PDA

View Full Version : Realism in Acrylics

LisaDoodleHead
01-24-2010, 06:18 AM
Okay, I am new to this medium. Realism. How does one achieve that in acrylics? I would venture a guess that values being watched carefully, having figured out everything beforehand for your picture (plotting), would be the first thought to come to my mind. I know if my values are not balanced, any painting would look garish.

To achieve realism in watercolor, Susan Harrison-Tustain has a method of applying the watercolor so that she builds up layers of color. She can create wonderful depth. In oils, one can glaze and create the same effects. What about acrylics??? Is there anyone who paints in great realism, showing what the medium can do?

HankB
01-24-2010, 06:39 AM
What do you mean by great realism?

idylbrush
01-24-2010, 06:39 AM
There are many realists here. Look at maverick, lilibelle, debee, Roger Evans, just to name a few. There are far to many others to take time to print here. These will give you a start.

Maverick has a few lessons in the information kiosk that might be of interest.

Welcome to the acrylic forum, grab a seat and have some fun.

tonyjazz
01-24-2010, 09:19 AM
Welcome to the forum. Look forward to see your artworks soon.

Lady Carol
01-24-2010, 09:45 AM
To achieve realism in watercolor, Susan Harrison-Tustain has a method of applying the watercolor so that she builds up layers of color. She can create wonderful depth. In oils, one can glaze and create the same effects. What about acrylics??? Is there anyone who paints in great realism, showing what the medium can do?
Same with acrylics. Many layers and/or glazing.

Ianart (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603738)is another one who paints in excellent realism. If you are after someone famous, the Robert Bateman would be one to investigate.

noodle1
01-24-2010, 10:00 AM
Big Welcome from me too.

Ditto Howard and Carol! Looking forward to seeing your work.

Elaine

ribeyedsmile
01-24-2010, 11:24 AM
hi lisa.
realism as an objective is independent of the medium.

there are many, many exersizes to find.

There are many forms of realism as well ie: impressionism, fauvism, surrealism etc etc....

drawing an egg.

why do we always start newbies off with an egg. A seemingly simple form. All the elements of shadow, cast shadow, core shadow, highlight......... are easily recognized and pointed out.

After mastering the elements of rendering you can go anywhere with this.

The medium you choose is more based on subjective conserns such as passion, patience, handling.....

acrylic as a choice is very flexible and has many methods.

My thougth is that you read the many available techniques...
I learned more about acrylics by emulating glaze oil painting techniques with acrylics. Once I had that...I can go anywhere with them.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585317

LisaDoodleHead
01-24-2010, 07:33 PM
Hi Guys, and thanks for the welcome and the names to follow. I have found a few on line that knocked me out. I have seen a great deal of realism in people like Marvin Mattleson, Graydon Parrish and Richard Murdock, to name a few. I just can't stand the smell of turps, so an oil painter I am not! LOL!

The glazing of acrylics. I have to read on that. Do some practice exercises. Hum...maybe I can post them in a few days. We will see. Got to dig out from all the snow first. LOL!!!

PattiLou
01-24-2010, 08:06 PM
Carl Brenders is another famous artist using acrylics. He does amazing wildlife.

Andun
01-25-2010, 03:40 AM
You sure have come to the right place for realists:) You have been given some great ones to follow and best of luck!!

Einion
01-25-2010, 07:31 AM
Realism. How does one achieve that in acrylics?
Draughtsmanship first and foremost, then control of value. Both of these are absolutely vital to realist painting.

The next major step would be to work on your colour, with particular attention to the control of chroma. After that IMO it's then essentially a question of style - what to include, what to leave out.

I know if my values are not balanced, any painting would look garish.
This is generally an issue of chroma, not value. If you take a garish image and reduce the chroma by about half it will generally no longer look garish.

To achieve realism in watercolor, Susan Harrison-Tustain has a method of applying the watercolor so that she builds up layers of color. She can create wonderful depth. In oils, one can glaze and create the same effects. What about acrylics???
Same deal with acrylics. In fact it's easier with acrylics in many ways than in either watercolour or oils.

Layering/glazing is one of acrylic's key strengths, since it dries very fast (allowing quick progression from layer to layer - you can even speed drying with a hairdryer), and the dried paint isn't disturbed by wet paint applied on top of it. These two features are also acrylic's biggest problems as a rule, for which new types of paint have been created to increase the working time and add the ability to rewet.

Is there anyone who paints in great realism, showing what the medium can do?
There are many degrees of realism:
Gottfried Helnwein
Chuck Close
Robert Bateman
Denis Peterson
Lee Kromschroeder
Chris Moore
Terry Isaac
Michael Whelan
John Seerey-Lester
Richard Sloan
Daniel Smith
Hugh Greer
Daniel Chard
William Hook

Einion

sashntash
01-25-2010, 09:08 AM
If you are interested in using acrylics like watercolors, I suggest you buy or rent-to-watch on the computer, the 2 Charles Harrington videos.

Here's the Creative Catalyst Productions page for Charles Harrington.

http://www.ccpvideos.com/page/CCP/CTGY/ARTCPH

There are short free previews to watch for each of their videos.

He uses acrylics just like watercolors - with thin glazes - layer upon layer upon layer. As Einon said, acrylic actually has advantages over watercolor in using this method, because the underneath layers dry quickly and won't be disturbed by subsequent layers which can happen using watercolors.

If you don't want to buy the DVDs, Creative Catalyst has another website

www.artworkshops.tv

where you can rent their videos for a couple of days of watching on your computer.

I have rented both of the Charles Harrington videos and they are excellent.

The beauty of acrylics, for me, is that you can use them with any technique that you like. Glazing and layers like watercolor, thick impasto techniques like oils or anything in between.

Welcome to the acrylics forum !!!

OkeeKat
01-25-2010, 11:10 AM
Hi and Welcome Lisa!!:wave:
Look forward to seeing some of your artwork,
I'm stil new to acrylics, only been painting two yrs now and I think my artwork would be considered Realism.
Take a look and enjoy!!
I love painting in acrylics and do paint very thinly.

IanArt
01-25-2010, 08:32 PM
Carl Brenders is another famous artist using acrylics. He does amazing wildlife.

Brenders paints with gouache and watercolour. But you are right his work is amazing!

There are lots of great books on painting with acrylics. Some great beginner ones are Terry Isaacs painting magical moments in wildlife and John Agnew's painting the secret world of nature.

Ian

YLCIA
01-25-2010, 09:14 PM
Hello Lisa! :):wave:

I think of myself as a realist: not great one but... I paint with acrylics for 12 years. I love glazing. In oils it takes for ever but in acrylics it is much faster :)

Looking forward to see your works :):wave: