PDA

View Full Version : how to...

details
01-13-2010, 11:54 PM
hi, ^_^

i'm new here and i'm looking for advise on how to give my painting a "mood" using colors. by mood i mean like a cold sleepy feeling using hues of blues or a hot and fiery mood usings hues of reds.. am i making any sence?

what colors or things should i add and where should i put them to make the painting look colder or what ever mood you think is best for the picture?

thanks ^_^

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa153/nesyap/Img_1043.jpg

this painting is based on a picture from sooper-deviant's files

AnthonyLee
01-14-2010, 12:53 AM
Great job on this!, and sooper-deviant has some great pics , don't he?, was just there yesterday myself.
Personally , whether it's my monitor or not , I would suggest toning down the orange a bit , it looks too straight-out-of-the-tube and needs more variation.
You sound as if you want the major contrast and vivid colors , so you might try adding some mid-tone to the tiger's body (like the darker area between his eyes), like burnt sienna dulled with a small amount of umber , just me , only an opinion , you are the artist , and only you know what you are truly looking for. :)

jody007
01-14-2010, 09:33 AM
Welcome to the zoo! Wow beautiful painting!
Jody

stirling
01-14-2010, 10:45 AM
I agree with Tony about the strong Orange colour but will give you chance to finish first,love the pose.

Best from mike.

IanArt
01-14-2010, 07:32 PM
This is what I would do. Yo should also consider the balance in this painting. It does not seem very level.

Ian

valleys twilight
01-14-2010, 08:08 PM
wow what an absolute stunning painting I love this
regards Clive

details
01-14-2010, 08:54 PM
hello all, thank you so much for your advices.

to tony and mike : i did get my orange straight-out-of-the-tube ^_^ haha.. i'm waiting for all the critiques to come in before i start retouching. the funny thing is, while painting, i've been asking non-artist friends if they think the orange is too bright but they didn't notice it. its really best to ask another artist about these matters ^_^

to ian: thank you for the balance advice. ^_^

to jody and clive: i'm glad you guys like this ^_^

i forgot to add the specs of my painting:
oil on 22" x 26" artist canvas panel.
there's a boarder of white on my painting because if i paint until the edge my finger print will stick to the oil and i'll just go crazy from retouching. i also plan to frame this painting, an extender will cover the white boarder ^_^

PaintedLass
01-15-2010, 05:41 PM
I agree about the orange, and absolutely love what you've done! It looks fantastic already, so I can't wait to see it when it's finished!

Calamity Blue
01-15-2010, 06:44 PM
Beautiful! I love the pose! I'll be watching with interest. :thumbsup:

PETE K
01-15-2010, 11:11 PM
this is fantastic, cant wait to see what else you do.

Pazza
01-16-2010, 01:12 AM
For starters very nice work.

As for the orange I'd be trying to get it back to more of a brown, the light isn't right for it to be that bright of an orange.

Next id think about fading the distant areas keeping the sharpest details on the head and paw. This will draw the viewers eye to the focal point in this case the face and paw of the tiger. You already have the right idea in mind with the use of warm and cool colours too. Really the straight tube orange is the only real problem with what is a very nice looking painting.

photoshop adjustment (hope you don't mind, pic tells 1000 words)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jan-2010/90544-tiger.jpg

online art
01-16-2010, 06:05 AM
I agree with the above regarding the orange, I would also cnahge the staright vertical line which devides the canvas in half and makes it look unnatural - looks like part of a wall, I guess it is like that on the ref - GREAT start to the painting BTW :)