PDA

View Full Version : New to Acrylics

canvasishome
03-06-2001, 01:47 PM
Hello All,

I've been working in oils and watercolors for about 5 years now, and recently wanted
to give acrylics a try.

While I know that they can take on transparency characteristics of watercolor, I'd like to use them in an opaque technique closer to oils. I'll be using brush as well as knife techniques. I love the vivid color and flexibility they seem to have.

Any help, advice, books you can recommend for me would be very much appreciated!

Thanks.

-dk-

canvasishome
03-07-2001, 03:43 PM
Thank you for your nice input, folks! I admire Larry's works VERY much - he seems like such a great teacher and so easy to follow.

Larry, if you're lurking, thanks for your great teaching and advice.

I'll keep hacking away at the acrylic technique and post some results soon.

-dk-

VictoriaS
03-08-2001, 12:09 AM
Look down the list at Artistry's post, "Book Recommendations," posted on February 7. I only got the first one listed (at least I think that's what I got), and it's very good. Shows a number of different artists and tells about their techniques; nice to get more than one artist's idea of how to do things.

Being new to acrylics myself, I don't know what advice I can give except that, since you say you'll be using knife techniques, you might want to get some "Extra Heavy Gel Medium" (Golden makes it; I suppose the other companies do, too), which will make it easier to get impasto effects.

Good luck!

Victoria

idahogirl
03-08-2001, 12:58 AM
Larry Seiler did a great tutorial on using acrylics and making them look like oils. Here is the link http://www.wetcanvas.com/ArtSchool/Acrylics/Waterfall/

Happy Painting,

Dee

LarrySeiler
03-08-2001, 03:58 PM
Thanks....all part of the fun!

Larry

------------------
The Artsmentor

"Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do!" Edgar Degas

VictoriaS
03-09-2001, 06:37 PM
I was wrong in my previous message. The book I got is called "The North Light Book of Acrylic Painting Techniques" by Killeen. I think it's a good book for a beginner.

Bruce Newman
03-10-2001, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by deefox:
Larry Seiler did a great tutorial on using acrylics and making them look like oils. Here is the link http://www.wetcanvas.com/ArtSchool/Acrylics/Waterfall/

Happy Painting,

Dee

What a wonderful article, Larry! I definitely have to try painting that way. I've been painting for less than a year and, although I am happy with my progess so far, I am far too tight and controlled.

Thanks, deefox, for pointing out this article and thanks to Larry for contributing.

Bruce

------------------
http://go.to/bruce_newman

LarrySeiler
03-11-2001, 11:29 PM
Talk about tight and controlled, you should see my wildlife images made for competition, and those that have won. Two hundred to 300 hours to complete one of them, and acrylic allowing me to conduct all the insane detail I wanted!

Learning to loosen up was an assignment and challenge I gave to myself. 8^)

Larry

------------------
The Artsmentor

"Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do!" Edgar Degas