GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Moms and Sons
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 22x28
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I think I want to put my signature on it...

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I never know when to stop. There's always something I'm not completely happy about. I consider most of my paintings unfinished but I can't muster up the energy to return to them. Is this finished? Can anyone offer suggestions about finishing criteria?

TScottDove
09-16-2002, 02:38 AM
For me, there is just a moment that says "stop." I usually feel it coming, sensing I am near completion, but still, almost suddenly, something says "done." To someone else, the "before" that moment, versus the "after," might be imperceptible, but I am always unsatisfied if I go against it.

Regarding your piece: I like this a lot - beautiful color, and light and shadow especially, but something about the composition disturbs me. The even spacing of the figures coupled with the pseudo-forced perspective created by the tops of their heads (not to mention the sharp angles of the blanket) draws me right to the center of the painting, but there's nothing there. If one of those little guys was shifted, just a bit...

jerryW
09-16-2002, 02:43 AM
it was finished and spectacular last time.
now it is a bit too real for me
can you regain innocence?
hmm.
been almost there
never done quite that.
still a beauty.

finally I convinced my father-in-law that I am not an enlargement service for photographs.

mattlart
09-16-2002, 12:16 PM
T Scott Dove does have a valid point....There IS no Obvious focal point,......as the figures are all painted with similar attention to detail,..and I too wander throughout the painting without stopping for TOO long and, at times.......ending up in the center.

BUT,..it's painted so beautifully,...with such a celebration of warm sunlight,...and just-the-right color choices, that hey!;..I say ...leave it alone;...it's an amazing painting!

Maybe,..on another piece like this ome, you may want to intentionally design your focal point early in the process,..and "mellow out" the other subordinate areas. Damn,.I'm being 'technical' this morning....;) A great piece,..congratulations

meiwun
09-16-2002, 12:42 PM
i can feel a good sunny afternoon, a warm and comfortable piece.

espeically like the sunlight and quilt in the middle.

iyoung
09-16-2002, 03:39 PM
I think the spacing of the figures & the rest spot in the center isthe central point & what makes the piece. Seems to be saying something profound about relationships - in an Alex Katz kinda way. Visited you web site - that mother one does the same. You seem to really have something new and observant to say. Nifty.

Aside: why does it seem that precisely the thing one person thinks is wrong with a piece is sometimes precisely the thing I think is right with the piece? I never post in here unless that happens, then feel compelled...

I

http://www.ileneyoung.com

jerryW
09-16-2002, 07:23 PM
yup gorgeous.
leave it.
lovely

mcknight
09-16-2002, 10:41 PM
TScottDove, thanks a lot for your insights and critique! I'm striving to bring my painting approach to the point where I can sense the "stop" moment. Right now, I generally lack that deliberateness.

I understand your search for the missing entity - something to focus on in the center of the painting. My intention is for the group as a whole to be that entity and I don't want to draw attention to or from any particular subject. As Ilene observed, relationships are central to this image, however most relationships are uncomfortably intangable.

Dave

mcknight
09-16-2002, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by jerryW
it was finished and spectacular last time.
now it is a bit too real for me
can you regain innocence?
hmm.
been almost there
never done quite that.
still a beauty.

finally I convinced my father-in-law that I am not an enlargement service for photographs.

Hi Jerry. It hasn't changed all that much since you first saw it. Besides a few facial details, the main difference is that I took this digital picture of it when the paint was dry. I honestly feel that I haven't corrupted it :) In person, at least, it doesn't look like a photograph.

What did it take to convince your father-in-law?

Dave

mcknight
09-16-2002, 10:53 PM
mattlart, thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you like it!

meiwun, thanks.

mcknight
09-16-2002, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by iyoung
I think the spacing of the figures & the rest spot in the center isthe central point & what makes the piece. Seems to be saying something profound about relationships - in an Alex Katz kinda way. Visited you web site - that mother one does the same. You seem to really have something new and observant to say. Nifty.

Aside: why does it seem that precisely the thing one person thinks is wrong with a piece is sometimes precisely the thing I think is right with the piece? I never post in here unless that happens, then feel compelled...

Ilene, I have to congratulate you for so boldly stepping in! Thanks so much for your acute perceptions and your righteousness.

Usually the technical aspects are high on my mind, but I do try to express artistically. I'll withhold my own semantic statements about the relationships in this work as I find words are too messy and sometimes more exact than I want them to be.

Thanks,
Dave

mcknight
09-16-2002, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by jerryW
yup gorgeous.
leave it.
lovely

...just need to add the signature.

puzzlinon
09-17-2002, 03:56 AM
I really like the layout of the people and the way the figures on the left are looking at the figures on the right looking at us... with the blanket holding them all together.

For me, the yellow-green of the grass is overpowering all that. It's a great treatment of sun-drenched (overwatered suburban carpet ;-) grass, but it seems a bit out of key with this image to me. Weaving in some whited out pale earths or something like that might calm it down and make it more comfortable with the rest of the surface.

mcknight
09-17-2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by puzzlinon
I really like the layout of the people and the way the figures on the left are looking at the figures on the right looking at us... with the blanket holding them all together.

For me, the yellow-green of the grass is overpowering all that. It's a great treatment of sun-drenched (overwatered suburban carpet ;-) grass, but it seems a bit out of key with this image to me. Weaving in some whited out pale earths or something like that might calm it down and make it more comfortable with the rest of the surface.

Thanks for looking and responding. Apart from the fact that the grass is that green in the reference photo, I want to convey that the grass is quite green "on this side of the fence". It's actually brighter than it should be in this image because it's reflecting my camera flash (my digital camera can hardly pick up any light without using the flash), although it's still quite strong in the painting.

Dave