PDA

View Full Version : Vinster

OkeeKat
01-31-2010, 11:27 PM
Hello all!!
I know sorry, you probably were expection a vintage car of something like that.

Well this little guy Vinnie" was our Companion for 13 of his 15 years, we lost him to a severe heart condition this past September.
The last two and a half years he was a big brother to our little YorkiePoo we brought home at the age of 4 months.. and had taught him all of his good and bad habits.

We often called Vinnie "Vinster".
Already having a 9 yr old poodle, Pierre, thinking as he was a maltese we had to come up with an italian name and my son thought of.. Pierre's Cousin Vinnie.. so thats how he got his name!!
We adopted him at a PetSmart, no one wanted to adopt him as his hip was broken and frozen up against his body, so he hopped on 3 legs, did pretty well too. We had it repaired a few months after and you would never know he ever had a broken hip after a few months!! Pierre shortly after develped Lymph cancer and went to the rainbow bridge... but he had already taught Vinnie his good and bad habits.

I wanted to paint a portrait of a dog during a show yesterday as I shared a booth with the Humane Society in town to try to help support them.
I started this last week, but only did the underpainting and background.
Most of the painting was done yesterday during the show.
Finished it today!!

8x10" on Staplebacked canvas with painted sides.
will be my private collection!
Sorry not too many inbetween photos.
ENJOY!

Photo of Vinnie(onright) and Piper(Left, our 3 yr old yorkiepoo)

Reference photo for this portrait:
he did have very bad cataracts.

Sketch:

Underpainting"

3/4 done:

FINSIHED PAINTING.... next thread...

OkeeKat
01-31-2010, 11:31 PM
FINAL PAINTING Of our Beloved Vinnie aka "VINSTER"

ENJOY!!!

Closeup of his face:

Believe it or not... there are alot of layers of paint on his fur.. I do paint very thinly but many layers, still show the weave of the canvas.. even though I did gesso and sand it a few times.. probably in this case only 2-3 times.

More I look at this, more teary eyed I get, he surely did have alot of love!!
Don't they all!!
Have fun at the Rainbow Bridge Vinster, Hope you meet up with Pierre!!

RPut
01-31-2010, 11:47 PM
Just Precious! You did a wonderful job and will always have this to remember him! I'm so glad I got to meet him IRL!!

OkeeKat
01-31-2010, 11:51 PM
OHHH Thank You Ruthie!!
Thats right you did meet him last year, I'm glad too!
Yes, I will cherish this always!!
Thanks!

Zena
02-01-2010, 12:24 AM
AWESOME Kath! You did unbelievable justice in this painting of dear Vinnie! He was such a precious baby! God Bless him! Hugz,Jan

OkeeKat
02-01-2010, 01:19 AM
THANK YOU SO MUCH Jan!!! your so sweet! ((HUGS))

Lulu
02-01-2010, 04:46 AM
what a delightful expression you have captured Kathie!!
I painted one of my dachshunds following his death too and it was very healing.

btw had never heard of a yorkiepoo!
Aren't dogs wonderful?!

OkeeKat
02-01-2010, 10:10 AM
THANK YOU Lulu, it Realy did help, now he's not just in my heart but with me always, near me as he used to be by my feet every minute.

Hehehe,my little baby Piper... his momma was a little poodle and his dad a yorkie, think only thing about him that is yorkie is his brown nose and his hair on his back when long you can see the corse brown hairs in between. and brown hairs around his eyes.

Artchrispy
02-01-2010, 10:16 AM
Great likeness Kathie! Sorry about your loss.

noodle1
02-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Turned out great Kathie. You can see the love in his eyes and from your hand.
Beautiful!!

Hugs,
Elaine

Ms.Understood
02-01-2010, 11:44 AM
The Vinster sure is a dashing looking chap! You captured him well. We lost a pet in the fall. It is such a hard thing to go through, they are so much a part of the family. So sorry for your loss.

purplepansey
02-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Kathie, I love Vinster's face, it's adorable and you've painted him beautifully.

Taddybigs
02-01-2010, 12:07 PM
You did a beautiful job on Vinster! What a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing it!

susme48
02-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Nice finish...wonderful memory!

OkeeKat
02-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Chris, THANK YOU!
Elaine, thanks, awww you are wayy too kind .. sniff.. sniff. Thanks yes was done with love.
Jenny ,Thank you, it is very hard and I'm also sorry for your loss too, it does help to paint them, as they are with you always now, not just in your heart.
Shrl, THANK YOU!
Taddybigs, thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it too!
Susan, Thank you very much!

thanks again my friends, I do appreciate all of the wonderful and thoughtful comments, so much!
:heart:

texana6
02-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Oh Kathie, this is so good! You've captured so much personality in the tilt of his head.

OkeeKat
02-01-2010, 10:51 PM
THANK YOU so much Linda!

aspenman
02-01-2010, 10:56 PM
Wonderful painting Kathie - Great job.

OkeeKat
02-02-2010, 02:20 AM
THANK YOU Dick, I realy appreciate it!

LavenderFrost
02-02-2010, 12:29 PM
An adorable portrait! Such a sweet face.

Charlie's Mum
02-02-2010, 01:10 PM
Awwwww Kathie - there's not a dry eye in the house - brings it all back!

He's lovely - nice way to remember him too.:)

OkeeKat
02-02-2010, 09:31 PM
THank you soooooo very much Michelle and Maureen.
...sniff...sniff.. yes so true. thanks.

Aires
02-02-2010, 11:36 PM
You have portrayed Vinster in a way that makes me smile, you just know he coudl be a "delightful begger" with those eyes trained on you! Makes me grieve again for the precious fuzzy family member we lost far too early but also reminds me of the love and warmth they bring into our lives. I love your painting, both dogs deserved to have their picture shared on WC!

gaykir
02-03-2010, 12:15 AM
What a cutie!

dances_with_oils
02-03-2010, 01:54 AM
Kathie, got to give you credits for even trying this portrait. The ones of Sport and Beauty still remain a huge issue for me to attempt as I still bawl my eyes out. The backgrounds however, are coming along nicely as they seem to be where I can focus...lol.

Good job on the little guy.

OkeeKat
02-03-2010, 08:46 AM
Aires, THank you, ohh yes he was definately a "Delightful begger"!!ohhh the stories I could tell!! Thanks soo much!!

Gayle, THank you very much!

Belle!
thank you, it was difficult at times when especially when I stood back and really looked at it.. but during the painting, concentrating on one section at a time, it was easier. I believe it realy helped, more I talked about the past eased the pain more. now he is with me at all times, not just in my heart. It will get a little better with time, I think. ((HUGS)), Remember the offer stil holds to do their portrait for you.