PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone been to a Golden Working Artist workshop?

Imzadi
01-24-2010, 03:42 AM
I am particularly interested in anyone who has been to a couple different workshops with different artist/teachers.

I'm making it a goal to try to take a couple art workshops a year. But, from my past studies, I've learned that taking a bunch of hodge podge workshops has just left me with a hodge podge of random techniques. Some not in the style of painting I really want to do.

Now, I really want to hone in on teachers that have similar styles, focus or techniques I want to do. I've learned that I could spend months trying to figure something out on my own, :confused: whereas an excellent teacher, with her wisdom of experience, having traveled down that same road, can cut through my months of struggles by telling me her insights in one or two sentences. :clap: So why try to reinvent the wheel when it's already been done by someone else?

I'm willing to travel for the right teachers/workshops/styles & techniques. (If they fit into my budget.) I found a couple of the Golden Working Artists have styles I like, who are doing demo workshops. I was really excited at first. But, then, reading more on the various workshops, I noticed most of the Golden Working Artists use the same exact description for all their workshops around the country. :eek:

So are these workshops just cookie cutter templates? That they are basically the same demos of Golden artist materials given by a variety of people and the Golden supplies & materials are the more important focus than studying with any specific artist/teacher and getting into their individual styles & techniques?

I really don't want to find I traveled halfway across the country, took two connecting flights for basically the same workshop (on materials) I could have driven several hours to instead. :mad:

idylbrush
01-24-2010, 06:49 AM
Golden workshops are all about their materials and how to use them. If there is one local that is under 30 miles away, attend it. It is worth the time and effort. To go halfway across the country, no, don't do it.

Check with your local art supply, junior college,college, art center, arts center and see what they are offering. You are more likely to get technique than material on these kind of classes.

sashntash
01-25-2010, 09:22 AM
I totally agree.

The Golden Working Artist workshops are all about using Golden's paints and mediums with various techniques. And I'm sure that all of them are the same - regardless of which artist is teaching it.

It's very much worth going to one. I was fortunate enough to attend one locally when I first started to paint 2 years ago and I learned a lot about heavy body paints and fluids and all the mediums and what you can do with them. It was a very interesting and worthwhile few hours and.. they sent us home with a goodie bag of samples !!

However, it is not something that I would travel more than a couple of hours drive for...

Hopefully you can find one scheduled close by at some point...

For other workshops.... I agree that it's important to find an artist whose style you like and then take a workshop from them.

Also..... I have become very fond of watching workshops on my computer.

Take a look at these 2 websites:

http://www.artworkshops.tv/ (the Creative Catalyst Productions "rental" site)

or

http://www.artistsnetwork.tv/ (the F&W "rental" site)

For the cost of travel, hotel and workshop fees for a "live" workshop, you could rent dozens of excellent workshops to watch right on your computer....

I've watched several on each site and they were excellent. Some are better than others, of course..... you need to watch the previews obviously... but both sites have a wide range of artists using various media and techniques.

But they are professional artists and professional production quality videos. What you see on the rental website is exactly what you would see if you bought the DVDs...