PDA

View Full Version : So what do I do now?

charliedawg
01-23-2010, 02:09 PM
Our local art group is "doing" acrylics this term. I am fairly new to acrylics so I went armed with paints and a cheap canvas. However, what the tutor wanted us to do was use acrylics with lots of water more or less like watercolour. When I tried this on the canvas most of the watery paint just landed at the bottom of the canvas. So I just puddled along with this doodle which got to look a bit like a lakeside scene.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jan-2010/125969-Acrylic-doodle-1.jpg

OkeeKat
01-23-2010, 02:52 PM
Hi Walter!
good to see you back with Acrylics, This turned into a quite interesting look!, You can probably turn it into a landscape, very loose, water scene.
Not sure how come the water pooled down, unless there was too much water. I use alot of very thin water paint, sometimes it starts out looking like a watercolor when doing my underpainting, but just build up the layers.. I guess its almost like glazing.
Only thing is some paints dont hold the pigment when thinned too much, but my Liquitex heavy body does very well. I can do numerous layers and still see the weave of the canvas thru, so its not thick at all.

Are you going to leave it like this or try to turn it into something else??
its pretty interesting when you keep looking at it.

allegretto
01-23-2010, 06:04 PM
I like your results. When I want to paint with acrylics using watercolor techniques, I prefer using flo-aid by Liquitex, instead of water. Actually, I always use flo-aid as a wetting and thinning-down agent. It mixes 20 parts water to 1 part flow aid, so a $6.00, 6 oz. bottle last for more than a year. I feel I have more control with the flo-aid rather than with water.
Happy painting!
Ciao, Pam

Foxyheart2002
01-23-2010, 06:08 PM
I too think it is quite interesting. Leave it as is, call it Autumn Lake or something like that, and let everybody's imagination fill in any gaps. Sign it and call it done.

If your teacher wanted it like watercolor, then perhaps it would be well to try it on watercolor paper. Most use it thick enough not to run, so I have no idea what your teacher as trying to get you to do especially on canvas. Perhaps ask?

I too use thin coats of the paint.....glazes mixed with small amounts of water built up over a base coat. You won't see heavy brushstrokes in my paintings.

allegretto
01-23-2010, 06:14 PM
Whenever I use watercolor techniques with acrylics, on paper or canvas, I always work flat, as you would with watercolors. This prevents running and pooling.
Happy painting!
Ciao, Pam

Bob Rooney
01-23-2010, 06:14 PM
Sometimes it is easier to paint with the canvas lying flat instead of on an easel, when you are using thinned paint that is likely to run.

purplepansey
01-23-2010, 06:37 PM
Charlie, I'd like to puddle along and doodle something that comes up looking half as good as yours. I really, really like this. Keep puddling and doodling.

charliedawg
01-24-2010, 07:23 AM
Hi Kathie ( long time no hear!), Pamela, Sue, Purple and Bob - many thanks for your kind words and useful hints - I should have taken a piece of heavy watercolour paper with me - I will know next time! Usually paint watercolours so acrylics are a bit of a journey into the unknown.

idylbrush
01-24-2010, 10:25 AM
I like it as is and see great potential for future works. Leave it alone in my humble opinion and enjoy it as is.

Artook
01-24-2010, 03:57 PM
I know how you feel on this. I choose acrylic too start learning with. I can tell on this painting too much water was added I did it all the time. I finally have it down now and works quite well.I also recommend,let me see if I can get this too make sense too use a dry brush too spread out the paint while it is still wet.