PDA

View Full Version : liquid fixative

scubaroy
01-21-2010, 11:32 AM
Hi all, am having trouble finding some liquid fixative here in usa. been reading Bill Crevys pastel book and he has some nice techniques where he dips a brush into jar of fixative and splatters ontopart of his work to slightly discolor areas and add variety, kinda like how you can splatter paint when doing a watercolor. Spectrafix wont work from what I read about it , it doesnt change the color much. Found one call dale-rowney prefix they sell in liquid form, but only stores I see that sell it are in England. Anyone know a usa source?
Roy

westcoast_Mike
01-21-2010, 11:39 AM
Dakota has it, along with just about everything else pastel.

http://www.dakotapastels.com/pages/pastelaccessories-fixatives.aspx

Studio-1-F
01-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Hi, Roy! Isn't Creevy the BEST? I love looking at all the off-the-wall techniques in that book.

SpectraFix sells liquid fixative. It's available from Dakota.

Be sure to show us the results of your Creevy Fun!!

Jan

robertsloan2
01-21-2010, 02:07 PM
Thanks! I always wondered why you couldn't get liquid non-aerosol fixative anywhere. Blick has a mouth atomizer from Holbein that you can use with it if you want a fine spray.

Deborah Secor
01-21-2010, 07:01 PM
Why not try just dipping your brush in some plain old alcohol or getting a small can of Turpenoid/turpentine and splattering that? It would give the same effect, I bet. Both slightly darken the pastel.

Deborah

scubaroy
01-21-2010, 08:12 PM
Jan, yes creevy is great, here is one where i tried to use his dusting technique. If you look close you can see where I shaved some dust and pressed into paper. P.S. I did find some on ebay in the U.K. and it wwith shipping was cheaper than Dakota pastel would have charged for shipping, there shipping is too pricey to just buy one item from.
Royhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jan-2010/150906-jpeg_reencoded.jpg

PeggyB
01-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Very nice Roy. Bill is a special friend of mine, and I treasure his advice greatly. In fact I had a call from him - just to chat - on Tuesday. I think he'd be pleased with your outcome. You may have noticed - he loves texture!

Peggy

scubaroy
01-22-2010, 07:34 AM
Peggy,
Wow it is neat you know Bill! I am really an oil painter, just picked up pastels for my life drawing class since it is quicker. I have his oil painting book and was happy when I found his pastel one. Yes, I lov e his texture in pastel and oil, his books are my bibles. Please ask him to make a pastel and oil demo video, I would definatly buy them!
Roy:)

robertsloan2
01-22-2010, 01:41 PM
Roy, that is gorgeous! I love your vivid colors and wild textures on it. So lively and so full of depth.

That's great you were an oil painter before you did pastels. It shows in how you handle them so well.

Peggy, that's cool you know Bill Creevy. I love the book too, it's been so useful!