PDA

View Full Version : 'nother damn FROG!!

crumbedbrains
09-14-2002, 07:19 PM
Hey all,
Yep, I can't help myself . .people love frogs 'round here and everyone keeps giving me great ref pics (free of copyright hassles!). So . . . with the risk of getting type-cast I thought I'd post a progress shot. No commentary . . just the photos.

Fisrt . .the ref pic that was given to me:

crumbedbrains
09-14-2002, 07:28 PM
. . and here's what I'm gonna do with it . . dunno where the composition all comes from . .kinda just spurts outta this head . .Hope it'll turn out ok
Sorry 'bout the blurry photo.

crumbedbrains
09-14-2002, 07:32 PM
here's a close up . . .everything is mostly in blocking in stage around the frog . .just trying to be more "painterly" in this one with regards the root in the background (YES . . there's a background!!). . . . and trying to be more of a colourist for a change (using the complimentary reds and greens). Never done this before so it may be interesting. Pretty quick one for me so far . . this is about 7-8 hrs.
Cheers
Crumby

chookbrown
09-14-2002, 07:39 PM
Looks like another masterpiece in the making dear Crumbed one!!! I'll be looking forward to the progress pics. I remember those big 'ol roots on the trees in the Daintree!! Aaaaaahhh, I can smell it now...........

Terrific stuff!!

Chooky!!:D :D :D

KarenU
09-14-2002, 08:01 PM
This one's looking mighty fine Crumby....those colors are marvelous! Can't wait to see how it goes :D

Mo.
09-14-2002, 08:05 PM
Hi Crumby, Your frog looks like he has a hangover :)
I like your style so very much, looking forward to the progress on this one.

cheers,
Mo.

crumbedbrains
09-14-2002, 08:26 PM
Thanks all,
Yeah Mo . . does look like he/she is very hungover . . looks just like somone I know at the moment . . . mmmmmmm . .wonder who THAT could be???? he he ;)
Cheers
Crumby

AriadneArts
09-14-2002, 08:33 PM
Looks very promising, Crumb. I like what you've done with the comp and the background so far.

Joee
09-14-2002, 11:06 PM
nice detail and receding background. Looks like a photo. Nice work

-Joe-

Wes Hyde
09-15-2002, 01:57 AM
Nice! It looks so wet. I like it a lot.

Wes

crumbedbrains
09-15-2002, 02:06 AM
Thanks for looking Joee and Wes,
Well Moving along slowly here . . thought I'd take a phot before it got dark. Here's today's progression but should still get more done tonight.
Cheers
Crumby
:)

crumbedbrains
09-15-2002, 02:07 AM
and the close up . .where most of the work today has been

jackiesimmonds
09-15-2002, 02:15 AM
smashing! I love the way the curve of the leaf echoes the curve of the frog's back.

Jackie

Wes Hyde
09-15-2002, 03:26 AM
This is awesome, Crumb. The eye is amazing and those shadows are just fantastic.

Wes

ainsy
09-15-2002, 03:37 AM
Awesome Crumby,
love your use of complimentary colours in this one. As per usual your detail and rendering is superb.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

AINSY
:D :D

maverick
09-15-2002, 10:57 AM
Well Crumby, you're a master at improvising backgrounds. What an imagination! In the ref pic, it looks like the frog is sitting on a block of wood (in an aquarium?) I wonder if the frog is dreaming of this very thing!

AriadneArts
09-15-2002, 12:16 PM
Just beautiful, Crumb! I'm sooooo glad you finally painted in that eye! LOL! It's interesting how differently people work. My habit is to paint the eyes pretty much at the beginning--for me, it brings the painting to life. So I kept waiting for that eye, Hehe. I'm NOT AT ALL suggesting you do the same--the way you work is really working for you. This is a winner, for sure.

sundiver
09-15-2002, 02:01 PM
I've been ooo-ing and ahh-ing all the way down this thread. Your frogs are so beautiful (even if hung over); keep painting them and we'll keep loving them! :D

crumbedbrains
09-15-2002, 04:49 PM
Thanks for looking everyone . .and for all the nice comments . . progress is going to slow down a bit now . . MONDAY! . .ack!
Cheers
Crumby

ceEllicott
09-15-2002, 05:05 PM
ah well of course you know this is stunning and awesome and incredible. Who would expect anything else?

But I must say my neck is getting a crink because it's slightly too heavy on the left side. Perhaps a little more interest on the right side for balance would be in order?

but of course you are the one with the vision and I have faith that it will be great when you are done.

cheryl

crumbedbrains
09-15-2002, 05:36 PM
Yeah Cheryl,
Agree
Working left to right on this one (I think that's what real pastelists do . .or is it top to bottom? mmmmm). . gonna be vines/leaves/moss etc on the right to give it balance.
I'm a bit slow! lol
Cheers
Crumby :)

Redsy333
09-15-2002, 05:45 PM
My Gawdddd Man...which part of the crumbled brain do you use to create such FA- NOMINAL works???? I am sooo dayummm jealous!
Okay, anyone know where I can get a brain crumbler??? lol
I love it, and waiting for next one to snatch a fly in outta the air:D

crumbedbrains
09-15-2002, 05:46 PM
Just realised who it looks like . .Dame Edna Everidge!!
LOL
Crumby

chookbrown
09-15-2002, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by crumbedbrains
LOL
Crumby

Crumby, Dame Edna NEVER looked this good!!!

Cheers,

Chook:D

Drumbeat-trish
09-16-2002, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by crumbedbrains
LOL
Crumby

Now you're getting silly crumby - lay off the beers ;)

But yeah like they all said -great background great frog -crebbit:D

*heads to the library to research possible meanings of frog fetishes* ;)

TeAnne
09-16-2002, 10:24 PM
Well you do live in 'Cane Toad Territory' after all :evil: Beautiful work Crumbles. :clap: :clap: :clap:

olika
09-17-2002, 06:40 AM
Great stuff, Crumby! Up to your usual standards :D Have you posted your picture of the cockatoos somewhere? I would love to see it.

LadyPearl
09-17-2002, 08:32 AM
I really enjoyed your last frog piece. But Iím really loveín this one. I like the composition better in this one. As I imagine you do as well seeing that you had a problem with the last one. Love your work. Always a joy!

Jakeally
09-17-2002, 10:45 AM
Excellent work Crumby...he looks soooo slippery. These frogs are just delightful...no wonder you love to paint them:D :clap: :clap:

crumbedbrains
09-18-2002, 09:55 AM
Ok enough of the silliness and the idle banter . . I should be painting!

I'm going away until the 29th and probably won't post again until further progres is made early in October.

Thanks again for looking everyone and for the comments. Olika, I should be able to post the cockatoos on my return (sorting out copyright issues at the mo . .that's why you've probably only seen part of the painting or a small indistinguishable one)

So this is the last post for a couple of weeks . .thought I'd better show that I haven't spent all my time in the chat room. Here's an update . .very slow going. Have finished the frogs feet . .which seemed to take forever. . . but still to do his throat (which also takes a lieftime). Have put a few bits of lichen & moss scattered around. There will probably be some form of grassy/leafy plant in front of the nearby root so even this little area is far from complete.

Sorry about the quality of photo as this was taken late at night with a lamp in one hand and a very unsteady flat-batteried camera in the other.

I'm getting worried now 'cause this painting MUST be finished by 10th October . .eeeeek!

Cheers
See you when I get back
Crumby

maverick
09-18-2002, 10:21 AM
The depth you've created is amazing. It really looks 3D. This is something I have to get better at. You're a natural.

chookbrown
09-18-2002, 04:25 PM
Crumby, this is coming together very nicely. We will be looking forward to a new update after your return. Have a great vacation!!!

Cheers,

Chooky:D :D :D

olika
09-19-2002, 06:17 AM
Looking forward to seeing you back :D

backspin
09-19-2002, 05:15 PM
boy, do you guys have cool frogs in Autralia! I love him & I especially like the big roots. He's saying, 'I made it all the way to the top of this thing & I'm too tired to move!' Frogs are very popular here (U.S.) right now too.

crumbedbrains
10-02-2002, 10:41 AM
Thanks for looking everyone and for the kind comments.
Haven't got too far coz I've been away but thought I'd post the minimal progress since I've been back. Sorry about the quality of photo . . it's reeeeally blurry . . . taken using a flash a 12:30pm!!! I'll take a better one next time . . . geeeeez I gotta get some sleep!
Anyway . .here goes.
Cheers
Crumby

crumbedbrains
10-02-2002, 10:42 AM
and here's the wider view to show I've done nothing else!! LOL

edencompton
10-02-2002, 10:45 AM
Fabulous, Crumby! I can't believe how realistic you can get your frogs! I really like the colors in the tree roots on this one.

chookbrown
10-02-2002, 10:47 AM
It's looking really nice Crumby....I like the way you have carried the color from behind the frog to the front with the introduction of that new leaf etc. Gives it a nice complete look.

Keep at it...

Colleen :D

GeraldineNesbitt
10-02-2002, 10:56 AM
What fantastic work!!

TeAnne
10-02-2002, 11:11 AM
*sigh* Such breath taking work. :clap: :clap:

crumbedbrains
10-05-2002, 03:46 AM
Ok . . trying to have a productive day here.

Actually getting some painting in!! LOL

Here's the latest update . . . I've basically finished froggy, added more lichen, leaves at the base and done the prepartion for a grassy plant between the roots (hopefully this one will give it more depth).

Unfortunately this is becoming a rush job for the gallery . . looking a bit too "cartoonish" for mine but it'll be good enough . .won't go down as "one o' me best" though . . . still it should still sell OK.

Cheers
Crumby

chookbrown
10-05-2002, 08:04 AM
Arrrrr....there's a spider..........!!!

Seriously, Crumby this is moving along nicely.....don't go hurrying it, let them wait for you man.......you are not a machine you are a creative being and as such are entitled to be eccentric and tell them all sorts of thing about your creative process and how it can't be rushed.....

Looking good...

Chook :)

Redsy333
10-05-2002, 09:42 AM
Are you sure bout that Chook:confused: I didnt think he was human to produce such beautiful works!!:D:D:D
Keep up the good work!

katz
10-05-2002, 07:11 PM
Excellant Job. I like the way the frog's toes look, very luminescent.
Nice background.

Katz