PDA

View Full Version : Spiral Spiral Burning Brite

anthony mauve
01-22-2010, 05:56 AM
This is an 2-color acrylic on panel 24" x 24" with a 6" neon glass spiral.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jan-2010/16054-SPIRAL2.jpg

Orca
01-22-2010, 11:44 AM
That's just excellent; I really love the glass element!

Gal1952
01-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Good contrasts between the colours and the textures. Gal

clementine
01-22-2010, 02:26 PM
:thumbsup:
clem

anthony mauve
01-23-2010, 05:26 AM
Thanks for the comments folks!

timE
01-23-2010, 02:49 PM
i hate to say it's not really my thing.. theres not a lot to it, just a spiral dead center almost and not really saying much for me.. i do like that you're incorporating neon and paint together..

anthony mauve
01-24-2010, 05:38 AM
You may have to see the piece in person--the neon spiral has a warm glow not only on the wall but lights up the entire room.

Gal1952
01-25-2010, 04:13 AM
I was thinking this has to be seen in the dark as that's what neons are for, so we can't really appreciate it's full purpose here on a PC screen. I don't suppose there is any chance of it being reposted, lit is there? For fair comment.

Gal

anthony mauve
01-25-2010, 07:19 AM
Gal--I know what you mean--neon is best shown at nite a la Las Vegas. I'll try to get a good shot of the piece tonite--

harrymspitz
01-25-2010, 11:45 AM
One of the hardest things to do in Art is to mix mediums that are so far apart.
Neon is usually seen on glass or Formica. I'm not sure that this funky shiny acrylic background is really working with this neon spiral. I like the concept. I like the neutral centered way you presented this. It just might be that this photo is not presenting this piece at its best. I think Bruce Nauman attaches his neon directly to the wall and Dan Flavins florescent fixtures are simply placed in a room with white painted walls. I know that you are trying to do something different from these predecessors but this shiny painterly surface just looks wrong to me.

I like the spiral. I like the idea of putting a black back ground behind the neon. I think I like the painting. I just donít like the 2 together.

anthony mauve
01-25-2010, 12:18 PM
Thanks Harry--also thanks for mentioning Nauman and Flavin--great artists who I haven't thought about in a while. I've been putting neon that I make in a neon shop on painted backgrounds for quite a while--at first the background and the neon were complements--figurative paintings with neon highlights--but the work evolved as here--my take on getting two separate things (mediums) to get along even though they're disinclined to do so!

The painting in this piece is actually a dark green with a dark grey --not that apparent in the pic. hope I haven't bored you with this explanation.

anthony mauve
01-26-2010, 05:55 AM
Gal--here's a shot of the piece taken in a darkened space--the light from the tube spreads out in this light.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jan-2010/16054-britespir.jpg

Gal1952
01-26-2010, 08:09 PM
Wow, thanks so much for taking the trouble, I love it! This is definately the make way it shoud be viewed. Interestingly, I like the way the two ends of the coil make an almost triangle shape. I read several things into this work from a kitchen element to something surgical, scientific, space age, red light, or neon in general. I love experimentation, it gets me inspired, so much more interesting then following sheep!

Thanks once again.

Gal

anthony mauve
01-27-2010, 06:01 AM
Speaking of kitchen element--I made several of these neon spirals, then bought a few one-burner electric "stoves" replacing the coiled heating element with the neon tube. They worked the same way--you turned the dial and rather than a heat coil you turned on a neon light! Several were purchased by restauranters who broke nearly all of them by forgetting that the coil was glass not steel and putting a pot of stew on the glass--Crack!