PDA

View Full Version : Pan Pastels vs Cats - Not a good Mix

knippes
01-15-2010, 05:42 PM
Thought you all might like a chuckle. My kitty took a jump onto my tray of Pan Pastels yesterday and sent them all flying. This is part of the result. (He has a white face underneath all of that black pastel.) Luckily only one of the pans was damaged beyond repair. All of the rest only have little dents or chucks missing. Collin, the kitty seems fine, albeit rather colorful.
-Kym
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jan-2010/112518-Colin-1.jpg

Deborah Secor
01-15-2010, 05:51 PM
Could have been worse!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jan-2010/23609-white-cat.jpg

Deborah

Dougwas
01-15-2010, 06:38 PM
Ooooo! New Pan applicators! :clap:

Doug

Lynndidj
01-15-2010, 07:42 PM
Looks like he has a slight tint of thalo green on that paw!!

Of course, cats are so amenable to having baths - I don't think there are any dangerous chemicals in the pans, so he will come clean soon enough!!!

Lynn

Paula Ford
01-15-2010, 07:49 PM
:lol: My Peanut still has a green cheek where she rubbed up against one of my paintings and her little paws are blue :lol:

robertsloan2
01-16-2010, 12:22 AM
Aww poor Collin! I bet he got so scared when they went out from under him. Love that face, snoot full of lamp black might teach him to stay out of the art supplies.

This reminds me of a gray cat with white mittens I had in New Orleans who ran across an oil painting that had a deep black Alizarin-Ultramarine shaded to black background, Alizarin on the light side and Ultramarine on the dark. He went from the painting to the palette, stepped in the paint firmly and took off across my apartment gaily leaving red and blue cat footprints everywhere he went.

Up onto the kitchen counter, across the floor, across the top of the fridge, across my chair again and then I caught him. Dangling him by the back of the neck in the Kitten Grip, I hauled the tubby little overweight mischief-maker with emergency-psychotic strength into the bathroom, bending to get out the tub of Plumber's Goop that I used to get the oils off my hands.

I then gave him the most miserable half hour of his life rubbing Plumber's Goop into his feet and massaging it in, then rinsing it out and repeating. He got his feet washed. He got very confused and wailed miserably till I got out every bit of color I could, the water ran clean, and I couldn't hold on to him any more.

Those are staining colors.

For weeks he had one hot pink foot and three sky blue feet. It didn't seem to hurt his health but he looked so silly!

Then I cleaned up the apartment, kept the cat prints on the cheap thrift store armchair, fixed the painting. I started putting a cleaned off plastic cake tray lid over the palette if I so much as got up to change channels on the television. That was all it took for him to run over the painting and palette.

At least it was in that order, I didn't have to completely redo the face and get red cat prints off it, just rework the footprints out of the background.

LOL Deborah, yep! That's what it'd look like if a cat laid down in one of those new Pans trays where they don't have lids on... wonderful!

Lyta
01-16-2010, 12:40 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: Aren't cats just the most artistic creatures in the universe?

pastellady
01-17-2010, 06:19 PM
Our daughter-in-law's cat is small enough to walk across the bottom of my easel. She wiped out the entire bottom of a commissioned pastel portrait. Then she hauled out running thru the house leaving pastel dust everywhere in her wake-walls, floors, the other cats-until Chrissy caught up with her and brushed off as much as she could before the dreaded bathing. I was amazed someone didn't call animal cruelty as the cat sounded like she was being killed while in the bath. After that we put a door on the studio.

Donna A
01-20-2010, 06:58 PM
Oh, Jennylynne! Oh, Robert! Oh, Kym---and all the rest of us who have had such adventures---and our little cats have had SUCH adventures!!! Is THAT why I've only had black cats the last 5 of them? LOL! Well, thankfully, it's been a long time since I've had a cat that climbed up on my pastel tables---and only when I was gone and only found the 'evidence!' But I have had an adventure or two like Jennylynne with a cat redecorating a painting and itself, to boot! Well, guess it beats their getting into the oil paint! Whew!

The question might be---anyone with a cat who has NOT had them get into the pastels at least once! LOL! I shall hope so! xxx Donna ;-}

JPQ
01-20-2010, 09:15 PM
Looks like he has a slight tint of thalo green on that paw!!

Of course, cats are so amenable to having baths - I don't think there are any dangerous chemicals in the pans, so he will come clean soon enough!!!

Lynn

I not sure about pigment green 50 i think some colours use least pigment name there is word Cobalt... and other one is Pigment Blue 36 which also contains in name word Cobalt. Look more closely these pigments...
ps. saddly i dont know where i can get these pan pastels i really like how these work. oops now i know even good shop which allredy telled by one member.(shop is Sweden but). I maybe someday test this stuff.

Deborah Secor
01-20-2010, 11:02 PM
Well, my tabby cat, Sheena, passed on a few years ago now but the funny thing was she never did get into the pastels the way you all are describing. Maybe that's because she had her box in the corner of my studio, snuggled next to the palettes and various detritus around them, right next to a window where she could watch the world (and also within a few feet of the wood stove. She and I both loved warmth.) I suspect she thought of the pastels as 'hers'. She lived to be 18 and spent many of those years amid pastel dust, so I don't think they did her any harm--unless she was meant to live to 25 and they shortened her life!

Oh, and bathing. You all do know the screen trick, don't you? It's probably common, but when my husband told me how to do it I was amazed.

Deborah

robertsloan2
01-20-2010, 11:17 PM
No, Deborah! I never heard of the screen trick for bathing cats. Please tell me. Ari has great skill at cat fu and he doesn't cooperate with vets too well. He's definitely scared of water. If I have to discipline him, just picking up the Holbein watercolor spray bottle is enough for him to clear off out of whatever he was messing into.

I just keep water in it, not actual paint. It turned out to be useful for more than dampening watercolor pencils sketches, it's a cat deterrent that only needs to be used once in twenty times to convince him that yes, I am willing to give him a spritz.

18 is a good long life for a cat. That's neat she had such a cosy spot with her window and wood stove. Ari loves the window of this room and the heated waterbed. When I turn on the space heater next to me, that almost guarantees a lap cat too.

JPQ
01-21-2010, 02:33 PM
Well, my tabby cat, Sheena, passed on a few years ago now but the funny thing was she never did get into the pastels the way you all are describing. Maybe that's because she had her box in the corner of my studio, snuggled next to the palettes and various detritus around them, right next to a window where she could watch the world (and also within a few feet of the wood stove. She and I both loved warmth.) I suspect she thought of the pastels as 'hers'. She lived to be 18 and spent many of those years amid pastel dust, so I don't think they did her any harm--unless she was meant to live to 25 and they shortened her life!

Oh, and bathing. You all do know the screen trick, don't you? It's probably common, but when my husband told me how to do it I was amazed.

Deborah

Not all pastels contains these pigments actually second kind what i know which uses pigment green 50 is Schimcke. But saddly i dont found any info about sennlier pigments and/or lightfastness. I asked sennlier and their tell ask importer and people what cares this thing i think is about nowweek sick.

inmystudio
01-21-2010, 03:47 PM
Such funny cat stories, Kym your cat looks so content and very pleased with himself!

I have to say thanks for this post I hadn't really thought about the damage a cat can do, it must be heart breaking if you have put so much effort into a painting only to have it thoughtlessly wiped away by your cat.

Then again I think my cat is already putting a lot of thought into what he is going to do.:evil:

This is Bosun on the first day I set up my pastel table in the studio I was
out for about 15 mins and came back to him quite settled.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jan-2010/210584-cat_in_a_box.jpg

This is the look I got when I went mad on him, and he does have the attitude to go with it.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jan-2010/210584-fang.jpg

I think I might have to get a water spray.

robertsloan2
01-21-2010, 04:10 PM
LOL!!! Bosun looks like a bossy cat! He's gorgeous, I love that grim look on his face though. Outraged felinity!

That would make a great reference for a portrait of him. Both of them would. He's so sleek and handsome.

Nice set of Art Spectrums too!

inmystudio
01-21-2010, 04:20 PM
Your right Robert he is bossy and he usually has the tip of his fang hanging down from the right side of his mouth!

robertsloan2
01-21-2010, 05:41 PM
He's got a great fang. Ari's fangs do that too. I wonder if they're evolving toward saber tooths again? Great ears on Bosun too. He's dramatic!

jbeausoleil
01-21-2010, 06:00 PM
Ah hahahahaha!
Thus the name of my site: The Studio Cats Gallery!
I even dedicated an album to my feline artist friends! I keep an extra camera in the studio just to keep up with them. I told my family that a piece in not finished if at least one of them does not put their signature somewhere on the project. Try pouring watercolors with interested kitties! Needless to say - I don't use the toxic pigments often - then I am careful whether they appreciate it or not!

What a great thread. If you click on my signature it will take anyone to the cats in my studio - for those of you not working right now of course ;)

pastellady
01-21-2010, 11:20 PM
Donna A, your cats are the exception to the rule-they are soooo well behaved-even during class time. I think my problem with cats is that I tend to raise them with my dogs-so they never now which species they truly are.

Colorix
01-22-2010, 12:38 PM
Oh my, Bosun is not to be messed with! In the first pic, he looks like "Just try to move me -- make my day!" The second pic is priceless! What a beauty, with temper, disgust, and all!

Luckily pastel boxes are not enough like litter boxes...

Charlie

Deborah Secor
01-22-2010, 02:19 PM
No, Deborah! I never heard of the screen trick for bathing cats. Please tell me. Ari has great skill at cat fu and he doesn't cooperate with vets too well. He's definitely scared of water.

Just find an old window screen and put it at an angle in the tub, propped up on some soft towels. The cat will cling to the screen rather than laying claws into you. Once they get fastened into it, and resigned to the water torture, it gives them purchase and security (although it also sometimes gives them a way to LAUNCH out of the tub--but at least it doesn't cost you skin into the bargain.) If the room is quiet, the water isn't running but is warm and already a bit soapy, when the cat gets a grip on that screen she'll hold on for dear life and allow you, her beloved person, one hopes, to administer what is needed from a human perspective. Since my cat decided I was the sole person allowed to touch her without suffering the consequences, she and I had to sort out such things. :p

Love the photos of Bosun! :lol: The look reminds me of a surly teenager...

Deborah

robertsloan2
01-22-2010, 03:55 PM
Wow, that is clever! I'll make a note of it and try it the next time there's an accident involving Ari. It's not common though. He's the world's best self cleaning long hair, my half of the deal is that I clean up his hairballs. But if something gets spilled on him or he gets into my pastels I'll use the screen trick! Thank you!

That probably would've vorked even for Vila's feet, if they were stuck to the screen it'd be easy to get Goop all over them and rinse.

They probably tell stories about "human water torture."

ElsieH
01-22-2010, 11:33 PM
:wave:
Oh, how funny! Pastels and cats just seem to go together!
I loved the pix!

The Marshall Art of Cat Bathing!:lol: :cat:

When we were working on building my new studio in the room in the basement recently, we had a cat-tasrophy, but we just decided to not clean it up!
I was painting the cabinets with white acryllic paint and Uriel, our cat, was supervising as he does all things art in our house...actully all things art or otherwise! :wink2: Anyway, I had just started on the inside of the larger cabinet. He had been in and out of the cabinet before the painting started and had left the room. Back he came and somehow did not realize...well, before I could prevent it, he landed in the cabinet, on the shelf..newly painted, with all four paws! Quicker than he came in, he leaped back out and took off across the floor, leaving a lovely path of cat tracks! By the time he was up the stairs and into the kitchen all the paint was off the paws! We cleaned up a few of the tracks leading to the stairs, but I left his art work on the studio floor! Uriel left his mark on the world of art! :lol: :cat:

He adopted my recycling paper box in my study as his point of supervision, but in the new studio he has a nice new basket....away from the pastels. Actually, he has never shown the least interest in getting up into the pastel palette area, but occasionally walks over and gives C&C on my current painting! :p

Urie sends his greetings to all the WC Pastel Forum Cats:cat: Oh, yes, to the doggies, too!

Donna A
01-23-2010, 04:36 PM
Ohhh, inmystudio! Now your cat really knows how to do it! LOL! Goodness! (And yet another black cat!) Does that set The Tone for the new studio or WHAT! Here is hoping that you find other things to facinate your little cat rather than those lovely pastels!

And jbeausoleil! I must visit your site! Great name!

Thanks, Deborah for the 'screen' tip! May we all never need it---at least not in a cat/pastel emergency! :cat:

My cats have always loved the wide window sills I very especially built for them when I added on my studio to my house. I actually have a couch in front of one of the windows in the alcove on the south and pillows laying on the window sill and back of the couch. That's THE favorite place! A LOT more fun those old dry non-sun-filled pastels! (whew!!!!!) :-) Ya'all take good care! Donna ;-}

Potoma
01-23-2010, 04:48 PM
I have several oils that I worked the cat paws into the composition. My cats are very helpful! I've posted Pastel Cats pictures here before, just never caught them in the act "helping" with the oils.

robertsloan2
01-23-2010, 11:29 PM
Elsie, that's neat that you kept the cat prints in the studio! I couldn't do that back in my apartment when I had Vila, it was rented. But I was so tempted to, most of them were perfectly shaped in cheery red and blue marks. Great that the cat got it off the paws too.

Donna, now I know why your studio cats are so well behaved. Great trick! I need to create a good cat path across my table so they don't play Drop Things with my stuff.