PDA

View Full Version : Paint a Winter Landscape in 4 Easy Steps

jenniferlepore
01-15-2010, 10:19 AM
In this artistsnetwork.tv (http://www.artistsnetwork.tv) workshop, The Evening Landscape, watercolorist Sterling Edwards shows you how to paint a warm, serene, evening glow on a snow-covered field, step by step. Sterling starts with a few demos on how to use bristle brushes for everything from graded washes to grass texture. Then he puts his trusty brushes and four-step process to use as he paints a snowy scene--paint the midtones, lay in darkest darks, selectively glaze, add final details. His painting method is a great guide no matter what your subject! In this preview he shows step one of his four-step process. Enjoy!

In this preview, follow along with Sterling as he shows how to lay in the midtones as step 1 of your snowy scene.

UBnG5Nun89s

JamieWG
02-10-2010, 08:29 AM
I really enjoyed this video!

Jamie

jenniferlepore
02-10-2010, 02:09 PM
Glad to hear you like Sterling Edwards Evening Landscape video, Jamie. I love how loose he starts the painting, and then how just those small touches of detail bring the painting into focus and pop the scene.

JamieWG
02-10-2010, 04:55 PM
There was a lot to like about that painting and presentation, Jennifer. I think I'm going to get his palette too. I can see why he needs the wider wells with those big brushes he uses. It was interesting to me to see how he made those middle ground tree masses on the left work. Initially I didn't see it happening, but when he added the little bit of detailing later in the painting, as you said it all came together. I think this painting was much more successful than his fall colors video.... Watercolor can be like that! It's the beauty and the curse of the medium! This winter scene really spoke to me.

Jamie