PDA

View Full Version : Another ACEO Still Life & Lessons Learned!

sati
01-14-2010, 04:05 PM
Hi again:

I did another still life ACEO sized. You will notice that there are two pictures. One of them was scanned using my scanner -- that would be the grainy one with the yellow tomatoes! The other one was photographed using my digital camera -- that would be the one without the awful grainy look and with the realistic colors.

I learned four things from doing this piece:
1. I'm hooked on doing still life pieces and now have the urge to do a larger one.
2. Dark umber makes a great addition to shadows.
3. I love illustration board even more than I thought. It's a great surface, takes a ton of abuse.
4. I will never scan again! Even though setting the digital camera up on a tripod is a pain in the a--, I will do it!

So, here are my tomatoes. The image came from the RIL (what would we do without the RIL?). Comments welcome.

Linda

Lyta
01-14-2010, 04:29 PM
I like those tomatoes, Linda! :thumbsup: And I can relate to the issues you're having with your scanner... There are ways to solve that, but I simply use my camera too. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your still lives! :D

RobinZ
01-14-2010, 05:25 PM
I hate the way my work looks online, so you have good company and I know these are even MORE gorgeous in real life!!

timo
01-14-2010, 05:36 PM
Beautiful tomatoes Linda.
You did the colors and highlights in front of the window very well.
And yes what a big difference scanned or making a picture....

bgreenaker
01-14-2010, 06:09 PM
Very nice job! I can definitely tell the difference between the 2 pix but you know what? I like them both.:thumbsup:
I've never used illustration board now I'll have to add it to my list of things to buy.
Betsy:wave:

ocmd123
01-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Lovely colors, and great job with the light and shadows. Definitely time to tackle a larger project!

Dougwas
01-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Very good job, Linda. I always admire these small paintings and wonder how a person can get so much in such a small area. Maybe I will try one. I am another person who likes still lifes. They are very addictive.:evil:

Doug

bchlvr
01-14-2010, 10:18 PM
Great job on these.

Doxie Mama
01-14-2010, 10:33 PM
Beautiful work. I do like the photo better. I have to give that a try.
Love the nice shine and yes, love to use the dark umber for some of my shadows.

cjc45
01-14-2010, 10:35 PM
Did you check the settings on your scanner software? I realized the default setting on mine is a relatively low quality, good for documents. The highest quality is MUCH slower but is worth it for a few pages at a time.

ourcassidy!
01-16-2010, 07:29 PM
Really like these! Great Job! Pam

ladypainter
01-17-2010, 06:58 AM
Really lovely still life. I like both of the pictures very much.:)

Lexycat
01-17-2010, 07:48 AM
I'm fascinated how some people do such a good job with these small pieces, I love your other ones also. I must give it a try, seems a great idea especially with the slowness of CPs to try new subjects and get more practice in before trying it on a larger scale. Well done on all three:clap: