PDA

View Full Version : can you spray gesso?

noir
02-25-2001, 02:43 PM
Is it wise to airbrush gesso? Will I kill my airbrush? I know that cans of gesso are sold but I already have the tub and want to use what I have.

------------------
::have your robots spayed or neutered.

arlene
02-26-2001, 10:07 AM
Hi Noir,
It think you might get a better response to this question in the acrylic forum. I'll move it there for you.-arlene

------------------
http://www.artdebut.com/arlene.htm

carly
02-27-2001, 12:05 AM
Hello Noir! I've never tried airbrushing so I can't really give you a knowledgeable answer. I do know that gesso by nature does not liquefy as fine as paints or inks. And if you do get it fine enough to spray....it would take a lot of spraying to cover canvas or paper for sealing. And you would want to do a really good job of cleanup!

I've used paint sprayers before and they clog easily....I can't imagine how an airbrush would behave.

Are you wanting to use this in your painting or for another purpose?
I'm sure we have some other air brushers here...!
carly

------------------
"Everything is not art and Art is not everything, but it comes close."....carly

mstownsend
02-27-2001, 04:50 PM
You can spray gesso, but I would not use an airbrush as it's too small. Use a commercial sprayer that can handle housepaints, and thin with a quality Airbrush Medium. This adds retarders and levelers.

cuttlefish
02-28-2001, 06:43 AM
Yes, you can push gesso throug an airbrush. Be sure it is well thinned and thoroughly strained through a fine mesh (pantyhose material is good for this). It will accumulate on the tip of the airbrush even more rapidly than ordinary acrylic, so be prepared to clean it out frequently during application.

Dima
02-28-2001, 05:36 PM
Hello Noir,

May I ask what might be your motive for applying gesso that way?

Dick

------------------

eyeburp
03-13-2001, 01:49 PM
I would also recommend the larger spray gun over the airbrush. If you are looking for a smooth gessoed surface, they sell masonite precoated with gesso that's smooth as glass. Sure beats cursing at clogs!