PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Cake Top - xpost in floral

nurciuoli
01-31-2010, 10:38 PM
Hi all :wave:
Recently painted this for a different web site's photo challenge. I am pretty happy with it - but welcome any C&C. I have a hard time with the roses, and would like to make them "pop" a bit more (I struggle with reds, I don't know why). This is on 9x12 canvas sheet. Thanks for looking. - Nan

OkeeKat
01-31-2010, 11:48 PM
Beautiful Nan!!
maybe make tour highlughts a lirrle brighter on the edges might help,will see what the flower experts say!!
Love this!!

nurciuoli
02-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Thanks Kathie. I now realize that the roses do stand out against all the whites. So far the comments in the floral section are in favor so I'm a bit more relaxed. I have it on the wall where i'll study it for a bit. I do that often when I'm not sure if I want to make any changes. I call it my "think about it" wall. LOL. Thanks again. - Nan

plec
02-02-2010, 04:10 AM
nice piece Nancie, i think the composition is good ,with just enough detail to give interest and engage the viewer, I would like to see a little more colour in the white of the cake icing,
Ken.

LavenderFrost
02-02-2010, 12:25 PM
Very pretty!

Charlie's Mum
02-02-2010, 01:20 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2010/30494-Nancie.jpg

Nan - I made this into greyscale to look at the tones - just to do some thinking!!

I think Ken is on the right lines about the white being too bright and making it 'bottom-heavy' - takes the eye there a little too much!

The roses are good - they are strong tones - but is the b/g also too strong a blue perhaps?

The flowers themselves are well painted - no probs with the roses!

Some darker tones on parts of the top buds might help against the blue and balance the strong tones of the reds.

I'm a bit concerned about the imbalance at the bottom where the cake seems to fall away - as if it's on a slope.

Hope the points to ponder help!! :)

nurciuoli
02-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Thank you everyone for your feedback! Ken & Maureen - I agree with the white of the cake being too much. I noticed that when I took the photo - amazing what the camera sees that my eyes don't. Maureen - the slope you are seeing I think is my photo, the original doesn't look quite so severe. And Sue sent me a message with a sample she made up, with the background green rather than blue. Green would offset the reds more, but I wanted a blue. Maureen, I think you are right about it being too strong of a blue.

So I have a bit of work to do on this, which is why it's been taped to my 'think about it' wall. LOL. Thanks for the greyscale version, gives me a bit more to study.

- Nan