 'cant miss'....let your back tell you if you can make it or not...)
thinking of you and sending healing thoughts...
Judi

robertsloan2
02-15-2010, 08:19 PM
Ouch, Elsie! Yikes! Take it easy and don't bend for anything until it's gone. That kind of spasms can be so painful and straining it can make it so much worse. I remember doing a lot of deep knee bends whenever I get spasms like that from picking things up.

Have you thought of trying a chiropractor? That can really help speed the recovery time.

terri66
02-15-2010, 08:33 PM
Sorry to hear of your back acting up Elsie.
I just got passed a link to a mural from the Olympics that I thought was really interesting. Not quite a "goal post" item but I wanted to share; http://www.muralmosaic.com/kunamokst.html

Dougwas
02-15-2010, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the link, Terri. Beautiful mural and great imagination.

Doug

ElsieH
02-15-2010, 10:58 PM
:wave: Hi, I'm BACK! Sorry, Doug, I just had to say it! A PUN my Word!:wink2:

Thanks for all the good wishes and good advice about the back!
Oh, I know! I bent over to put on my boots to go to a doc. appointment and wished I had waited for Bob to help me! :eek:
Life is good, but still a little painful! My recliner and heating pad are good friends. Also, Sweet Bob brought in Chinese Take away for dinner tonight! Yummmmmm! :heart: :heart:
Oh, I hear you Doug about the CP addiction! :p I'm currently drooling over the Lyra set now! :wink2:
A retired teacher's income can only support so much addiction! I have to feed my pastel habit, my Daniel Smith Watercolor addiction and my CP habit! :evil: :p Oh, well, if I went in for therapy it would cost more! :p

The snow that happened here today did stop by mid-afternoon and tomorrow is predicted to be nice. So, orchestra here I come!

Tomorrow, I'm taking the heating pad to the studio and a pillow to put behind my back and I'm getting dusty! Being Pastel addicted, I can only be just so many days away from my pet pastels! :p

chuas2
02-15-2010, 11:22 PM
Yes, take care of the back Elsie. As a person who has had four epidurals and takes massive amounts of anti-inflammatories, it is NO fun!

YES also, to CPs! I have a TON. And did you know they work wonderfully on colourfix paper? Especially the soft waxy ones.

May we'll see you and Doug over in the CP section a bit?
Chuas

ElsieH
02-16-2010, 10:42 AM

Chaus: I do check in with the CP forum daily, but beyond showing their work, they just don't seem very active. I jump in occasionally with a comment etc., but don't get much response or action. I'm spoiled with the Pastel Forum: all so active and curious and lively. :wink2:

The back is gradually getting better.
I can't take the pastel-withdrawal any longer! Today, I make the dust fly! :p Heating pad and pillow on the chair, here I come!:wink2:

Chaus: I'll give the CP's a try on Colorfix. Thanks.

Hmmmm Feb. 16th, over the hump in February and sliding down to March!
In spite of a hectic month in non-art matters, I'm accomplishing a lot of art! Yippeee! :cat:

robertsloan2
02-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Yay for getting dusty! Go for it. Heating pad and pillow in the chair sounds like a great idea, get some back rest in and get in some painting!

Colorix
02-16-2010, 02:58 PM
All of you with bad backs, get well!

I've been down for two days with some allergy related stuff. Hope to get better. Too tanked with pills to drive, so Hubby took me to the nearby mall and I got meself some of those frames that aren't, just backing, glass, and clips keeping them together. I thought to put my sketches in them, and offer them as the budget alternative at my show. Keeping prices down, that way. It is amazing how much even a simple photo frame costs, especially when you need so many.

So that is another half 'tick' off my goals, I now have about half the framing to do, but I *have* the frames in my house. :-)

Charlie

robertsloan2
02-16-2010, 03:39 PM
Charlie, that's a great idea for shows. It's also a classy way for framing sketches. I might try those for some of the better things on my sketch wall sometime. I used to have some of those years ago, got them for graphite drawings I was selling. They look sharp with or without a mat, though with pastel sketches a mat would be a good idea.

Yay for having the frames in your house. Hope you've got the mat cutter/boards and stuff to do that too, unless you're framing the sketches pressed to the glass.

I lucked and had some money I forgot I had. Kitten was kind about letting me stick to the original payment plan, so today I did place my Blick order to get the frames for Orangerie and the plein air sketch, plus some Spectrum frames on Clearance, plus replaced my beloved Color Conte 48 set. It'll be here on Friday, so I'm babying my back in order to be up to cutting mats this weekend.

Sorry to hear you were down with allergies -- ugh.

I've been slacking lately, should try to sketch today even though I'm not feeling up to much. At least a quick cat gesture or something.

Dougwas
02-16-2010, 08:38 PM
Elsie- Glad to hear you are back at it. Have fun getting dusty.

Chuas- I have tried cp's on Colourfix and plan on doing it again. The one I am working on now is on 800 grit UArt paper. I am also going to spray it with SpetraFix. Always experimenting. I do post over in the CP Channel, but haven't done so for over a month. I will post it when it is finished in the next day or two. I'll let you know.

Charlie- Good idea about you sketches. Paula has been having success selling her 5 x 7 paintings for $30 unframed. There is a market there. I hope you are feeling better.

I put in some time on my cp landscape. It is coming along. I am enjoying the 800 grit UArt paper.

Doug

Dougwas
02-16-2010, 08:41 PM
Robert- Have fun with your new art supplies. Again! :lol: :lol: You must be running out of room. If you are, I have some room up here.:D

Doug

robertsloan2
02-17-2010, 12:25 PM
Hehehe yeah, I bet. Though this time one set is a replacement and the other a very small set of tube gouache so I shouldn't be running into too much storage trouble with this order. Except for frames. I'm running out of wall space too and after Charlie's painting may have to stop getting large paintings and go back to collecting ACEOs.

That or let my collection spread down the hall and out into the rest of the house, sharing it with my family. Or hang my art out there.

terri66
02-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Nothing wrong with hanging your work in the rest of the house unless you have to compete with other members of the family for wall space, Robert.
Goal review:
Finished portrait commission.
Finished a sketch for the spotlight.
Finished another goalie gear painting.
Did the volunteering at the Alberta Winter Games.
Still gathering info for the EMS commission.
Enjoyed Paula's 30 in 30 so much that I bought one of them.

This weekend, going to Edmonton to see the new Alberta Art Gallery downtown. Perhaps I will indulge in a few more different types of pastel papers or maybe a stick or two of open stock as well. Just a minor addiction.

robertsloan2
02-17-2010, 07:36 PM
Wow, Terri, you got so much done! Congratulations! Yay that you got one of Paula's paintings, those are so cool. I love mine.

Coolness that you're going to get to stop at an art store over the weekend. Hope you find something wonderful!

I got started on my square Spotlight study, did its goofy stage one.

Colorix
02-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Terri, you're doing great with your goals!

Me, I can tick off writing nearly all documentation for the PGE Annual meeting.
Tick, having a firmly confirmed date for my exhibition.

Tick, getting panicked, so much to do! I had three slow days due to allergies. I don't like to lose days, but I got quite a bit of relaxed reading done, finished the latest Reginald Hill, one of his Dalziel & Pascoe mystery. Hill is sneaking in poetic prose and real literature into whodunnits, catching his readers unawares. I can highly recommend the 25 or so books. British humour, too.

:-)

Charlie

robertsloan2
02-18-2010, 05:27 PM
Congratulations on your goals, Charlie, you're doing great!

Dougwas
02-19-2010, 12:10 AM
Terri- You have been busy knocking those goals off. Way to go. Enjoy your weekend in the big city.

Charlie- No panicking allowed. You will be prepared, just like last time. Too bad about your down days, but maybe you needed them to recharge your batteries.

Doug

terri66
02-19-2010, 05:25 PM
Charlie, it will all pull together. Organizing stuff is just like a painting where there are those times of ugghh what is going on but is required for it all to fall into place. My other analogy is that I need to make a bigger mess to get things tidy, especially in reference to cleaning my house/studio. Take care.

robertsloan2
02-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Terri, that always seems to happen. Once I get to cleaning up, I wind up having to take everything apart to reorganize where it's going to go.

I caught the flu a couple of days ago so I'm very frustrated -- goodies came in but I'm not up to doing anything cool with them like writing the reviews or continuing my Spotlight painting. At least I've got color Conte again for when I do!

Colorix
02-21-2010, 12:16 PM
Robert, Get well!

Tick, a winter landscape painted! Will post later.

I'm snowed in, but luckily the next blizzard will not pass over me.

Check the line of snow over my livingroom window:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Feb-2010/117343-Snow-in-Sweden.jpg

We've managed to get the front door open, and have dug a canyon to the road. It'll take a day to dig out the garage. Where's that global warming, bring it on!

Charlie

Judibelle
02-21-2010, 12:26 PM
robert...sorry to hear you caught the flu again....hope your recovery is quick this time.
charlie....that's a LOT of snow! WOW!And I thought WE have a lot....no comparison!
Haven done anything art-wise for several days now....trying to get into doing my taxes, catching up with paperwork, etc. But the sun is shining brightly today, and I cant resist being down in the art-basement when it's nice and bright out...so I WILL today!
Judi

robertsloan2
02-21-2010, 08:29 PM
Charlie, yikes! I haven't seen anything like that since I lived in Minnesota. You sure do live in Sweden. Yay for doing a winter landscape! I'll bet it's beautiful, when the snow gets that heavy the world looks frosted and it's gorgeous even if it's deadly and annoying.

Judi, yay for getting into the art-basement to paint!

I'm mostly curling up pampering myself and getting fussed over by my cat, who comes and lays on me and purrs. Fuzzy Tummy Purring treatment helps with everything. Even nausea, though I have to make sure he's firmly down on my legs and doesn't knead my middle.

Dougwas
02-21-2010, 11:28 PM
Robert- I hope you start feeling better. The flu can knock you for a loop. Rest up, you have new toys to play with.:thumbsup:

Charlie- I thought you told me that you live in the part of Sweden that doesn't get very much snow. Could have fooled me.:eek: That's the kind of snow kids love and adults hate. Three years ago we had a three foot snowfall, on October 26th. Take care of your back while shovelling the white stuff. Good luck.

Judi- Oh, tax season. I let my people do that for me. (My wife is an accountant:D ) I hope you got some painting time in. Take care.

Doug

Colorix
02-22-2010, 06:36 AM
We haven't had this much snow since... can't remember, the 80s were pretty snowy. Last night it was -5 F, and it's been a decade or two since the last time. But it is oh-so-pretty outside!

Charlie

Mary Y
02-22-2010, 06:58 AM
Hi , I still haven't decided on any goals this month nor have I had much time to paint.

Elsie and Doug hope you are both feeling better and your back pain is controlled.

Judi and Chaus belated Anniversary congratulations.

Terri Congratulations on all the goals you have achieved so far.

Charlie good luck with your exhibition. I hope you are not snowed in for to long.It looks amazing through your window.

Robert look after yourself with the flu It can be nasty.

Hi Lisa and Naomi.

I managed to try out a little set of blue pans on pastelmat this weekend. I have never really liked my pans and this was my third attempt at pastelmat. My first two attempts were dreadful with sticks on pastelmat ,I didn't like the feel of the paper at all.However I think I might have to buy more pans and explore the combination.I did my first WDE and this is it.......

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Feb-2010/100777-WDE_sm.JPG

Set of 5 blue Pans and a red freebie from the Pastel Journal.3 greensticks and a white/cream stick.
C&Cs welcome

So goals.......
Find time to paint.
Take part in two more WDE/challenges.
Continue reading SLTCW.and do some more block studies. I have sorted out my still life setup.
I like Robert and Naomi's idea of sketches.
Keep well everyone.
Mary

terri66
02-22-2010, 11:13 AM
Mary, very cool diagonals going on. Nice volume to the clouds. So far, I've resisted the pan pastels because of having to use tools with them. I really like the "drawing" process and not having to worry about how to handle my "brush".

The Alberta Gallery of Art, just opened up the beginning of Feb in Edmonton. The 2 major shows were the Degas bronzes, "figure in motion" as well as Goya's etchings. There were some pastels of Degas's but not the major ones. The young ballerina in bronze was there as well. There were some sound installations too which I am uncertain about how I feel about as art installations, but that's a whole different chapter.
Charlie, nice snow. When we lived in NL in the late 90s, early 2000s, one year on the highway in the deer hills (canyon basically), the snow was equal or above the trailers of 18 wheelers. There was still snow in the ditches there in June that year.
Robert, take care of yourself.
Judi, definitely sounds like a painting day. Have fun, you too Doug.

robertsloan2
02-22-2010, 11:58 AM
Mary, that is gorgeous! I love your blues landscape (seascape?), it's so tranquil and vast, really shows the beautiful distance. PastelMat and Pans were meant for each other, it's great for Pans. Those clouds and mountains are magnificent!

I like using hard sticks on PastelMat but haven't tried it with softer sticks, will have to find out if it's got enough tooth for the super softies. Had no problem with the color Conte or Richeson sticks though. Pans go on it like a dream. Maybe each of the good papers has its best combinations of what pastels and techniques go best on them.

Doug, you're right! That's kid snow, that's something to make children squeal with delight especially if it's a snow day and adults wince and clutch their backs, thinking of the snow shovel. I even liked it when I was little, both looking out at it and getting to go out and play in it.

Dougwas
02-23-2010, 03:15 AM
Mary- Good goals and very nice painting. You made me try my pans on a piece of scrap Pastelmat. I have been meaning to try it for the past two months (along with a number of other things I want to try;) ). I like the way the pans go on the Pastelmat. Hmmm, now I will have to move it up the list and give it a go. Your limited palette painting looks great. If you continue with the SLTCW I am sure there will be more pans in your future. Good luck with your block studies.

Terri- That must have been neat to see some Degas pastels in person, even if they weren't the major ones. I think that would be instant motivation for me. I hope you enjoyed it all.

Robert- My wife is the one in our family who hates it when it snows now, because I just can't shovel any more. Well, I can, but I'll pay for it for the next week. I just hope it doesn't snow for the next two weeks while my wife and daughter are down in Vancouver. They leave on Wednesday and I will have the house to myself. The dust will be flying.:D (pastel dust that is)

Doug

Mary Y
02-23-2010, 11:08 AM
Terri,
You are so lucky to see some of Degas's pastels.
I had my little set of pans for some time now and didn't like them , I much preferred to use the soft pastels.However I didn't like the soft pastels on pastelmat so when Deborah suggested using it with pans/pan applicators I thought I would give it a try. The first half an hour didn't feel right and then I started to enjoy them.
I think there is a place for most papers.I like Colourfix best at present but I also enjoy Canson sometimes.

Robert,
Thank you.I must try some conte on the pastelmat.I tried my A/spectrum and W/Newton and didn't like the feel of it ,however maybe it is just a matter of getting used to a different texture.

Hi Doug,
Glad to hear you also enjoyed the P'mat with pans
Hope you enjoy your time Home Alone and paint up a storm.
Mary.

Judibelle
02-23-2010, 11:58 AM
Mary...that is absolutely beautiful!
Terri....how great to see the Degas bronzes!
Doug...here's hoping for NO SNOW while your wife and daughter are away...and that you have fun with your 'dusties'...
Robert....hope you are feeling better and back to painting, as well...
Charlie...hope you've gotten 'snowed-out' by now....
Elsie....hope you are getting some painting done!

I know it's only the 23rd, but since I had no specific goals for Feb, I've done pretty well....did 2 challenges (CAC and Spotlight), did several sketches, picked up my new business cards (now I just have to get up the nerve to pass them out. My husband's caregiver-aide was here when I got them, and she asked for one right away...)
Practicing doing trees will probably continue into March....I really do need the practice getting them to look believable.

Judi

Deborah Secor
02-23-2010, 12:46 PM
Hi , I still haven't decided on any goals this month nor have I had much time to paint.

Elsie and Doug hope you are both feeling better and your back pain is controlled.

Judi and Chaus belated Anniversary congratulations.

Terri Congratulations on all the goals you have achieved so far.

Charlie good luck with your exhibition. I hope you are not snowed in for to long.It looks amazing through your window.

Robert look after yourself with the flu It can be nasty.

Hi Lisa and Naomi.

I managed to try out a little set of blue pans on pastelmat this weekend. I have never really liked my pans and this was my third attempt at pastelmat. My first two attempts were dreadful with sticks on pastelmat ,I didn't like the feel of the paper at all.However I think I might have to buy more pans and explore the combination.I did my first WDE and this is it.......

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Feb-2010/100777-WDE_sm.JPG

Set of 5 blue Pans and a red freebie from the Pastel Journal.3 greensticks and a white/cream stick.
C&Cs welcome

So goals.......
Find time to paint.
Take part in two more WDE/challenges.
Continue reading SLTCW.and do some more block studies. I have sorted out my still life setup.
I like Robert and Naomi's idea of sketches.
Keep well everyone.
Mary
Glad you pointed me over here, Mary, and it's good to know the Pans are starting to click with you. I love the combo with Pastelmat. This painting has excellent massing, good contrast and nice colors. :)

And NOW I've discovered where everyone is chatting! :lol: So, for the record, my 'goal' is to get over this nasty virus. I've been down for a week almost, and it keeps getting worse. I have an article to write and every time I try to string it together it just gets strung out further. It's a good interview, and the artist deserves someone with a brain to do the work, so I keep thinking tomorrow I'll feel up to it... so, I say it again, maybe tomorrow! (does anyone feel a song coming on? NO.)

Nap time, again... :wave:

Deborah

Judibelle
02-23-2010, 12:51 PM
Deborah...so glad you discovered us....sorry you're not feeling well. Hope things clear up for you soon...
Judi

terri66
02-23-2010, 04:06 PM
Doug are your wife and daughter going to catch some of the Olympic excitement?
Nice to see you in here Deborah, I enjoy seeing your work in other parts of the forum. Hope you beat the virus soon.
Good job on getting your business cards, Judi.
If any of you have a chance to give me some feedback on white anemone 4, I would really appreciate it. I am fussing about cropping it.
In March, I get a chance to bring some work to a gallery in Edmonton. That will definitely influence my March goals. I have a feeling my work might not be quite traditional enough but no guts, no glory. It will be a learning experience, either way.

robertsloan2
02-23-2010, 06:03 PM
Deborah, hope you get over it soon! I'm just coming off it, felt better today but still sort of drug out and not sure if I'll paint or sketch. Yep, we chat a lot on the goals thread, so glad you joined us!

Mary, I love the Colourfix with Art Spectrums and softer pastels. I'm having fun with a wide variety of coated or sanded surfaces and they're all different. Wallis is too rough sometimes, but it is great for some sorts of things.

Mary Y
02-23-2010, 06:17 PM
Judi,
Thank you. Well done on your goals this far.
Good luck with the trees I find them difficult.

Deborah,
Thank you for taking time to look in. The reference picture was posted by Joel in the WDE and I loved the shapes in it.
I think I will try a wave sometime with this combination .It's all about time these days or lack of it.
I hope you get over your virus soon. Sometimes rest and fluids are the only cure so look after yourself.

Terri,
Your white anemone is lovely.
Good luck with the Edmonton gallery.
Mary

Colorix
02-23-2010, 06:26 PM
Terri, those Degas bronzes are wonderful, especially the less than skinny ones!

Judi, thanks, they've managed to clear the roads, and that one cold night with -5F is past. Tomorrow I'll get out of the house!

Mary, lovely painting! Those fjords are so gorgeous, I'd love to paint them PA!

Deborah, yep, here is our little hide-out! :-) Get well!

Tick, another painting done! It's a CAC, I hope, as I seem to flaunt all the rules they have... will post when allowed.

Charlie

Dougwas
02-23-2010, 11:53 PM
Judi- For a gal with no goals, you sure are having a busy month. Maybe that workshop got your creative juices flowing. Way to go. Keep at it.:thumbsup:

Deborah- Welcome to the Goal Post. Okay, maybe we do a little chatting here,;) but we seem to encourage each other to keep at our art. I hope you have success with your goal and get healthy and now that you know where we are, you are more than welcome to join us. The more, the merrier.

Terri- No, they aren't taking in any of the Olypics. Just visiting with family before they head over to the Island for next weekend. They will be visiting our son in Nanaimo. Our youngest daughter has applied at VIU for their BFA Graphic Design program. She has an interview next Saturday where she gets to show her art portfolio. They only accept 24 students every year, so we are keeping our fingers crossed. Our son was in the same program, and has been working as a Graphic Designer for three years now. I guess it runs in the family.:D

Charlie- Keep ticking them off, Charlie, and good luck with all that snow. :eek:

Doug

robertsloan2
02-23-2010, 11:55 PM
Sketched today! One more for my February goal, it's a tiny ATC from the Landscape Challenge posted in the Sketch Thread. Less than an hour but I'm getting back on track.

Maybe I'll do more sketching tomorrow. Or even (!) more than one sketch?

Deborah Secor
02-24-2010, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the well wishes. Unfortunately, my father-in-law passed away last night. I always take things one day at a time, of course, and today looks a bit like an uphill climb.

Deborah

terri66
02-24-2010, 10:25 AM
Deborah, I am sorry to hear that. Good luck with the climbing and I hope you hit a steady comfortable plateau soon.

Dougwas
02-24-2010, 11:25 AM
I am so sorry to hear the bad news, Deborah. I know your faith will help you, and your family, through this terrible time. One day at a time, and I hope each day gets better for you. Take care.

Doug

Colorix
02-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Deborah, so sorry for your loss. And so much to do. If you can, take some healing painting time.

Tick, one painting shipped to customer.

Charlie

Judibelle
02-24-2010, 12:17 PM
Oh Deborah....So sorry.... Condolences and prayers for you and your family during this time of transition...
Judi

robertsloan2
02-24-2010, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the well wishes. Unfortunately, my father-in-law passed away last night. I always take things one day at a time, of course, and today looks a bit like an uphill climb.

Deborah

Deborah, that's so sad. I feel for you. *hugs*

Take care of yourself. You're so gentle and big-hearted that you're probably going to spend most of the day taking care of other people, but give yourself a little time too. Whatever you need to take care of yourself, I hope and pray you have it be that time, a comfort, anything. You have friends out here who care about you.

Mary Y
02-24-2010, 10:58 PM
Deborah,
I am sorry to hear of your loss.
You are in my prayers.
Mary

Dougwas
02-25-2010, 12:08 AM
Way to go, Charlie. Keep those ticks coming.

Doug

Judibelle
02-25-2010, 08:20 PM
so WC is NOT going to close down this weekend...the migration to Facebook was successful, but almost premature....oh well. now we'll be ready for the closedown whenever it happens...
Watched the President's HealthCare Summit meeting all day today. Very interesting, but i"m afraid not too productive.
Hopefully tomorrow I will get to paint a bit...gotta finish out the month on a high note....
judi

Mary Y
02-25-2010, 09:02 PM
Judi,
Thanks for posting above .I had read the thread at the top yesterday and would not have gone back into it again.
I have mixed feelings about Facebook, I have enough addictions to deal with (Wetcanvas and buying pastels) without starting another.

Charlie , you are "ticking" away nicely at your goals this month.
Mary

robertsloan2
02-26-2010, 09:55 PM
I managed to sketch today! Both a test sketch with the Blick Artist pastel sample for a review on my art supply reviews blog, and an oil sticks painting that came out very loose and painterly. So at last toward the end of the month I'm getting into sketching again. Whew!

chuas2
02-27-2010, 12:08 PM
Hi everyone, I've not had ANY painting time what with my job transfer. Crazy stuff.

I did manage to start a painting on Ampersand (my first with this surface) but haven't quite gotten the feel of the board. It's so different in texture and the way the pastel feels going on a very hard surface.

Usually, I tape LaCarte or Wallis to a board over several sheets of newsprint padding. I think it may be one of those surfaces that is best started with semi=hard pastels and finished with softies. Any ideas?

chuas2
02-27-2010, 12:22 PM
So I found Robert's post on Ampersand in the "Materials" section, "the paper thread." Lots of good observations.

I also found that there are marks or ridges in the board that take some layering to cover up. don't like that much.

And it is heavy. In fact, I was in the living room reading and heard a crash in my "studio" and the board had fallen off and landed on some boxes, even though I'd used two layers of tape to hold it up. I finished the painting with pushpins underneath it.

Colorix
02-27-2010, 04:44 PM
Rob, glad you could sketch!

Chuas, that board sounds heavy!

Tick: Several paintings framed, three frames ordered at the frame-shop for diy finishing, selection of what to put in show made, and invitation draft made. Calculated my 'smart' thought of framing with mat and clip-frame only, and found that it is more expensive for small paintings, but well worth it for the 12x16" ones. (The three separate pro-frames are supposed to go with the customers who buys a matted and glazed but unframed one. Testing new ideas to keep cost down.)

Charlie

Charlie

robertsloan2
02-27-2010, 04:53 PM
Yay for another tick! You've been accomplishing so much, Charlie!

Chuas, I didn't have that problem with the Ampersand boards but others have. Mine have a smooth evenly toothy surface but they're quite small, only 5" x 7" -- and they are so heavy, that's inconvenient. Especially on large paintings. I think I'm going to experiment with Colourfix primer on archival foam board if I want boards.

Dougwas
02-27-2010, 11:51 PM
Robert- I am glad you are up to doing some sketching. I think I'll have to buy some of those Blick pastels the next time I place an order.

Chuas- I hope you find time to paint. I can't help you with the Ampersand. It is one surface I haven't tried. Wow, there's something out there I haven't tried?:lol:

Charlie- Keep those ticks coming. It is smart to try new things to keep costs down.

I have the house to myself, but my back doesn't care.:mad: I tried painting today, but I just couldn't do it. Oh well, hopefully I will be able to sit at my easel tomorrow.

Happy painting everyone.

Doug

Colorix
02-28-2010, 08:33 AM
Doug, get well, so you can paint.

Judibelle
02-28-2010, 11:49 AM
oh Doug, so sorry you arent able to take advantage of the empty house. Hope today your back behaves and lets you paint.
Charlie...you did really good this month....Way to Go!
Chuas, Robert, Mary...hope you get to paint today...I may even get to close out the month with a sketch or two...
Judi

robertsloan2
02-28-2010, 12:40 PM
Doug, that's so rough you couldn't take advantage of the empty house. Maybe today your back will feel better and you can paint.

I'm feeling a little better and I think I'm going to sketch even if I'm not up to finishing the Spotlight landscape. The thread will stay open, right, even if it gets unstickied? It's coming out well, but that sometimes means I get stuck on a piece. It's half thinking about the third stage, which is what makes or breaks a painting.

Of course if I sketch I might warm up and be up to it.

Colorix
02-28-2010, 02:05 PM
Checking how it all went:

1) I will Decide a date for my exhibition (Late March, beginning April, possibly over Easter), *and* define all tasks relating to that, *and* writing a time-table for when the different parts *must* be done. And then of course start ticking of tasks, when done with them.

Nearly... Isn't it funny when the Little Rebel within has to rebel against herself? Date decided, March 21 for opening. Defined most tasks and wrote them down, finally. Timetable... missed that one.

2) I will Study Monet more. Possibly buy a hideously expensive book, otherwise using mind and eyes.

Did, for a while, then embarked on Design. No hideously expensive book bought, because it was too hideously expensive.

3) I will take part in the Spotlight.

Did!

4) I will take pictures, write, and send out a newsletter.

Take pictures of what? Don't know what I meant. I did send one Newsletter, and am preparing a second.

5) I will finish the two unfinished paintings I started last month.

One finished, the other is what goes on the easel next.

6) I will paint a couple more, one is to be a winter landscape.

Did!

7) I will also *relax* completely, now and then, and keep up either reading a bit or watching something dumb on the tv, to relax in the evening, so I'm not up most of the night. (hooo-hooo, said night-owl Charlie)

Been doing surprisingly well with that. I've read some Fantasy and a whodunnit. Took one whole day to relax, went out with friends.

8) I will print out these goals and tape them to the bathroom wall, or mirror. So I get reminded several times a day.

Uh-oh... forgot that.... :o

But otherwise, not too bad, in fact, rather good.

Charlie

robertsloan2
02-28-2010, 03:01 PM
Charlie, you did great on your goals! Congratulations! The timetable was just to help you organize and tick things off, but I think you ticked off more tasks for not having one than if you had done it.

I did it! Finished my Spotlight painting and posted it -- thank you for making that composite with all three stages side by side to show the progression. That rocks!

So I think I've had 100% success with my February goal of "Sketches and Studies." Most of them were concentrated on preparing for that one landscape painting, with the result that it came out so much better than if I hadn't done the tree half a dozen times and all those notans and value sketches. I did some other sketching too. I'd say this month was amazingly productive for being a bad month with a lot of arthritis days in it.

I haven't decided on my March goals yet, but maybe the weather will get better. I might be a little more ambitious next month.

Dougwas
02-28-2010, 09:39 PM
Charlie- You did a great job on your goals this month. Now you have three weeks to get ready for you exibition. Lots of time.:rolleyes: I am glad you found time to relax. Sometimes that is the hardest thing to do.

Robert- Good for you. You accomplished what you wanted to do this month. I know you have had some setbacks, so this is fantastic news. Way to go.:thumbsup:

Thanks to everybody for your concerns about my back issues. That's just life, and I have to just keep looking ahead and hope the next day is better.

I didn't get to paint today, but that was okay, because I HAD to watch the Gold Medal hockey game at the Olypics. Phew, it was a close one but our boys brought the gold back home to Canada. I didn't even think about my back during the game.:D People are celebrating in the streets of Vancouver and Toronto. I imagine they are whooping it up in other parts of the country too. Nothing unites our huge nation quite like our national hockey team. When it wins.:rolleyes:

Closing ceremonies for the Olympics are starting, so I must watch it. Bye for now.

Doug

Doug