PDA

View Full Version : Febuary 2010 Oil Pastel Challenge

truck driver
02-01-2010, 02:28 AM
Welcome to the month that babies cry for food. It is my pleasure to provide the following references for you this fine month, to test your artistic abilities upon.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2010/136518-14192nestled_hands.jpg

This is from the image reference library. To me this is what valentines day is all about.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2010/136518-Candidate_1_-_clackamas_river_800x600.jpg

It wouldnt be a challenge from me without a landscape.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2010/136518-S7300547__800x600.JPG

And some motive power....

This is it, Feel free to do whatever you want to these, stray as far from the original as you would like. Create art with them. Also enjoy and have fun.

RG

kazuki
02-01-2010, 02:37 AM
Thanks for hosting, RG. What a beautiful valentines day reference! Love the stormy clouds and I'm sure the auto (engine) will unleash the creativity of the OP family members here. Can't wait to see how others interpret these pictures.

I'm flying to India this month so I'm not sure how much time I'm gonna get for painting apart from a few quick sketches. I hope to do a much better job this month.

By the way, why do babies cry for food this month?

truck driver
02-01-2010, 02:42 AM
Thanks for hosting, RG. What a beautiful valentines day reference! Love the stormy clouds and I'm sure the auto (engine) will unleash the creativity of the OP family members here. Can't wait to see how others interpret these pictures.

I'm flying to India this month so I'm not sure how much time I'm gonna get for painting apart from a few quick sketches. I hope to do a much better job this month.

By the way, why do babies cry for food this month?

That is the Comanche name for February, winters in the parts of the country where those tribes where from are cold and harsh, the game that the native Americans hunted for food was scarce in February. So it came to be called the month the babies cry for food.

RG

sundiver
02-01-2010, 05:46 AM
I was the first moderator in here this morning, so I went ahead and stickied the thread.:)
Three great ones, RG. Cool story about February, too.

Pat Isaac
02-01-2010, 08:24 AM
Thanks, Wendy and thanks for hosting, RG. What great images and I do love the hands.

Pat

halthepainter
02-01-2010, 08:59 AM
Fascinating challenges RG. They will require some pondering on my part.

oldrockchick
02-01-2010, 09:09 AM
I love the heart-shaped hands. That will be some challenge. I think I will have to work big for that one. I have some largeish A3 WC paper I shall Gesso and Cfix up I think. Will be good exervcise in using OPs for life-ish drawing colours.

Like the loco too. I did an old tank steam engine in CPs took me weeks lol IT was a perspective nightmare but enjoyable... might have a go at another one niow I''vw had time to recover.

Thansk fro hosting RG.

gakinme
02-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Thank you, RG, for those beautiful references! Definitely the hands for me!!! Perhaps the landscape piece too.

I could already see the Lin signature piece on the steam engine!

robertsloan2
02-01-2010, 01:06 PM
Great challenges! Thanks for including the landscape, it's so beautiful with those reflections and clouds. I might go for that one this month. The hands one is cool but challenging, would be really tough, same with the railroad one, so I think I'll stick with what's going to be within my "comes out decent" range.

Great story about the month the babies cry for food. Looking outside, I think it's going to be the month Rob's joints freeze up -- but you put in a big landscape that I might have more than one go at with different crops!

Crechat39
02-01-2010, 06:03 PM
Thanks for some challenging photos. I'm instinctively drawn to the landscape but I might tackle engine if, and its a big if, I can get the drawing done well enough.I don't have a lot of patience with drawing. Also it is going to be tricky to avoid just "colouring in" and lacking atmosphere.
As for the hands, count me out. They would be brilliant in an abstract way on a huge canvas and it may be I save the reference for another year!

Scarefishcrow
02-01-2010, 06:37 PM
Thanks for hosting the challenge, RG.

I'll have to "hand" it to you! These images are ones you could really "immerse" yourself in and they are great ones to hone our artistic "training" on!!!! :rolleyes:

Bill
:heart: :heart: :music: :music: :heart: :heart:

hollyga
02-02-2010, 07:21 AM
RG, Thanks for the wonderful ref. photos for this month's challenge. These are ALL a big challenge for me. I will probably try the landscape. I love the hands and everything that photo says to me but I think it may be beyond my ability and I KNOW the train car is. Can't wait to see everyone's interpretations here!

Holly :wave:

truck driver
02-02-2010, 08:20 AM

I'll have to "hand" it to you! These images are ones you could really "immerse" yourself in and they are great ones to hone our artistic "training" on!!!! :rolleyes:

Bill

Man one bad pun, after another, and this after i refused a perfect opportunity to post a blue rose.

RG

oldrockchick
02-02-2010, 08:42 AM

Bill

:lol: Sounds like Bill is back to his old self...:D

oldrockchick
02-09-2010, 10:25 AM
It's all gone a bit quiet here.. mind you with WC playing up so much it doesn't surprise me... Either that or you are all working away like beavers.

I was quite inspired by one of RG's refs. I wanted to show the 'starvation vs decadence of Valentine's Day' attitude with the hands ref, which to me made a perfect heart.

For this I would need to work big so needed a day when I was up to using the table and walking around it to draw out the outlines.

I struggled to find paper big enough and all Ihad was a piece of A2 sugar paper. It has a tooth but is a little too lightweight to take CFix orGesso. It probably isn't majorly archival but then it's just a experimental piece and I doubt it will need to last hundres of years.

Anyway the paper is a sandy colour.

This is just my pre-sketch. I will have to tape it to a board to work on it.
I will do another smaller piece alongside so I can do soemthing in my chair. This may take time as I will only be able to work on it on 'good days'. Also I have no idea how good the paper will be.

Here is an idea anyway...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2010/179312-Pre_Sketches_OP_Fen_10_hands002.JPG

argh Dave the cat just jumped up on the table and is sitting on my artwork!

hollyga
02-09-2010, 11:50 AM
Lin - What a fantastic drawing - love your addition of the roses! :clap: Can't wait to see your progress on this one. I like the "heart" of the hands, too.

oldrockchick
02-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Here is Dave the art critic
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2010/179312-Dave_Art_Critic_002.JPG

First I used DRs as they are hard and economical. I blocked in the background and used a brush moistened with OMS to blend it all in....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2010/179312-Valentine_Hamds_WIPs_001brushwork.JPG

I did the same to produce an all over underpainting to act as a map....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2010/179312-Valentine_Hamds_WIPs_002_-_underpainting.JPG

I am going to leave this now for a couple of days or until I feel up to progressing, I feel happy having actually made a start.

Next layer will be with Neopastels and colour shapers.

The final layer witll be with Sennelier for highlights and details

Pat Isaac
02-09-2010, 05:13 PM
This is going to be a great piece, Lin. What a wonderful concept. Thanks for showing the progress.

Pat

robertsloan2
02-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Lin, thanks for showing your stages on this. Beautiful concept and great cat photo too. Dave is showing his approval of the sketch by shedding on it. Obviously if you're painting hands that realistically, yours should be scritching Dave and giving him lots of attention, right?

Thanks for mentioning which OPs you're using for which stages too. I like the Daler Rowneys for some things, they're pretty firm and strong and the colors are good even if it's a limited range.

hollyga
02-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Yay for Dave, the critic! Lin, love seeing your progress pics (and Dave). This is going to be such a great painting! :clap: Here's to your progress and to hoping you feel up to working on it!

VladK
02-10-2010, 05:32 PM
Lin, it's just beautiful. I knew you can do that :clap: The idea itself worth :thumbsup: :thumbsup: and your approach is very well set to a great finish. Keep going:music:

halthepainter
02-11-2010, 08:35 AM
Wonderful job Lin.

I see Dave wants your attention.

I used to have a Female Siamese cat that claimed me as her mate. Any time I got down on the floor to do pushups she would crawl under me as I did my pushups.

marionh
02-11-2010, 08:53 AM
Lin this is great. It too looked like a heart to me but you've taken that idea and really ran with it. Thanks for showing the stages - what is OMS?

Hope you feel up to doing more soon.

oldrockchick
02-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Thanks all - I hope to work on it a little later today...

Marion OMS is Odourless Mineral Spirits - in this case Winsor & Newton.

robertsloan2
02-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Lin, is that the same as Winsor & Newton Sansodor or is OMS a different product?

marionh
02-11-2010, 12:17 PM
Thanks Lin, I should have been able to figure that one out!

oldrockchick
02-11-2010, 12:49 PM
OMS is different Robert - it is just like White Spirit or Mineral turps and a lot cheaper and is used for oil paints.

Shirl Parker
02-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Robert, Lin, Alyona Nickelsen uses OMS for colored pencil as well.

oldrockchick
02-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Ok I worked some more on this today.

I used Neopastels and startedf adding tonal coats. I coloured the 2 jumpers and the roses and leaves. I put in darks for shadows on the hands and wrists and the white for highlights. To distinguish the hands at this stage I mde the child's hands pinkish and the man's yellowish. I put in shadows under the fingers, and highlights then roughly blended them with a colour shaper. Then I used my fingers and directionality to blend and shape the fingers and hands. I also added another coat to the ball.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2010/179312-OP_heart_hands_WIP001.JPG
Now to let it settle and then do top coat with Senneliers and some final details. To prevent me marking the background and other pieces I used a piece of A3 greaseproof tracing paper to rest my hand on.

robertsloan2
02-13-2010, 01:05 AM
This is coming out so great! I love the way you're developing it, Lin.

oldrockchick
02-13-2010, 09:38 AM
I kept looking at it last night and more I looked the more I thought.... their hands look dirty as if they have been digging in the garden lol

Pat Isaac
02-13-2010, 09:47 AM
This really is well done, Lin. Great concept. Maybe some warmer colors in the adult's hands.

Pat

oldrockchick
02-13-2010, 10:51 AM
This really is well done, Lin. Great concept. Maybe some warmer colors in the adult's hands.

Pat

I'm planning to go over with Senns I have a portrtait set. I'm very limited with my 48 Neo set at this stage.

I will use creamy colours I think for adult and pinkier colours for the child. Was going to do some today but I'm, not feeling up to sitting at the table and working big today.

truck driver
02-13-2010, 01:09 PM
Lin, I love the way this is coming along. Its going to be fantastic when your done.

Now to the rest of you.. Did I scare you all?

RG

truck driver
02-13-2010, 01:11 PM
RG, Thanks for the wonderful ref. photos for this month's challenge. These are ALL a big challenge for me. I will probably try the landscape. I love the hands and everything that photo says to me but I think it may be beyond my ability and I KNOW the train car is. Can't wait to see everyone's interpretations here!

The train isn't as scary as you think it is Holly.

RG

hollyga
02-13-2010, 02:24 PM
RG, yeah - - it is! The quaint little town I live in (Saluda, NC) was originally established because of the railroad. It was still fully functioning until about 7 or 8 years ago - - but the line was shut down because of the danger - - it's the steepest railroad grade East of the Rockies! Because of that, I originally felt compelled to try it and rename the train to something "Saluda-ish" - BUT - I haven't studied your perspective lessons nearly well enough (:eek: ) and just know that there are way too many places for me to screw it up!

I am going to give the landscape a go this weekend, though.

Crechat39
02-13-2010, 05:35 PM
I've just started the train. It is so sweet. I even tracked it down on the Oregon Pacific railway website. Unfortunately I don't have much interest in spot-on drawings so don't expect too much in the way of accuracy.

truck driver
02-14-2010, 01:35 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Feb-2010/35760-136518-SSPX1081.jpg
Pat if you could turn this around for me I Would appreciate it. RG

Pat Isaac
02-14-2010, 01:40 PM
It's done and I think this is a great drawing. Looking forward to the finish.

Pat

truck driver
02-14-2010, 06:39 PM
Thank you, Happy Valentines day btw..

RG

robertsloan2
02-14-2010, 07:33 PM
Great sketch of the train, RG! Looking forward to your next stage.

halthepainter
02-14-2010, 08:38 PM
RG, great looking drawing. It might be curvature of the paper but your roof line on the cab doesn't seem to match the prespective lines with the top of the engine compartment.???

truck driver
02-15-2010, 02:11 AM
Its the paper curving :) The sketch is done on strathmore sketch 400 series 60 lb drawing paper. 5.5 X 8.5". So it doesnt stand up rather well..

RG

Scarefishcrow
02-15-2010, 10:38 PM
Lin, let me add my kudos to your great rendering of the hands! Also thanks for the progress pics.

Robert, OMS is just a generic term for "ODORLESS MINERAL SPIRIT" and not a brand. Sansodor by W&N is essentially a brand of OMS. There are other sources of OMS and they may vary chemically slightly from brand to brand.

In addition to Sansodor, Gamblin Gamsol and Turpenoid are two common brands of OMS. There are quite a few others.

Hope this helps.

RG, great drawing of the locomotive!

BILL
:heart: :music: :heart:

oldrockchick
02-16-2010, 10:34 AM
RG that's a great start! Can't wait to see the OP version.

Must get round to doign some more on mine. I had to go out yesterday and Sunday I was rather pooped. Might do a little today though.

VladK
02-16-2010, 12:10 PM
Oh Lin, this one is coming out really beatiful:thumbsup:

RG, good start.

gakinme
02-16-2010, 12:51 PM
Thank you, RG, for the reference photo. It's not as easy as I thought. I just used a light touch to sketch it.

Gallery Oil Pastel
Canson Mi-Tientes salmon toned paper rough side - half page of 9x12 inch

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2010/86669-op_hands.jpg

Pat Isaac
02-16-2010, 01:02 PM
This is a great sketch, Sandra and I like your use of color. A little more definition between the adult and child hands would be nice.

Pat

gakinme
02-16-2010, 02:36 PM
Thank you, Pat, for your input. I got lost by the time I got to the kid's hand even though I have put in a draft with pencil.

princesstwi
02-19-2010, 12:57 AM
I am not sure which of the references i want to try this month i may just pencil them all and see what comes out best...:cat:

marionh
02-19-2010, 03:57 AM
RG don't think I can join in this month. My granddaughter has been staying this week and next week my Father is here. Hosting the Plant Parade has been my only input to any of the challenges this month. I shall see if I can squeeze something in in the last few days.

robertsloan2
02-19-2010, 10:29 AM
Sandra, your version of the hands came out well. Agree with Pat on defining the child's hands a little more, love the colors though and you really captured the gesture so well.

oldrockchick
02-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Sandra at thsi stage it isnt' easy to determine the hands, but I know you have a way to go. Looking good so far at the draweing stage.

I did a little during the week. I did photograph it but I'm now sure you will see a diffenrece at this stage....

I worked downwards... finished the roses and then the 2 sweaters. i put in some highlights on the child's hands then had to stop....

I used Senns for the roses and amix, mostly senns and neos on the sweaters as I dont' have a enough Senns.

My next stage will be to finish the highlights and lowlights on the hands in Neos and then settlign them down before finishing in senss and fiallny touching up the heart.

oldrockchick
02-19-2010, 12:18 PM
I have just upladed a progress shot from my camera I took the other day after the stage mentioned above.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2010/179312-OP_Feb_WIP_hands_and_heart_14_Feb_10.JPG

Havent' worked much on the hands

Crechat39
02-19-2010, 03:35 PM
In spite of my enthusiasm my attempt at the locamotive has, as it were, hit the buffers.
I have, though, taken up the skyscape with gusto. Below is a pic of the work-in-progress. I am troubled somewhat by the foreground as the far side of the lake and the sky dominate. I don't mind this so I may crop half of the lak to make an interesting panoramic work
Ideas please !

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2010/169975-storm_2.jpg

Pat Isaac
02-19-2010, 04:19 PM
Looking good, Lin.
Great start Margaret and I think the crop would work well.

Pat

truck driver
02-19-2010, 06:35 PM
I am not sure which of the references i want to try this month i may just pencil them all and see what comes out best...:cat:

Dont forget to show us the pencil versions :)

RG

truck driver
02-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Crechat, I love where you are going with this. I really do.

Linn, so far that is looking awesome. I'm glad you stepped up to the plate. My challenges this month werent exactly easy. Yet you have managed to capture exactly what I wanted out of this. Take them and make them something they arent. This is what art is.

RG

truck driver
02-19-2010, 06:41 PM
Sandra keep developing those hands and they will look great. You are doing awesome as well..

RG

halthepainter
02-20-2010, 10:50 AM
Nice job Crechat. Great colors in your lake.

oldrockchick
02-20-2010, 10:52 AM
Thanks RG - means a lot.. I'm getting there slowly and surely but a little limited by the size.. havign the space and energy to work.. It'll be done before the end of Feb I'm sure.

Crech - nice work on the landscape... as Hal say lovely colours. It has a great panoram and depth it is almost looking at a snowglobe (without the snow) if you get what I mean... sort of 'rounded' .. ah I can't explain... its cool though.

halthepainter
02-20-2010, 10:58 AM
RG, I decided to have a little fun with the hands.

I distorted them for effect.

Senns (unfortunately I had to use my landscape set), on canvas with red Prisma Color ground, the image size is 8 by 10 inches.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2010/140488-lores_hands.jpg

oldrockchick
02-20-2010, 12:20 PM
Oooh Hal - that is almost Saintly - very spiritual - lovely

halthepainter
02-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Thank you Lin.

truck driver
02-20-2010, 08:31 PM
Awesome work Hal, I like it a lot.

RG

halthepainter
02-20-2010, 09:06 PM
Thank you RG, it was fun.

Pat Isaac
02-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Nice interpretation of the hands. The red ground works nicely.

Pat

oldrockchick
02-21-2010, 12:44 PM
I can only work on this for a couple of hours at a time for 2 reasons

1/ using my fingers for blending is actually quite physically hard
2/ I need the layers to set up

Right I did my fisrt Senn OP layer. What I was trying to achieve with this was to realise the colours and dampen the harshness of the lines and shadows. I used Senns only to produce contours by blending with my fingers following the natural directionality.

Not a great photo but was hard to get a close up that showed up properly due to the lighting conditions.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Feb-2010/179312-OP_Feb_hands_and_heart_21_Feb_10_WIP_002.JPG

Next should be the finish where I will
unify the colours,
Soften the hard lark lines and shadows further
Add highlights where necessary
use FC polys to define required hard edges

It is odd, I have never worked on this sugar paper before - it is usually used for charcoal sketching. It's pretty nice to work on but I'm not sure of it's archival qualities with OPs. It's ok for these challenges and practising though.

Pat Isaac
02-21-2010, 12:56 PM
This is a stunning painting, Lin.

Pat

hollyga
02-21-2010, 04:39 PM
Lin, I love it! I agree with Pat, it's stunning. Can't wait to see the finish.

RG, I really like your train sketch - I do hope you are going to add your ops to it!

Sandra, I tend to get lost in the middle of a complicated drawing too. This is a great picture, though. Hope you will pick it up again and pull in the child's fingers.

Margaret, I love the purples/lavenders in your sky and the panorama effect of your landscape. I am working on this one, but I have "muddied" up the sky and I'm not so sure I can fix it. Hopefully, I will be able to post something before the month is out!

Hal, someone said this one has a "saintly" look about it - ok - that's a good word. I really like how you isolated and emphasized the hands on their own and you made the elongation of the hands work, too. I really like this one.

I'm off to work on my landscape some more and see if I can get the mud out of the sky!

halthepainter
02-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Thank you Holly.

VladK
02-21-2010, 11:59 PM
Lin, excellent work, I like it very much:thumbsup: .

Color that great train RG :wink2:

Nice start Sandra. Keep going:music:
Margaret, I like your interpretation and colors:clap:

Hal, I agree with everybody else on that "saintly" look. And you did really good job. I liike it very much:thumbsup:

Unfortunately, I was very busy this month, although will try to do at least one challenge.

truck driver
02-22-2010, 12:58 AM
Lin, excellent work, I like it very much:thumbsup: .

Color that great train RG :wink2:

Nice start Sandra. Keep going:music:
Margaret, I like your interpretation and colors:clap:

Hal, I agree with everybody else on that "saintly" look. And you did really good job. I liike it very much:thumbsup:

Unfortunately, I was very busy this month, although will try to do at least one challenge.

Actually I have no intention of coloring that train. I do have a intention of doing one in oil pastel about 4 times the size of that one though. That was a preliminary study..... The real one is on the drawing board. Should get it done next weekend.

RG

pragash
02-22-2010, 11:38 AM
hi,

Lin- amazing work. thanks for showing the stages.
sandra- great start.
Hal- lovely back ground.
crechat- nice job. great refllexions in lake.crop of lake would be amazing

here is my version in op. 7" x 10" Lyra ops on drawing paper. i messed up with background in lower half.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Feb-2010/183483-WC-OP_FEB_challenge.JPG

halthepainter
02-22-2010, 11:57 AM
Well done Pragash.

Scarefishcrow
02-22-2010, 02:55 PM
Sandra,

Very nice use of the paper color showing through in the composition. Nicely done, catches the essence of the subject without extraneous detail.

Bill:thumbsup:

Thank you, RG, for the reference photo. It's not as easy as I thought. I just used a light touch to sketch it.

Gallery Oil Pastel
Canson Mi-Tientes salmon toned paper rough side - half page of 9x12 inch

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2010/86669-op_hands.jpg

Scarefishcrow
02-22-2010, 03:04 PM
Margaret, I think you have done well with this, especially the reflections and lake. I agree the foreground needs some work, but I wouldn't get the paper cutter out yet!

I think if you scumble some darks into the shore area to set it off from the water without great detail, but simply some suggestions of variation in darker values that give the appearance of some rocks or driftwood would make a nicely completed work.

If you still don't like it then the scissors are always still an option for the crop! Great thing about working an area you are thinking of cropping is it really will free you up from obsessing on what you are doing and let you experiment. The result might be surprising, but it will definitely be a learning experience!

Bill
:wave:

In spite of my enthusiasm my attempt at the locamotive has, as it were, hit the buffers.
I have, though, taken up the skyscape with gusto. Below is a pic of the work-in-progress. I am troubled somewhat by the foreground as the far side of the lake and the sky dominate. I don't mind this so I may crop half of the lak to make an interesting panoramic work
Ideas please !

Scarefishcrow
02-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Hal, you always make the challeng fun by using it to stretch your creativity in how you interpret the RI's!

I have to agree the interpretation has a look that not only harkens to the seccular nature of the challenge (Valentine's Day) but captures a spiritual quality that suggests a deeper spiritual meaning with how you handled the "aura" so that it suggessts a presence (big hands) supporting the "smaller hands" (metaphor of your choice here!).

This reinforces the fact that it is really a celebration of SAINT Valentine's day, having both seccular and spiritual facets. :clap:

Then again, this might all be mindless psychobabble on my part! :eek:

BILL
:heart: :music: :music: :heart:

Senns (unfortunately I had to use my landscape set), on canvas with red Prisma Color ground, the image size is 8 by 10 inches.

Scarefishcrow
02-22-2010, 03:18 PM
Pragash,
Nicele done. The only minor comment I have is that if you look at the two middle finger of the large hand on the left of the painting it is hard to tell what parts belong to what finger. They could be better defined and the proportions adjusted slightly.

That said, it is no coincidence that one of the most basic excercises in almost any drawing class is to execute drawings of hands in different positions because of the very fact they can be incredibly difficult to do correctly (speaking from experience of many sketches that don't come even close to your interpretation!)

Very good work on a challenging piece.

Bill
:clap: :thumbsup:

hi,

Lin- amazing work. thanks for showing the stages.
sandra- great start.
Hal- lovely back ground.
crechat- nice job. great refllexions in lake.crop of lake would be amazing

here is my version in op. 7" x 10" Lyra ops on drawing paper. i messed up with background in lower half.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Feb-2010/183483-WC-OP_FEB_challenge.JPG

Scarefishcrow
02-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Lin, What can I say that hasn't already been said? Your meticulous work shows and it is very well done.

I'm curious if you are going to leave the uniform blue bkgd or ad some texture to it?

Bill

I can only work on this for a couple of hours at a time for 2 reasons

1/ using my fingers for blending is actually quite physically hard
2/ I need the layers to set up

Right I did my fisrt Senn OP layer. What I was trying to achieve with this was to realise the colours and dampen the harshness of the lines and shadows. I used Senns only to produce contours by blending with my fingers following the natural directionality.

Not a great photo but was hard to get a close up that showed up properly due to the lighting conditions.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Feb-2010/179312-OP_Feb_hands_and_heart_21_Feb_10_WIP_002.JPG

Next should be the finish where I will
unify the colours,
Soften the hard lark lines and shadows further
Add highlights where necessary
use FC polys to define required hard edges

It is odd, I have never worked on this sugar paper before - it is usually used for charcoal sketching. It's pretty nice to work on but I'm not sure of it's archival qualities with OPs. It's ok for these challenges and practising though.

Pat Isaac
02-22-2010, 04:16 PM
Nicely done, pragash. Like your color and I would check out the left hand as Bill suggested.

Pat

oldrockchick
02-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Thanks all.

Bill - I like plain backgrounds. Mainly because I can never decide how I want them and nothing eer really pleases. In fact I find it really hard to get a 'clean' even background like this... It is quite hard work to get a flawless background so I'm quite proud of this... I'd be too terrified I'd mess it all up to try anything. In fact to get it this clean and even took AGES!

I'll probbaly leave it as it isn't supposed to detract and I want it to be a work of simplicity with all the intricacies on the main subject area of the hands.

I usually try so hard to be photo-perfect realistic. For me this 'semi-abstract' stylised concept is a little different, so I am deliberatley trying not to make it look too 'fussy'.

I also love this shade of blue :)

Scarefishcrow
02-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Thanks all.

Bill - I like plain backgrounds. Mainly because I can never decide how I want them and nothing eer really pleases. In fact I find it really hard to get a 'clean' even background like this... It is quite hard work to get a flawless background so I'm quite proud of this... I'd be too terrified I'd mess it all up to try anything. In fact to get it this clean and even took AGES!

I'll probbaly leave it as it isn't supposed to detract and I want it to be a work of simplicity with all the intricacies on the main subject area of the hands.

I usually try so hard to be photo-perfect realistic. For me this 'semi-abstract' stylised concept is a little different, so I am deliberatley trying not to make it look too 'fussy'.

I also love this shade of blue :)

Didn't mean to suggest there was anything wrong with it was just curious as to where you were going, Lin.

I also love that shade of blue and blue in general. That and red! I like the stylized work on the hands. I was hoping you were shooting for that! I think it works very well.

Bill

hollyga
02-23-2010, 11:32 AM
Hi all, here is my river landscape. I'm not sure it's finished, but certainly finished enough to post. It's 9 x 12" canvas board and done entirely with Energi OP's. (I officially don't like canvas board for OP's - I don't like the little white spots that I can't seem to cover up!:envy: ) C & C's - please.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2010/129659-River_Challenge_1600x1200_2.JPG

Scarefishcrow
02-23-2010, 12:12 PM
Holly, this is quite good. Nice handling of the colors and I think you did a great job handling the foreground. I like it.

Bill
:clap:

Hi all, here is my river landscape. I'm not sure it's finished, but certainly finished enough to post. It's 9 x 12" canvas board and done entirely with Energi OP's. (I officially don't like canvas board for OP's - I don't like the little white spots that I can't seem to cover up!:envy: ) C & C's - please.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2010/129659-River_Challenge_1600x1200_2.JPG

Pat Isaac
02-23-2010, 04:13 PM
I really like your color in this painting. Nice soft color reminiscent of some of the rennaisance paintings. I didn't know but what you might see some of the greens between the bridge rafters.
I personlly dislike canvas also....

Pat

oldrockchick
02-23-2010, 04:16 PM
That's lovely Holly, and I would say there is a touch of the English Romantics. :thumbsup:

I love canvas boards but ONLY after levellign them out a little with some Gesso coats and maybe a Colourfix coat too defending on how fine I want it.:)

hollyga
02-23-2010, 06:23 PM
Thanks - Bill, Pat & Lin! Actually, Pat, I did have some green showing behind the bridge - - until I started adding more color - now it sort of disappears, doesn't it. I don't know if I can go back and fix that or not - I may try. Even considering my frustrations with the sky, I had fun doing this one.

Thanks to RG for posting this one for one of this month's challenges!

Pat Isaac
02-23-2010, 06:42 PM
That's a good thing, Holly that you enjoyed doing it.

Pat

halthepainter
02-23-2010, 07:45 PM
Great job Holly. Love your sky and the warmth you worked into your greens.

pragash
02-24-2010, 04:39 AM
hi,

holly-love the lake and cloud reflections. nice colors

hal- thanks for your comments

pat- thankyou for your nice comments and suggestions

bill- thank you very much for your correction:eek: , i mended it and changed the background also. i am reposting for your comments.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2010/183483-WC-OP_FEB_challenge-revised.JPG

hollyga
02-24-2010, 07:19 AM
Thanks Hal and Pragash!

Pragash, I really like your update and your changes to the background really set the hands perfectly. I like it! :thumbsup:

Hal, Bill's comments on your version of the hands says it all - "saintly" as I said, didn't begin to describe it. :angel: :clap:

oldrockchick
02-24-2010, 09:38 AM
holly - the sky is marvellous!

Scarefishcrow
02-24-2010, 05:26 PM
PRAGASH: Nice job on the rework of the hands. Like your additions!

Bill

hi,

bill- thank you very much for your correction:eek: , i mended it and changed the background also. i am reposting for your comments.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2010/183483-WC-OP_FEB_challenge-revised.JPG

Kyra
02-25-2010, 02:48 PM
Hi!

Where do I paste/submit this work?

Pat Isaac
02-25-2010, 03:27 PM
Are you talking about work related to this challenge? If so, just post it here in this thread.

Pat

VladK
02-25-2010, 08:10 PM
Sandra and Pragash - great job on hands.
Holly, really nice landscape, I like the mood you've conveyed.

Here is what I managed to sketch. 9x12 charcoal paper, erengi and senns.

halthepainter
02-25-2010, 10:48 PM
Wonderful job Vlad.

VladK
02-25-2010, 11:41 PM
Thank you, Hal. How are you? Lot of snow? Here's just non-stop.

While I'm in the mood, there is my take on landscape. I tried this one without blending, impasto style, with little scgraffito for bridge and a house.
Senns and Erengi on 12x9 bluish charcoal paper. Also quick:wink2:

hollyga
02-26-2010, 06:58 AM
Vlad, great work on the hands! :clap: I really love this ref. but just knew I couldn't do it justice! You have handled it beautifully. Your landscape is great, too - love your purples in the sky and that you got the house in, too :clap: - another issue I knew I wouldn't handle well so I just left it out.

Thanks for your kind comment on my version.

Pat Isaac
02-26-2010, 08:11 AM
Wonderful sketches, Vlad. I especially like the hands. No snow here, we had rain for a change!

Pat

oldrockchick
02-26-2010, 09:06 AM
Beautifu;l work, as always Vlad... landscape is my favourite. (probably only because I have been looking at hands for a month) Lovely colours especially the sky.

robertsloan2
02-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Pragash, great finish on the hands. Well done!

Vlad, your hands came out beautiful too and so different. It looks like it's the lighting that's different, that's all, and your landscape rocks. Love the impasto effect in the landscape.

rsatish
02-27-2010, 09:25 AM
A bit too late I guess, but here is my version of the landscape. I couldn't do much justice to the lake and the land part. Any comments or critiques, I would love to here from you as thats how I can improvise on it.

Thankshttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Feb-2010/215875-P1010467.JPG
Ram

halthepainter
02-27-2010, 07:50 PM

While I'm in the mood, there is my take on landscape. I tried this one without blending, impasto style, with little scgraffito for bridge and a house.

Lovely work Vlad.

I just put a post in the gusher. I just got power back after 48 hours. We had 91 mile per hour gusts in the area: trees down, 300,000 without power, trucks blown over on the highways. Very little snow, it came in as torrential rains. Fortunately the worst winds hit after I gave Gus his last walk Thursday night. I had never heard wind noise like that here. I sure didn't want to be out there with limbs coming down as they did.

Pat Isaac
02-27-2010, 07:57 PM
Glad your power is back, Hal. We had big winds also and lost some big tree limbs in the yard, but not the power. You had it worse, I think.

Pat

hollyga
02-28-2010, 08:19 AM
Ram, I really like your dark, angry sky and the "dark day" surrounding land and water!

Holly :clap:

oldrockchick
02-28-2010, 03:17 PM
Pragash - I see you went for the blue surround too. Hands are good.

Ram - hello :wave: welcome to OP land. You will find us one big happy family here. why not come along and chat to us on The Oil Gusher about life, the universe and everything? Love your rendition of the landscape it has a cold murky atmosphere. Like being on the English Moors on a cold sumemrs day (yes I do mean summer- in Briatain it is like that). The sky looks so ominous.

oldrockchick
02-28-2010, 03:24 PM
Well here it is... FINISHED
At first you may see little difference to the last WIP. The photographic process can alter it a little. I added some final touches to the roses. Tidied the edges and did another coat on the hands to make the colours mor realistic and warmer. I added another layer to the ball too and tidied the edges. I also defined the fingers and covered up the dark shadows and lines to make the colours more realistic.

'Hands And Heart'
A2 Sugar paper direct.
(Not sure on archival quality but paper is lovely to work on)
DR undercoat some OMS on background, heart and shadows.
Neopastels next layers
Topped with Sennelier
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2010/179312-Hand_and_Heart_OP_Feb__2010_-_800_px.JPG

Now I need out how to store it. I dont' have a portfolio that large. I looked for a pre-cut mount that come in cellophane bags when in the shop that sells them., I thought I could store it in that with the mount card to keep it off the plastice a little. Unfortunatley they didn' go up to that size. I'm going to leave it on the board for a bit to set up.

Now just to see what March OP will bring us.

Thanks RG for hosting. I hope you like the answer to your challenge.

Pat Isaac
02-28-2010, 05:09 PM
Nicely done Ram. Do I sense a storm coming?
This is a wonderful finish, Lin.

Pat

truck driver
02-28-2010, 08:16 PM
Linn Great work as well as everybody else, later today I will get time to respond individually to all the partiicipants in this months challenge.

RG

halthepainter
02-28-2010, 09:47 PM
That's an incredible job Linn.

Neat work Ram.

halthepainter
02-28-2010, 10:46 PM
RG with the greatest reluctance I'm posting this image of your one of your challenges. I didn't want you to think I was slighting your challenge. I decided to make it a night scene. My print out of your image didn't seem to show the bridge. I didn't realize there were bridges until I saw holly's and Vlad's work and I got out my magnifying glass to see they were there.

I had trouble photographing this. The flash and other lighting left too much glare, so the actual painting is not actually this dark.

Any way here it is: Erengi on canvas panel, 11 by 14 inches.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2010/140488-lores_moonlight_lake.JPG

RG I just couldn't seem to cut out much time this month. I have an idea for your engine and if I develop it, I'll post it as a different thread.

robertsloan2
02-28-2010, 11:24 PM
Ram, your storm-swept scene is gorgeous. I love the sky and keeping the land and water simple pushes attention to it as the focal point. It really works without the bridge.

Hal, glad you got back inside before you got blown over! That sounds so rough. Your nocturne is so striking, yet another very different take on the same gorgeous reference. Even if the painting isn't as dark as the photo, it's probably still at least twilight-dark and so could be a nocturne. Lovely.

Lin, magnificent finish on Hands & Heart. I love the glow you gave the ball and the perfect skin tones on the hands, this is so polished now.

VladK
02-28-2010, 11:25 PM
Thank you Holly, Pat, Lin, and Robert for a feedback.
Lin, this is very beautiful work:clap:

Hal, glad you are okay:thumbsup: , and thank you for feedback.
I like your landscape very much, night is always a mystery :wink2:

Ram, nice windy landscape.

truck driver
03-01-2010, 02:26 AM
RG with the greatest reluctance I'm posting this image of your one of your challenges. I didn't want you to think I was slighting your challenge. I decided to make it a night scene. My print out of your image didn't seem to show the bridge. I didn't realize there were bridges until I saw holly's and Vlad's work and I got out my magnifying glass to see they were there.

I had trouble photographing this. The flash and other lighting left too much glare, so the actual painting is not actually this dark.

Any way here it is: Erengi on canvas panel, 11 by 14 inches.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2010/140488-lores_moonlight_lake.JPG

RG I just couldn't seem to cut out much time this month. I have an idea for your engine and if I develop it, I'll post it as a different thread.

Awesome work once again. You see I with this challenge I didnt want you all to do exactly what was in the photo. I wanted you to make it more than it was. You did exactly that Hal.

RG

truck driver
03-01-2010, 02:28 AM
Well here it is... FINISHED
At first you may see little difference to the last WIP. The photographic process can alter it a little. I added some final touches to the roses. Tidied the edges and did another coat on the hands to make the colours mor realistic and warmer. I added another layer to the ball too and tidied the edges. I also defined the fingers and covered up the dark shadows and lines to make the colours more realistic.

'Hands And Heart'
A2 Sugar paper direct.
(Not sure on archival quality but paper is lovely to work on)
DR undercoat some OMS on background, heart and shadows.
Neopastels next layers
Topped with Sennelier
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2010/179312-Hand_and_Heart_OP_Feb__2010_-_800_px.JPG

Now I need out how to store it. I dont' have a portfolio that large. I looked for a pre-cut mount that come in cellophane bags when in the shop that sells them., I thought I could store it in that with the mount card to keep it off the plastice a little. Unfortunatley they didn' go up to that size. I'm going to leave it on the board for a bit to set up.

Now just to see what March OP will bring us.

Thanks RG for hosting. I hope you like the answer to your challenge.

This is fantastic Linn. I love the hands, and what you have been able to accomplish with this reference. You nailed what I envisioned when I first saw this photo. Then you took it a few steps further.. its great..

RG

truck driver
03-01-2010, 02:30 AM
A bit too late I guess, but here is my version of the landscape. I couldn't do much justice to the lake and the land part. Any comments or critiques, I would love to here from you as thats how I can improvise on it.

Thankshttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Feb-2010/215875-P1010467.JPG
Ram

This is a great loose impressionistic version of this reference I love the clouds and the depth as well as the feel you have accomplished. As far as critique goes, remember that there are other colours involved in the clouds adding some purples to tone the grey would dramatically improve on the stormy nature of this.

RG

truck driver
03-01-2010, 02:31 AM

Nice impressionestic work Vlad, it looks great. I really like the bridge.

RG

truck driver
03-01-2010, 02:33 AM
Sandra and Pragash - great job on hands.
Holly, really nice landscape, I like the mood you've conveyed.

Here is what I managed to sketch. 9x12 charcoal paper, erengi and senns.

This is some great sketching especially with ops. You have great definition in a not easy by any means piece. The foreshortening in this is very tricky. You have done very well with it.

RG

truck driver
03-01-2010, 02:34 AM
hi,

There is a great loose feel to this while yet remaining tight in the lines of the hands very cool

RG

truck driver
03-01-2010, 02:35 AM

Holly this turned out Really Really nice. I'm glad you decided to do this.

RG

truck driver
03-01-2010, 02:37 AM

I love what you did with the hands especially the distortion this truly does have a saintly feel to it. Like it should be hanging in a church somewhere.

RG

truck driver
03-01-2010, 02:39 AM
Ideas please !

I love this crechat.. I really like the sky and the lake effect....

RG

truck driver
03-01-2010, 02:48 AM
Thanks to everybody for some great work, and encouragement. This was not an easy challenge nor was it meant to be. I promise I will finish the train. The problem has been something to put the train on. However a piece of 11 X 14 canvas board has somehow mysteriously appeared in my living room. As soon as I can get it covered with a couple more layers of acrylic polymer resin, transfer my train drawing to it, and cover it with a couple coats of fine pumice gel, we will get started on it.

I look forward to next month.. we shall see whats coming next..

RG

oldrockchick
03-01-2010, 07:35 AM
Hal - i'm loving your night scen - it is so atmospheric.

RG - Thanks

GOSH
03-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Thanks to everybody for some great work, and encouragement. This was not an easy challenge nor was it meant to be. I promise I will finish the train. The problem has been something to put the train on. However a piece of 11 X 14 canvas board has somehow mysteriously appeared in my living room. As soon as I can get it covered with a couple more layers of acrylic polymer resin, transfer my train drawing to it, and cover it with a couple coats of fine pumice gel, we will get started on it.

I look forward to next month.. we shall see whats coming next..

RG

"a piece of 11 X 14 canvas board has somehow mysteriously appeared in my living room"

:angel:

paul444
03-03-2010, 07:22 AM
Excellent paintings everyone, apologies for not participating this month.
I did start painting the train but it wasn't going very well and after several attempts to save it, it somehow managed to get ripped up and thrown in the bin. :lol:
Will try harder this month. Honest :rolleyes: :lol:

marionh
03-06-2010, 07:36 AM
Good work everyone. Those hands are so well done - they were definitely out of my comfort zone.
I went for the landscape, cropped and a little bit of licence. After taking the picture I can see a few areas that need touching up - like the underside of the dark cloud. I feel it lacks a focal point - any suggestions?

This is 22x30cm on the reverse side of ingress 150 gm, grey/beigy paper not a colour I am enamoured with but I've had this paper for ever and decided it was time to use up paper instead of stock piling it:D . I was surprised at how well I liked this surface and how good it took the layers of pastel. I've never liked the results on this paper with soft pastel.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Mar-2010/42113-distantshorelandscape_800x600.JPG

C&Cs welcome

Pat Isaac
03-06-2010, 08:28 AM
Just lovely, Marion. Beautiful reflections.

Pat

marionh
03-07-2010, 12:05 PM
Thanks Pat.