PDA

View Full Version : Man, oh, Man (an experiment)

Peanut Butter
01-27-2010, 12:34 PM
I wanted to make a 3-D painting and having no idea really how to do that, this was a learning experience for me. I started with a prepared panel. On it I used texture paste to sculpt the man. After it dried, I filled in the cracks, let that dry, then painted it.

What I learned: Texture paste will crack if it is applied too thickly! Next time, I will build it up slowly instead of glopping it on all at once.

I also wish I would have sanded down his face before I painted it. The rough texture made it really hard to get any kind of smooth transition or shading on his face.

Anyway, here he is. I thought at first that he looked really kind of creepy, but he is growing on me and I like him more all the time!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jan-2010/70245-resized_2.jpg

noodle1
01-27-2010, 06:57 PM
I think the concept is a cool one, not sure I'd know how to approach it either.
I don't do anything with modeling paste but honestly don't think it's scary, actually as I look at his mustache the two ends kind of look like hands...LOL
and he's very surprised he's being tickled with his own mustache..teehee
He's kind of charming in an alarming way, now that's not an insult by any means, just it's contradictory to what you might expect and that to me is cool!

Elaine

Peanut Butter
01-27-2010, 08:27 PM
It does look like he is surprised he's being tickled by his own mustache!:lol: :lol: "Charming in an alarming way", I like that! It suits him perfectly!:D

The mustache was also an experiment. I used a cake decorating bag and tip to pipe it on. Unfortunately the paint I used was too thin and the individual strands all ran together. Next time, I'll use thicker paint for that.

I want to try another 3-D one, this time building the paste more slowly. This guy had some other issues with his facial features I'd like done more accurately and that might be easier to do using layers of paste rather than a glob. In any case it was fun and I think I learned from it so I really can't complain!:) (not too much at least!:lol: )

Andun
01-27-2010, 08:30 PM
I think it looks great!!! The eyes are a tad intense by it suits him!

OkeeKat
01-27-2010, 11:10 PM
what fun that must have been, and an experience it is.. only way to learn!!