GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Sunflowers in Glass Pitcher
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Pastel
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 12 x 16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Set up on a small porch step. Directly behind the sunflowers is a landing area and a door. Sun is setting behind the viewer.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any comments on the composition, color choices, and how I've handled the shadows. I would also like any thoughts on the sunflower petals. Are they impressionistic or just sloppy looking?

Other comments are welcome too.

madster
09-14-2002, 07:38 PM
There is not enough contrast on the left side as viewed, leading to the petals looking more "sloppy" than impressionistic. VanGogh overcame this through sheer paint volume, making each petal separate through heavy impasto.

Your best solution would be to lightly outline the petals with a brown line, very thin.

The large blue shape in the background is somewhat confusing. Is it shadow? But you have black shadows. Is is a secondary shadow? Still too blue...no real suggestions here, just that is needs something to give the eye an indication of what is been observed. Unless of course, this is an abstract, at which point none of this is relevant.

It is a very bright work, though!
Have a great day,
Madster

jerryW
09-14-2002, 11:36 PM
a stunning flatness that many would die for in poster design.
good impact from a distance and pleasant ro review. something odd about the colors but they really do work.
signature may be oversize.

maverick
09-15-2002, 05:15 PM
Thanks! This really helps.