PDA

View Full Version : Peace Lily

RPut
01-31-2010, 10:18 PM
Hi Everyone,

I needed to do something smaller and bit more simple. Also, am thinking of a colleague who lost her dad last week and think I will give this to her as a rememberance. And may need to do two more for other colleagues for their losses this year too.

Critiques and comments welcome before I varnish.
Thank you!

8 x 10
Canvas panel

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2010/117502-IMG_5984.JPG

tonyjazz
01-31-2010, 10:30 PM
Beautifully done, simple and elegant. Great gift......

RPut
01-31-2010, 10:44 PM
Thank you Tony.

Also, I forgot to mention this is from RIL. Thank you to Melia126

OkeeKat
01-31-2010, 10:54 PM
Very beautiful, simple but with soooo much meaning and I'm sure it will be greatly appreciated.
Great work Ruthie!!

Zena
01-31-2010, 11:06 PM
BEAUTIFUL Ruth! Hugz,Jan

Marilyn Speck Ballard
01-31-2010, 11:22 PM
It is beautiful, but if I may offer a suggestion; I would like to see a highlight of pure white on the crest of the curves of the blossom, and just a bit on the leaves to show of the waxy look some species have, and give them more depth.
I'm sure your gift will be well received.
Marilyn

~~Kathleen
01-31-2010, 11:58 PM
Of all the flowers I have painted, I found the Peace lily the hardest.
You have made this look so easy Ruth!
Thanks for sharing a beautifully well done rendition of this flower.

susme48
02-01-2010, 02:49 AM
Wow Ruthie!!! You are really turning out some gorgeous pieces!!! Love it!!

Lulu
02-01-2010, 04:49 AM
Very elegant. I agree with Marilyn's suggestion, would just finish it off nicely.

noodle1
02-01-2010, 10:33 AM
Ruthie you did a beautiful piece here, wonderfully painted. I do agree with Mariyln's suggestion just to put it over the edge, but the comp is simple and stunning as is. I'm sure it will be treasured by your colleague.

Elaine

RPut
02-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Thank yous to Everyone! And thank you for your suggestions. I DID go along the edges with a clean white. But you're right it needs a bit more. Maybe a thicker layer will help. Or maybe a light glaze to tint the white of the overall flower and then try the edges with more white......

Thank you!

purplepansey
02-01-2010, 11:56 AM
Ruthie it's lovely and I"m sure they will love this painting. Well done. Wish I could do flowers but I seem to get lost in the petals. xxxshrl

Taddybigs
02-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Beautiful painting!

gaykir
02-01-2010, 12:51 PM
Lovely!

aspenman
02-01-2010, 12:55 PM
Beautiful work - BRAVO!

Ms.Understood
02-01-2010, 11:58 PM
I never can seem to get the white white enough either. Is there a special white I don't know about???

Anyhow, the background is so softly focused and such a lovely color green. The flower itself is just lovely as well as the thought and intention behind the piece.

RPut
02-02-2010, 10:08 AM
Thanks again to ALL and for all your kind words.
I did a slight tinted wash over the flower and tried to whiten the edges. Sprayed a finish on it and I think that helps the white to pop a bit more.

Jenny, I have wondered about whites too. I cannot find a ZINC white in our local HL. If anyone comes around here again,
would this be a better white for those really white spots that we need sometimes? Just wondering.

Thanks again!

Marilyn Speck Ballard
02-02-2010, 10:22 AM
Perfect!!!
Now YOU can rest PEACEfully, and be pleased, knowing you have created such a lovely work of art for your friend.

Marilyn

debee
02-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Lovely work and I'm sure it will be a treasured gift!

noodle1
02-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Hi Ruthie, Zinc white is not going to give you the cover, it's a semi-transparent white that produces brilliant color mixtures, not ash like when colors are mixed with Titanium. It produces very cold color mixtures, great however for hazes and atmospheric fogs etc. as just a layering wash over. Titanium is your opaque white. Old Holland makes and Extra Opaque white as well.

I tend to mix my base whites with just a very little bit of another color to end up with almost an eggshell color or off white, it can include blues, umbers, yellows or even some reds in very very small proportions and will show as white but then the opaque whites will stand out against that them. But there are so many variations of whites other then just pure white for play against one another, sometimes it's just worth mixing a few and making yourself a kind of cheat sheet..LOL with the mixes of white that work better then pure white as your primary background color. Just play and see what works for you, this is just me.

Hugs,
Elaine

LavenderFrost
02-02-2010, 12:10 PM
Lovely painting!