PDA

View Full Version : kiwi

rosee
09-14-2002, 01:03 AM
Here is a couple of prints that i did when i was about 11, i found it this morning when i was cleaning out the cupboard in mums art room, I showed it to mum who suggested i post in here.

It was a school project, we had to chose an animal and draw a design, which we then carved out of a lino tile with some diggy outy thingies that hurt if you slip and miss the tile (i have a scar to prove it!). We applied the ink with rollers before turning the lino upside down on to paper.

sassybird
09-15-2002, 01:03 PM
Rosee,

These are great!!! I love the kiwi and the colors you chose. I know what you mean about those diggy outy things hurting when they slip. I keep plasties with me all the time for knuckles, finger tips and the straight ones for other parts of my fingers and hands....lol Remember to always hold the piece at the bottom and cut away from your hand. I know that is hard sometimes, but it is easier than bandaging up those owies :D

I am a lot older than you are, and I still love working with lino. I hope you do some more of these, and keep at them from time to time. You will find that your technique will get better and better, and learn that you can use other things besides the cutty outy things to work on the lino with. I use an awl to poke holes in it as well as other things just to get different textures.

I haven't forgotten your kitty. Your mum probably told you why I have taken so much time to mail things out.

Gisela
09-17-2002, 04:39 PM
Very Kewl Kiwis! ;)

Are you still doing any work in lino? These are very nice -- I like your use of color too!

Gisela

rosee
09-18-2002, 01:57 AM
I really want to do some more work with printing but i have no idea where to get any thing from, i also dont know what the cutty out thingys are actually called or what paint to use! Could you please help me with this?

thanx!:)

sassybird
09-18-2002, 02:57 AM
Rosee, here in the states the cutty outy things are called Speedball Linoleum Cutter sets. Now there is oil based and water based ink. The oil base is permanent, but the water base will run if anything liquid gets on it. If you will go up to the sticky at the top of this page that I did on hand pulled lino cuts you will see a picture of the tools I used. They are marked as to what they are. Then you can get your mum to help you find something that is similar over in NZ. I know they do that kind of work over there, because a few NZ people here on WC have done some of this type work. If your mum has any trouble finding these things over there then have her send me a PM and I will see what I can do to help.

Greg C.
09-28-2002, 01:27 AM
You should REALLY consider doing some more of these...you have obvious talent. I love the one on the far right...wonderful colors and excellent use of line.