PDA

View Full Version : ANNOUNCEMENT/INVITATION...to..."The Spotlight"

DAK723
01-25-2010, 04:21 PM
The Pastel Forum Team is pleased to announce a new monthly activity thread...The Spotlight!

The Spotlight will appear in the Soft Pastel Talk forum, replacing The Pastel Strokes, starting February 1st. Its format will be quite similar to the Strokes, in that it is an activity thread for pastel artists of all experience levels working from photos chosen by a monthly host. Most months, the host will choose photos from only one subject, putting that subject into “the spotlight,” so to speak! For example, one month the subject will be painting water, another month will spotlight flowers. Other future subjects in the spotlight include painting glass objects, shiny metal things, skies and clouds, trees, and so on.

Some months, rather than spotlight a subject, the focus will be on a technical or compositional challenge. In those cases, we might have a wider variety of photo references, but “the spotlight” will be on the challenge itself. Challenges will include using a limited palette, choosing a vertical or horizontal format, and painting upside down (the painting, not the painter!).

The nice thing about this type of group activity is that we can pool our knowledge and resources, and grow as artists in a fun, “no-pressure” atmosphere. So, let’s get ready to encourage one another and share in our discoveries! And no critiques unless specifically asked for. The intent, as it was in the Pastel Strokes, is to have fun, try new things, experiment, and perhaps most of all, to see what our friends and colleagues are painting from the same reference material!

So, let’s all plan on getting together in February and continuing our artistic journey in...The Spotlight!

Kathryn Wilson
01-26-2010, 08:11 PM
I, for one, look forward to these spotlights and I know that Don has put a lot of work into developing this new feature for the Pastel forum.

Tracy Lang
01-26-2010, 10:02 PM
What a great idea...looking forward to it!!!

Tracy

DAK723
01-26-2010, 11:17 PM
Thanks Tracy! I know, speaking on behalf of the Pastel Team, that we look forward to it, too! And I will mention that the development of The Spotlight was a team effort - I just did most of the typing!

I will be the host for the first Spotlight, so I look forward to seeing you there!

Don

Dougwas
01-26-2010, 11:20 PM
I look forward to paticipating in The Spotlight. This sounds like a great idea and I thank our wonderful pastel team for coming up with it.

Doug

Colorix
01-27-2010, 06:30 AM
This is a wonderful development of the monthly challenge! I'm really looking forward to it, as it is for *all* levels, and as it will help us grow no matter where we are on the learning curve, while at the same time being light and fun! Just perfect!

Charlie

Ruthie57
01-27-2010, 01:48 PM
Count me in! This is a great idea. Everyone, at some point, will be encouraged to tackle their own nightmare subjects as well as stuff they love and are comfortable with.

inmystudio
01-29-2010, 03:04 AM
Sounds like a great way to push myself and learn lots of new things, hope I'm brave enough to join in :eek:

robertsloan2
01-30-2010, 12:52 PM
Sounds like it'll be fun! Looking forward to seeing what the first one is. All of the subjects you mentioned are things I love painting and look forward to trying.

gakinme
01-31-2010, 09:44 AM
I could use all the advice from such a thread. I'm looking forward to it too. Thank you.

DAK723
01-31-2010, 04:29 PM
Thank you to all who have commented!

Don't worry about being brave! This is a non-pressure experience! There won't be any critiques, unless you specifically ask, and the goal will be to experiment and have fun!

For me personally, one of the things that I have enjoyed with this type of group setting - whether it was the old Pastel Strokes or the Landscape challenge - is seeing how other artists tackle the same reference photos. It has been something I have missed since being in art school - that shared experience! Without any formal lesson, just seeing what others decide to do with the same material - how they decide to crop, what colors they use, any other techniques that I might never have thought of - are all shared! So, starting tomorrow, I look forward to sharing this new activity together with you!

Don

pastelist
01-31-2010, 06:34 PM
What a great idea, I am really looking forward to it!
:clap:

jaytee
01-31-2010, 09:51 PM
This sounds exciting and will be a wonderful opportunity to expand my knowledge of this medium... and be challenged by subjects I usually avoid ( like trees and landscapes ! )

Could I please check though, before joining in, that the photographs we will be painting from will have copyright formally waived and we would be free to exhibit and/or sell any subsequent paintings IF they turn out to be any good !!! ( A big IF at this stage for me - but who knows further down the line - I can live in hope !!)

I ask because I once had appalling problems with a similar issue elsewhere on WC! after using a demo thread photo for a surprise gift to the 'tutor' ........and swore I would never again paint from anyone else's photo without specific written permission in advance !! It is simply not worth the hassle !

kadon
01-31-2010, 10:13 PM
Will you be starting this on a new thread Don? Kathy

DAK723
01-31-2010, 10:53 PM
Will you be starting this on a new thread Don? Kathy

Yes, it will be new thread, probably named The Spotlight - February 2010 or something equally unimaginative!

Don

DAK723
01-31-2010, 11:03 PM
This sounds exciting and will be a wonderful opportunity to expand my knowledge of this medium... and be challenged by subjects I usually avoid ( like trees and landscapes ! )

Could I please check though, before joining in, that the photographs we will be painting from will have copyright formally waived and we would be free to exhibit and/or sell any subsequent paintings IF they turn out to be any good !!! ( A big IF at this stage for me - but who knows further down the line - I can live in hope !!)

I ask because I once had appalling problems with a similar issue elsewhere on WC! after using a demo thread photo for a surprise gift to the 'tutor' ........and swore I would never again paint from anyone else's photo without specific written permission in advance !! It is simply not worth the hassle !
Yes, you will have full permission to use the photos to create your artwork and to sell them and/or exhibit them with no restrictions. The actual photos, similar to the photos in the Reference image library, still retain the copyright of the photographer. So you can not copy the photo to your blog, for example, without the permission of the photographer, or reproduce the photo for any purpose other than for your personal use.

Keep in mind, however, that many shows and competitions will stipulate that the work is done from original source material, in which case these would be disqualified. Other shows will allow reference photos by someone other than the artist, as long as they have permission. It depends on the shows particular rules.

Don

jaytee
01-31-2010, 11:05 PM
Don..... thank you so much for clarifying that for me :)

knippes
02-01-2010, 09:56 AM
This sounds like fun Don! I'm looking forward to it! Thanks for putting it all together for us.
-Kym

gingersnap
02-01-2010, 10:18 AM
don, the beauty in trying the same technique or subject is seeing how differently everyone approaches or sees!! quite looking forward to this! ginger

*Violet*
09-14-2010, 09:06 PM
would it be possible to put a link to each month's *spotlight* in the first post of this thread? ... and maybe keep a year's worth of links to previous month's *spotlights* conveniently there too, available to view even if they're officially closed? ... or at least perhaps two or three month's threads .... that way, it would make navigation to *the spotlight* a little quicker from the announcement thread which links to this thread which one must go to the *soft pastel talk* thread and then go to *the spotlight* thread ... and previous month's threads are not so easily available .... just a thought ... :angel: ...

Merethe T
09-15-2010, 03:38 PM
Violet, did you know that we have a sub-forum where all Spotlight threads (among other things) go at the end of the month? Take a look at the Soft Pastel Archives (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=441), you'll find previous Spotlight's, Strokes and other Challenges, quick and easy!