PDA

View Full Version : Sharing the Shade

Marilyn Speck Ballard
01-28-2010, 10:55 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jan-2010/35425-Cowboy__paintings_066-1.jpg

Acrylic, 11 x 14 , canvas board

Resource photo taken of the horses and cattle,separated by a fence, cooling under a large shade tree in Osage County, Oklahoma.

The painting's colors did not come through accurately. This has a weird green glow, with a blue green sky. :confused: I had used a soft hue of ultra marine blue, and the shadows in the foreground are deep, almost black in places. Strange.
The livestock are about right. Would a smaller image have transferred with better results?

Marilyn

Mz_Sketch_Pad
01-29-2010, 07:24 AM
i love the scene... and the color scheme

OkeeKat
01-29-2010, 11:15 AM
Beautiful!!! I just love the details on the animals and the colors in your tree and background, Love it!

gaykir
01-29-2010, 11:43 AM
I like this a lot though I think it needs more contrast. Certainly with that title I expected to see some bright areas as well as dark - this seems to lack much tonal range. I think it might be a fairly easy fix if you are just brave enough to do it! It may just be the photo though.

LavenderFrost
01-29-2010, 11:53 AM
Very nice! The red thing in the tree is a little distracting to me though.

Photographing paintings can be very tricky. I have often seen my blues turn more to turquoise. Lights and darks can often be fixed by adjusting the levels with Photoshop or Gimp.

objectivistartist
01-29-2010, 12:20 PM
This any better?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2010/44482-35425-Cowboy__paintings_066-1a.jpg

noodle1
01-29-2010, 01:12 PM
I think this is a wonderful composition and you painted it very well. I like your cardinal in the branches..teehee.

If you have a program such as Photoshop you can balance your colors in there. I played with it a bit but since I can't see the original it's hard to say, but the green has been reduced as well as the blue and darkened a bit..
any closer to what you're seeing?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2010/139027-redone-photo.jpg

Nicely done!
Elaine

Marilyn Speck Ballard
01-30-2010, 12:17 AM
Hi, all! I'm glad I popped in. I had not received notice of any responses yet, and I do love to get "mail"! I was beginning to feel a little sad.
Thank you Lori, Kathie, Gayle,Lavender Frost, Robert, and Elaine, for you comments and helps. I like the results you have gotten with the photo workshops. I have been working on the painting and I have put more sunshine in it, Gayle, and better details in the foreground. The cardinal has a story of its own , and appears in most all of my landscapes, and my friends look for it in all of my Christmas cards. A great artist once said he always put a little bit of red in all of his paintings. I have hopes. : )
As soon as I can photograph it, I will post it again. I wait for sunshine to take advantage of natural light. It is better.

Thanks again,
Marilyn

arl
01-30-2010, 07:31 AM
I love the composition.

Marilyn Speck Ballard
01-30-2010, 07:02 PM
I worked on the painting, tried to upload here, via quick links, but it doesn't appear. How do you insert it along with your reply? Couldn't find an answer in helps.
Marilyn

LavenderFrost
01-31-2010, 11:57 AM
Start by clicking the blue Post Reply button. Then use the Insert Image button, the yellow one with the mountains on it.

Lady Carol
01-31-2010, 12:39 PM
We are a bit of a slow forum at times Marilyn. Don't despair, we do get around to commenting. This is a lovely painting. You certainly packed a lot into a little piece. Well done.

Marilyn Speck Ballard
01-31-2010, 03:31 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2010/35425-DSC05263-2.JPG

Eureca! It worked! Thank you !

The blue sky is nearer the blue I painted. Maybe because I reduced the size? I added more sunshine and contrast in the grass, also deeper shadow and details in the foreground.
Thanks for your help.

Marilyn

lilbelle
01-31-2010, 03:40 PM
The tree looks a lot sunnier now and I love the bird you added to the fence post! I also really like the forground grasses, well done!

Marilyn Speck Ballard
01-31-2010, 07:33 PM
Thank you, Libelle, for your comments. and a special thanks to Lavender Frost for additional posting instructions. Things have changed a bit since I posted last.

I always see something else I missed after I have the image uploaded. I forgot to replace the barbed wire. These horses might be wandering out in the road, thinking it's open range now. :D
If you look closely, there's another little Black Capped Chick-a-Dee, camouflaged, and left of the right front fence post.

Marilyn

AirTodd
01-31-2010, 08:04 PM
Nice looking work.

Marilyn Speck Ballard
01-31-2010, 10:09 PM
We are a bit of a slow forum at times Marilyn. Don't despair, we do get around to commenting. This is a lovely painting. You certainly packed a lot into a little piece. Well done.

Thank you, Carol, for replying and for your comments.
When I get started on a painting, I don't seem to know when to quit with the details.
I really admire the looseness of impressionism. I need to squint my eyes more and use a longer handled brush.:wink2:

Marilyn